• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

03 R1150RT Clack-Clank in the Clutch in Houston

1. No need to disconnect tranny from engine.

2. First hand experience...those "few guys" are misinformed. 155,000km and yearly spline lubes of the starter removal/custom narrow needle type attests to its effectiveness.

Yes,I have heard of this type of greasing the splines but not in my book.I have lots of Moly 60 that takes a brush to apply and I am sparingly using it not to find it on my clutch.I also just pulled the trans and whole drive train back on guide pins to expose the splines for lubing.

hi guys, I had the rattle in my transmission on my 2000 r1100rt ,even having stripping and replaceing all bearings, clutch plate and input shaft from earlier model 6 years ago, lately removed gearbox to lube clutch and drive shaft splines noted clutch throw out bearing was worn ordered part and replaced it reassembled bike and hey presto rattle gone , now I havent ridden her since ,winter here in canada but happy, note my bike is an r1100rt cable clutch and throw out bearing which I belive is different from 6 speed r1150 rt but may have throw out bearing also ,hope this assists, once again merry christmas to all ,Jimmy:ca

Your 1100 has a mechanical operated clutch with cable to operate.It also has the 5 speed M97 Transmission.I had a 98 RT/P that I rebuild the transmission on.In my 2002 rt the 6 speed transmissions are different and much more robust.I do miss the cable operated clutch because now we have a hydraulic set up that is trouble prone.And thank you for your input.Merry Christmas to you.

Going to try to synch TB

Well, it may not solve my problems but a synch of TB and adjust of idle seems like a logical first step. Sent Chris Harris a video of my bike doing the clank-clank and to his ear he thinks it is out of sync so that is the cost effective first step and it seems like something I can do. Also, the shop had recently put in synth trans fluid so I may switch back to the Castrol non synth and see if that makes it happier. Just ordered a Carbtune Pro 2 from BeemerBoneYard so now I have a project for week after next. I wish I had a place to do serious work on the bike but workshop is filled with other hobbies and no room for a bike or a lift. Didn't know when I got an RT it would be both a mode of transportation and an erector set to play with.

Appreciate all the advice.

Back