• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's "FIX" for the XM Antenna Issues -- 2023 RT

Motor32

Motor32
My bike has been at the dealer for the last 17 days (600 miles service and XM/AM antenna issues). The dealer just sent me this photo of the "FIX" for the XM that BMW has them installing. It looks like a Sirrus branded XM antenna, on the right. They're rerouting the wire because it's shorter than the stock one.

Waiting to hear more about the AM issue from them.

Nothing was happening after complaining and talking/emailing BMW-USA countless times, until I sent my videos of the problems to BMW-HQ in Berlin, the next day BMW-USA agreed to take care of it.

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1S-LN-HogY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trnRnMsUIZ0

image.png

I had the XM antenna replaced by the dealer and it works better than the stock one but not quite as good as the one I got off Amazon and mounted on the rear rack. I don't have the original part number.
New part number 65218521436
TSARA case ID 2227691

My bike has been at the dealer for the last 17 days (600 miles service and XM/AM antenna issues). The dealer just sent me this photo of the "FIX" for the XM that BMW has them installing. It looks like a Sirrus branded XM antenna, on the right. They're rerouting the wire because it's shorter than the stock one.

Waiting to hear more about the AM issue from them.

Nothing was happening after complaining and talking/emailing BMW-USA countless times, until I sent my videos of the problems to BMW-HQ in Berlin, the next day BMW-USA agreed to take care of it.

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1S-LN-HogY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trnRnMsUIZ0

View attachment 91032

So far, so good with the new Sirrus XM antenna. No loss of signal for my 30 minute ride, before it was every few minutes. I forgot to check the AM, so that'll be on the next ride.

Steve

Steve, when you can would you please post part numbers of the original part and the replacement?

This is the one they put on my bike, so far no-more (No Signal) showing up on the TFT. I haven't had any issues with it at all. The picture is the mushroom on its side and the BMW replacement.

Here's the replacement parts numbers from the dealer paperwork (why there's two, I'm not sure)???

Antenna for SDARS :

Steve

image.png

This is the one they put on my bike, so far no-more (No Signal) showing up on the TFT. I haven't had any issues with it at all. The picture is the mushroom on its side and the BMW replacement.

Here's the replacement parts numbers from the dealer paperwork (why there's two, I'm not sure)???

Antenna for SDARS :

Steve

View attachment 91125

Steve, 65211686626 is the original antenna that is new for the 21+ RT, 65218521436 is the previous one that works much better. Any update on how the AM antenna is working? I wonder if they kept the same location as the original antenna or if they installed it in the same location as on the Wetheads?

For AM reception it was common to have to adjust a “tuning slug” on the back of radios especially when AM reception was a factor. I don’t know if there has been an advancement in newer radios. If there was a manual supplement with the bike, it may indicate what is on the rear of the radio. It could be researched online if the model number of the radios were visible.

OM

For AM reception it was common to have to adjust a “tuning slug” on the back of radios especially when AM reception was a factor. I don’t know if there has been an advancement in newer radios. If there was a manual supplement with the bike, it may indicate what is on the rear of the radio. It could be researched online if the model number of the radios were visible.

OM

My '22 RT gets zero AM stations with the stock antenna. Plug in a cheapo short rod AM antenna in the same place on the bike and bingo! All kinds of stations. I would conclude the radio is fine and either there are a lot of defective AM antennas or its just a poor design. I'll note that the stock antenna is labeled "AM/FM" even though BMW uses a separate FM antenna.

My '22 RT gets zero AM stations with the stock antenna. Plug in a cheapo short rod AM antenna in the same place on the bike and bingo! All kinds of stations. I would conclude the radio is fine and either there are a lot of defective AM antennas or its just a poor design. I'll note that the stock antenna is labeled "AM/FM" even though BMW uses a separate FM antenna.

Perfect test :thumb

An AM antenna should be as long as possible. Chances are “they” are fudging it for style concerns.

OM

Steve, 65211686626 is the original antenna that is new for the 21+ RT, 65218521436 is the previous one that works much better. Any update on how the AM antenna is working? I wonder if they kept the same location as the original antenna or if they installed it in the same location as on the Wetheads?

They said the AM is working correctly, and the reason they gave was because my Skeene brake lights were interfering with the signal (BS). After three weeks at the dealer, I was beyond fed up and just wanted my bike back.

Steve

I don't have any idea if my '15RT has a radio. Guess I should go to the garage to check it out - just so I know.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However, I DID replace the antenna with a stubby one but did so because 1) the long factory antenna was ugly and 2) it was in the way when working around the right side of the bike.

If I want something to listen to, and choose not to use ear plugs, when I make a stop for gas, eats, whatever, I pull the plugs and simply use a USB with my selected music for boring interstate drones.

When I ride, I do so to get away from it all and generally wear Hearos ear plugs to shut out all the noise to just enjoy a peaceful ride.

Part Number

Jono,

Do you have a part number for the cheapo AM antenna?

I did purchase and try the antenna but having counted the fm stations available with the stock and the replacement, I still use the stock antenna. I did recently purchase a replacement off Amazon for about 20$ that I will use over the stock XM antenna.

Back