• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Pretty Wife" wants to ride!

I hate that kind of riding. Gives too many people a chance to kill me all at the same time!

Voni

HD riders ride next to each other more often than in a staggered formation. I've had them pull up next to me and I wave them by.

my wife had the same issue with others riding too close

Usually either she or i will pull over and let them by, if we haven't had a chance to explain that she was a new rider and didn't feel comfortable with other riders near her.

I don't remember ever having an issue.

HD Rider

I appreciate the advise. As it turned out the HD rider went on his merry way and did not follow us after we turned onto a side street. I think he was just curious, not trying to ride two abrest. The GA law does not allow side-by-side m/c riders. And the local HD, riders I've seen do not break this law.

He was just a little close for her comfort, and I could sense it. So, I inserted myself and the GS between them. AS you point out new riders do not need this type of distraction. Bonnie later expressed her gratitude, as the guy was creeping her out!

Thx,

Len

It has been wonderful to read about your wife's journey into this realm! I'm so excited for her. Your well-written posts also remind me of when I re-entered riding and was a quivering mass of nerves, trying to decide which bike would be right for me, and finally finding someone who could gently guide me through the tough parts of the process...and eventually marrying that same "someone"! Voni was there for that most treacherous part of my riding education! :)

I wish I could have been there, but I was working. Harriet, my late wife, was there and had a WONDERFUL time! And I visit Bedlam and husband every chance I get and always have a GREAT time!

Update - learning, growing, Excelling

Ok, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted an update. She has about a thousand miles of riding under her tires. I’m very proud to glance in my rear-view mirror and see her soldiering on, leaning through those turns, and making pretty good decisions. However, I'm reminded of recent incident that happened about 500 miles ago.

I remind her to ride at her own pace, but we all tend to strive to keep up. This was brought into sharp focus a few weeks ago. We were I was stopped at a T road, entering into cross traffic. I stopped and saw I had time to pull out before some oncoming cars. This surprised her, as she was just approaching the stop. I should have waited, and left when it was clear for both of us, but I didn’t. I should add that I usually lead, as she insists that she feels more comfortable following.

As I’m leaving the stop, accelerating away from the intersection I see her in my rearview mirror go straight across the T road and into the tall grass on the roadside. Yikes! After the traffic approaching from our left, passed her she came back onto the highway and pulled alongside me. I immediately stopped when I was her head into the weeds.

She said she was not ready to leave the intersection. I asked, why the trip into the grass? And, she added that she went “where she was looking” off into the weeds. She and the bike were fine, not damage to the latter and more importantly fairly composed in the case of the former.

Lessons learned; look where you want to go and leave an intersection when you’re ready not when you think you have to keep up. This incident all harkened back to her MSF training, as she remembered those principles being hammered into her by the instructor.

During our after ride talks, we go over things that we learned and I point out areas were I’ve seen improvement or where her skills have matured. Usually she asks about the very things which trouble or concern me. I was recently able to remind her that riding your own ride is so critical to your safety at any level of motorcycle performance. I stressed that I will always wait on her if she falls behind or turn around and search for her if she falls off my pace.

This is the way I learned to group ride w/ a Triumph riding group in Ohio and they were much better (faster) riders.

Again, I am amazed at her progress. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing your beloved leaning through a nice sweeper in full control and grinning inside her helmet. This whole experience has been very enjoyable and enlightening for me. I'm relearning my own skills and I'm reminded that so very much of what we do as riders requires keen mental processing and involves our attitude and demands our alert situational awareness.

Sometimes following,

Len

Last edited:
I just found this thread and enjoyed reading about Bonnie's progress, everyone's feedback, and more. It's great to read about women who decide to try the front seat and how much they love it.

One of the things I love about the BMW community is the "just go ride" attitude. No condescension, no patronizing "you're just a l'il slip of a thing, why don't you get on the back." If you ride, you're in. If you're a passenger, you're in.

The wife of an close friend of mine of mine taught me to ride years ago - on a K75. I had no interest in being Johnny Knee Dragger, just how to ride well; I appreciated her patience and lack of macho attitude/ego. Her dad was a bike cop who taught her when she was 14-15 years old; her love of riding was a big reason I wanted to learn, and her safety-first attitude left its mark.

My wife had a bike before we met, and we rode together a couple of times. But she was never overly comfortable riding and she knew it wasn't for her. She decided she liked being a passenger better and has never looked back. She loves the riding, meeting, discovering and exploring as much as I do.

I've been fortunate to ride with lots of great women over the years. My "crew" is half women, half men, and it makes every ride (and apres ride) more fun. I don't even hold the fact that they ride Harleys against them :p.

Her latest ride!

Thanks, Greg. I appreciate your comments and sharing your riding/learning experiences.

We recently pulled the trigger on a Buell M2 Cyclone for her. OMG, what a bike! I was hesitant to buy it, but she fell in love w/ the look/design of the thing, nearly at first sight. She was undeterred, after the seller fired up the Cyclone! Holy window rattling, #$&@!

To be honest when she rides it, itÔÇÖs more purr than growl, but she has no desire to attract attention to herself and this animal does just that! The two of them together are a total beauty and the beast paradox.
So, she loves the acceleration, braking, handling of the thing, and could do w/out the noise. We are looking into a quieter pipe.

The way I ride it, iÔÇÖs a sure ticket to jail! IÔÇÖll post a picture of her and the ÔÇ£DragonflyÔÇØ soon.
/Users/lenhorst/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2010/Aug 7, 2010/DSC01400.JPG
In the meantime: 2002 Cyclone M2, orange frame w/ d. gray/granite paint, 1200cc Sportster mill, high flow heads, K&N Winder intake, heavy duty valve springs, Race carb, D&D header and exhaust Can you say quick? I rode it home from the sellers house (~100 miles), and I prefer my R1200GS for comfort and for staying out of jail.

She has put about 200 miles on the Dragonfly since the weekend. She love the darn thing, except for the noise.

Len

Last edited:
Bonnie's new ride!

I give you, the dragonfly.

Bonnie is quite excited about this bkie, we'll address the loud pipe shortly.

Len

Attachments

• mime-attachment.jpeg
    mime-attachment.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 93
Back