• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

camping

Parawing

Sorry but I thought $230 was a bit expensive for a 10 foot square piece of nylon. In which case my post WAS relevant. JMHO Guess I had better check up on this MSR Parawing, it must be a little more than it appears. :dunno

I've used a Parawing for a number of years. The cut of the tarp exhibits no flat surfaces akin to a boat sail. The beauty in the design is that, if set properly, it is windproof. Mountain winds, thunderstorm first gust, it just stands there.
My wing is about 10 years old and is still in excellent condition. The price has gone up significantly, inflation I suppose.

Motard

Sorry but I thought $230 was a bit expensive for a 10 foot square piece of nylon. In which case my post WAS relevant. JMHO Guess I had better check up on this MSR Parawing, it must be a little more than it appears. :dunno

I agree about the price; it's hard to justify spending as much (or more) on a parawing as I did for my tent. I even got a new tent this year, with a large vestibule, fly-first design (you then can "hang the tent from the fly - great in rain!) and it's 3.5-season... and was the same price as one of those parawings. I guess I'm just cheap...

Of course, now that I checked out the price on the Kelty Noah, I could actually see buying one of those. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, that is the cost for the tarp ONLY. Then you have to add $30 for a pole (possibly have to get TWO of those it seems), so that kicks the price up to about $85-$115 for the 9x9 model. Still better than a parawing, though.

It was relevant, Fritz. JMHO ;)

I just want to know if I can put up a tent at the campground. I am on a ship and won't get off until a day or so before the rally. I will have to get home to Michigan, after three months, and start packing for the rally. My wife is wondering about my priority,s, but this will be my first rally.

Get a lawyer - maybe you can get one from Walmart or on the web. Either bring her (she can follow in a car) or start the long and costly goodby process.

I've used a Parawing for a number of years. The cut of the tarp exhibits no flat surfaces akin to a boat sail. The beauty in the design is that, if set properly, it is windproof. Mountain winds, thunderstorm first gust, it just stands there.
My wing is about 10 years old and is still in excellent condition. The price has gone up significantly, inflation I suppose.

Motard

When the parawing is set up correctly it is incredibily strong. We use ours at the beach using sand anchors and it has always held well with the constant winds.

Plenty of good stuff here.

RE: Expense the MSR price includes poles, stakes and rope but yes it is still on the pricy side although one user did report that after 10 years his is still going strong.

So you can go to wally world and purchase a blue tarp every time you go camping which seems to be the culture we are headed toward this summer. Considering poly tarps use petroleum product and are generally left behind for someone else to deal with for my use it is not an acceptable solution. Of course YMMV and all that. What is the cost to society if everyone who wanted shade set up a hillbilly camp with poly tarps each year?

I am a big fan of qulity camping gear. If cared for properly it will last a very long time. Another benefit is that in the event of a serious storm (think Lima) while everyone else is bailing out their tent and drying their sleeping bag I am helping them out because my stuff is secure. I will say that in Lima just before the strom hit I pulled the poles on the 'wing and retensioned the ropes so it would not flog or pull a stake.

FWIW, MSR stands for Mountan Safety Research and all their gear is "Everest ready". I would not claim to have my survival depend on my tent while MC camping but my enjoyment does. I also have been known to winter camp (not on a bike) and use my gear for non mc travel too which helps justify the expense.

It is up to you to decide if you want to go that route, as Mike said the Kelty he has is perfect for his use.

In the end every solution mentioned in this thread would be fine for a rally.

Or you can get a bunch of 33 gallon garbage bags, slice them to open them up then duct tape them together and stand them up with some nice aluminum poles. That'll give you all the shade you need and its light to pack. :stick

Thank You All

Thank you all for the information. This will be my first rally and I am looking forward to meeting everyone. To robnye....I am on a ship..a great lake 1000 footer. I am due of in Superior Wis. on the 7th of July. I will have to get home to Haslett Mich. unpack the truck.....pack the bike and leave my wife again. I left home on 15th of April. She is wishing me a good time. The horses will keep her home.

Plenty of good stuff here.

RE: Expense the MSR price includes poles, stakes and rope but yes it is still on the pricy side although one user did report that after 10 years his is still going strong.

So you can go to wally world and purchase a blue tarp every time you go camping which seems to be the culture we are headed toward this summer. Considering poly tarps use petroleum product and are generally left behind for someone else to deal with for my use it is not an acceptable solution. Of course YMMV and all that. What is the cost to society if everyone who wanted shade set up a hillbilly camp with poly tarps each year?

I am a big fan of qulity camping gear. If cared for properly it will last a very long time. Another benefit is that in the event of a serious storm (think Lima) while everyone else is bailing out their tent and drying their sleeping bag I am helping them out because my stuff is secure. I will say that in Lima just before the strom hit I pulled the poles on the 'wing and retensioned the ropes so it would not flog or pull a stake.

FWIW, MSR stands for Mountan Safety Research and all their gear is "Everest ready". I would not claim to have my survival depend on my tent while MC camping but my enjoyment does. I also have been known to winter camp (not on a bike) and use my gear for non mc travel too which helps justify the expense.

It is up to you to decide if you want to go that route, as Mike said the Kelty he has is perfect for his use.

In the end every solution mentioned in this thread would be fine for a rally.

I agree that it's better to buy quality equipment that will last for a long time; which is why I have invested so much money this year on a tent, a super-packable but warm sleeping bag, a nice duffel, and on and on and on. I'm not taking anything additional for shade, actually; I'll be out for 14 days (before/after rally) and will camp all but one night, so it pays to have good gear. For the amount of miles I'll be covering, it's not worth the extra time to set up a parawing; I probably won't be stopping until the sun is lower in the sky.

As for MSR, I'd like to see someone climb everest and then set up a parawing at the top. :laugh

In all seriousness, I've seen them, I've sat under them, and they ARE a quality product. I still have troubles parting with that much money for one.. but I DID finally cave and get a Kermit chair; although mine was a "mistake" model (one leg slightly big if you want to use the leg extensions), so I got it for less than the normal price.

Or you can get a bunch of 33 gallon garbage bags, slice them to open them up then duct tape them together and stand them up with some nice aluminum poles. That'll give you all the shade you need and its light to pack.

You've been hanging around Brian too long.

Hope I get to set up camp next to Rob.

His awning is big enough for both of our tents. :dunno

OTOH If he doesn't want to share, he can not shame me out of putting up a blue, plastic, noisy, flappy, crappy $10 Wally World shade cover. :stick

I'm smart enough to not sit out in the sun, in Wisconsin, in July. No shade trees = mandatory tarp.

I will camp twice this year. Doesn't even begin to make sense to pay for top quality gear when you consider the cost per use. Even if it lasts 10 years. Then again, I may not be camping when I'm 70 so 10 years is probably too long of a time frame to even consider.

My mileage does vary. :hug

Last edited:
In a previous era, my wife and I used to backpack in the Rockies with a 30 dollar Crappy Tire tent. One weekend we were camped at Baker Lake, which is about 20 kilometres from the trailhead near Lake Louise ski area.

During the night, we got horizontal rain with winds of about 70 km / hour. I had the tent tethered down with a number of extra guy lines, and it did not blow away, but the window covering flaps were tied down on the outside of the tent, so I had the pleasure of going out several times to re - adjust them to keep spray from blowing through the tent.

The next week I went down to the outfitter's and got a Eureka Meridian for $400 and it's worked well for us, for 25 years. It's gone through some incredible blows.

Motorcycle camping isn't as critical for equipment, but I'm with Rob on getting good stuff.

Rinty

In a previous era, my wife and I used to backpack in the Rockies with a 30 dollar Crappy Tire tent. One weekend we were camped at Baker Lake, which is about 20 kilometres from the trailhead near Lake Louise ski area.

During the night, we got horizontal rain with winds of about 70 km / hour. I had the tent tethered down with a number of extra guy lines, and it did not blow away, but the window covering flaps were tied down on the outside of the tent, so I had the pleasure of going out several times to re - adjust them to keep spray from blowing through the tent.

The next week I went down to the outfitter's and got a Eureka Meridian for $400 and it's worked well for us, for 25 years. It's gone through some incredible blows.

Motorcycle camping isn't as critical for equipment, but I'm with Rob on getting good stuff.

Rinty

If I was going camping for another 25 years, I would be happy to pay $16/yr for a great tent also.:D

Thanks for all the info.........My ship just left Muskegon, we dropped off a load of coal.
I hope to be on the ferry from here on the morning of the 12th. See you at the rally.

enginerod

The MSR trap products are great! Hate to admit that I own three different versions including a humongous one that will cover several picnic tables or a entire girls lacrosse team :kiss

Another option to consider is a product supplied by Mountain Sun Touring company called the Moto Cabana . It is set up a little differently as it uses your tent on one end for support and uses one pole out front. HUGE coverage. Lighter overall weight and compactness The photo on their site doesn't do justice to the product. It's really works well.

Here is one pitched by using a megamid tent . . .
68348499-M.jpg

lots of room to stay shady or dry as the sky demands

Thanks for including a picture of the tarp you use. I just ordered the exact same one in order to have it in time for the rally. I was looking hard at the Parawing but after looking at price vs. value of both options I voted for the Moto Cabana. Now I can apply my $$$ savings toward a new Kermit chair. Looking forward to trying both out at the rally.

This forum is terrific in regards to all of the great tips I've picked up, but if I learn any more I'm gonna go broke...

His awning is big enough for both of our tents. :dunno

OTOH If he doesn't want to share, he can not shame me out of putting up a blue, plastic, noisy, flappy, crappy $10 Wally World shade cover. :stick

I'm smart enough to not sit out in the sun, in Wisconsin, in July. No shade trees = mandatory tarp.

I will camp twice this year. Doesn't even begin to make sense to pay for top quality gear when you consider the cost per use. Even if it lasts 10 years. Then again, I may not be camping when I'm 70 so 10 years is probably too long of a time frame to even consider.

My mileage does vary. :hug

Started looking around after someone mentioned the Kelty Noah and ordered a 12X12 from Campmore. So Rob is safe for now.:wave

Back