• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100 Throttle body rattle

MUSICMAN

My right throttle body on my 95 GS, seems to be rattling inside. At one point I replaced a few things inside in it but can't remember what they were (butterfly maybe and a few other things?)

Bike has 110,000. My valves are adjusted, TB's synched and still I have rattling. The way that I can tell is if the bike is parked and running, I'll place my hand on top of the TB's and I can really feel the right TB rattling inside, left seems fine.

Is there a diagnosis I can do for this? Is it something else? Thank you.

I lived with this for along time now but it's time to do something about it.

Andy "The Music Man"

It's a worn throttle body butterfly shaft. At idle, lightly press the side of the cable pulley and the knocking should cease.

The bike will run fine in this condition but the idle noise will get progressively worse as wear increases. I replaced a noisy TB with a lightly used one but apparently a shaft replacement is available.

There's this guy on the ADVRider forums called Dan Cata. He rebuilds throttle bodes and also sells throttle body rebuild kits for a reasonable price. The thread has detailed instructions on how to do it and lots of good photos.

See the vendor thread here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630335&highlight=cata

You might need to be a member to see the vendor threads. Not sure. If that is the case let me know and I will dig up the info for you or just go ahead and join. Lots of good info over there too. The "Hall of Wisdom" is a great resource.

My suggestion is to go directly to the throttle body manufacturer, Bing, which makes the rebuild kits and also will do the rebuilds in their shop.

I have done several T/B rebuilds using the kits from Dan Cata on advrider. Never tried other kits, Its not that had and the results make them like new. Good Luck

I looked at the bing kit, NO bushings, Higher price.

Went with Dan's kit, worked great!

The Bing kit does come with the bushings(at least the one they sent me in February did). I had first purchased the Cata kit, and then purchased the OEM Bing kit. For 1100's, the Cata kit is closer to OEM. On the 1150's(at least 2004) the pulley is pressed onto the throttle body shaft. The Bing kit comes with a new shaft and pulley. The Cata kit requires you to press your old pulley off of the shaft and reuse it. Also the screws that attach the plate to the shaft are not OEM and stick out more in the airflow.
Having said that, I have a Dan Cata kit that I will sell to anyone interested.

I used the Bing kit to rebuild the TBs on my 94 RS with great success.

When I installed the new shafts, I attached the disc to the shaft just barely snug on the screws. Then I moved the throttle cam a few times to get the disc centered in the bore before I tightened the screws down.

But also, after doing the rebuild you'll need some way to balance the TBs, either a set of balance tubes or other flow matching device. I used my old mercury balance tubes and got everything back into very good balance and smooth operation. Replacing the throttle shafts means you'll also need to reset the left side TPS, which I found you cannot just eye-ball for the right setting. Use a good VOM to set the TPS output signal properly.

Whatever system you use, make sure the butterfly plate mounting hardware is secure.
tbscrew1.jpg
tbscrew2.jpg

tbscrew3.jpg
tbscrew4.jpg

Ouch.

I wonder what kind or racket _that_ made in there?

When you think about how fast the valves open and close it's kind of amazing the screw could even make it in there. Clearly though, it did!

Bing kit

Hm, I stand corrected. The bing kit Does include bushings...
http://bingcarburetor.com/pdf/throttlebodykits.pdf

Guess I was wrong.........well there's a first time for everything huh!

As for securing the Butterfly Screws, very important, scary the thought of Antons photo!
I used needle-nosed vise-grips and mashed em real good, getting the screws out later on I aint worried about

CATA Kit

I've had great results with the Cata kits. He is prompt in answering questions and his service is first rate. Email him if you have questions. His step by step instructions posted on another link were extremely helpful. I also had him rebuild my Hall sensor and it works perfectly.

The Bing kit does come with the bushings(at least the one they sent me in February did). I had first purchased the Cata kit, and then purchased the OEM Bing kit. For 1100's, the Cata kit is closer to OEM. On the 1150's(at least 2004) the pulley is pressed onto the throttle body shaft. The Bing kit comes with a new shaft and pulley. The Cata kit requires you to press your old pulley off of the shaft and reuse it. Also the screws that attach the plate to the shaft are not OEM and stick out more in the airflow.
Having said that, I have a Dan Cata kit that I will sell to anyone interested.

PM sent

Back