• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650GS Top Case - Big Enough for a Laptop Backpack?

burnand

Certifiable Pennsylvanian
I have a swiss army laptop backpack and I'd like to get something for the bike to put it in. Anyone with the BMW top case (or any others) that could comment on how they haul around their confuser would be great.

Thanks!

Hepco & Becker

Hi, I have the 42L Hepco & Becker Journey top case. I haven't put my laptop in there but know it would fit with plenty of room. I've hauled six one gallon jugs of water (space wise, it is about a ten gallon case) with room to spare.

I think the BMW solid top case or the Krauser or H&B cases will all work for you. They're all water proof besides.

Randy Kasal

788096642_c309b14de2.jpg

I have AME's Caribou cases. Laptop fits just fine. They are built from darn near indestructable pelican brand cases.

Roger's a great guy who really stands behind his gear, too.
LINKY

I looked at the H&B case when I was case shopping. Buddy of mine has one for his RT. It just looked big and awkward on the 650GS to me. The AME side and top cases hide well from the wind behind my legs and a pillion duffle bag, and carry a -lot-.

You will find many cases in which to carry a laptop but ...

You might want to consider a backpack for a laptop since no matter which case you use the computer will still face serious vibration and jarring.

BradfordBenn is very accomplished in this field.

Calling BradfordBenn

Thanks for the help so far guys!

I actually use a backpack now. I find it gets quite heavy on my shoulders. I was thinking it would get about the same amount of vibration as on my shoulders if the computer was in my padded backpack, inside a case.

I quite like that pelican topcase. How sturdy is the mount?

Very sturdy.
I've only got a bit of vibration out of it on a washboard mountain road. To be fair, everything on the bike was shaking then too. ;)

There is a flat rack that mounts on the back of the bike that the case mounts to. It still allows access to the stuff bay behind the seat, and allows quick and easy removal of the case. A handfull of seconds to get it on or off the rack. The set I got from him has 6 locks. 1 for each case onto the bike, one for each case to hold it closed. Roger sent them all keyed the same.

I'll try to get a pic of the rack by itself to post. Might not be until Monday, though, as I'm away from home this weekend on business.

Maybe an answer

This question is a hard one, cause there are lots of variables. The most important one being the size and shape of the laptop. If you have a small one, it will fit in any case, a large one well it is pretty hard to fit. I would recommend that you at least get a padded sleeve for your laptop. I also highly recommend that you do not just put your computer to sleep but either shut it down or hibernate it when transporting your laptop.

I would recommend that you not do this:

144888517-M.jpg

Yes, I really did this. However it is a padded laptop case and I had the laptop in a sleeve inside it. Laptop came through okay during my 8 mile ride from the office to the house.

Also backup backup backup and backup your data before transport.

LL Bean has a padded envelope type bag that I use for my laptop when travelling. I have a BMW top case for my 650 GS but it's not the square type. It's smaller and much more round. Sorry, I don't know the name or model # of it.

The bag works great and I've had no trouble with my laptop in the three years I've been travelling with it. The downside is that it doesn't have enough space for the power cord so I just toss that in seperately.

Attachments

• touring laptop insert.jpg
    touring laptop insert.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 87
I bought a caribou top case.... should be here any day. The dimensions are big enough to fit my current (padded) laptop backpack inside. I'm a little concerned abou t the amount of weight going that high/far back but it was the only one that seemed large enough for what I needed (without spending the $$ to go with side panniers.

Hopefully once I get it installed I'll post some pics.

I carry a 15" laptop and half a dozen backpack drives with me.

Einnar,

Thanks for all you help (waaay back when). I got the caribou top case (1550) and I love it! It took a few trys for me to use most of the fasteners that came in the kit, but it's on solid. I can use either my swiss army laptop backpack (just barely fits) or a smaller dell laptop briefcase and have some room for other things.

Here's some pics!

James

Attachments

• n855025402_2047245_2873.jpg
    n855025402_2047245_2873.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 59
Back