• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ZUMO Help......

Originally Posted by kstoo

This may be slightly off topic from the original question but considering that the originator has a Garmin 200/ 200W like mine maybe this would be best instead of starting a new thread.
I just got this Garmin 200W from my son and most of it is pretty easy to figure out or find in the help pages. The one obvious thing that I can not figure out is how and what can I put in the picture viewer? I would assume that I could just drop some jpeg files into a folder when I am connect to the PC via USB but into what folder and what format restrictions and .... ? I was really surprised that Garmin has 0, zero, no, none and nada for a user manual for the nuvi. There is a quick start pamphlet and nothing else. I just spent 2 hours looking for help at Garmin and other places but I give up. Can somebody give me some clues or link me to a Garmin nuvi thread or forum somewhere??? please?

Here is link to 16 page manual for your Nuvi.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=4&subcategory=41&product=010-00656-10

Exactly my point. All that is provided is a "Quick start manual" and nothing more. There is a lot of information missing. The help screens are pretty good but still there is no reference to loading pictures and other things ...

While waiting for some stuff to finish at work I gave Garmin tech support a call. I explained that I had the Garmin Zumo, recently bought a BMW Motorcycle, and was trying to figure out of the BMW version was worth the switch. I said I understood the feature differences, but wasn't clear about dead reckoning. The guy said he would look, and had about three place to check. He ultimately said he couldn't find anything that indicated dead reckoning was supported. He then offered to go ask the folks that would know for definitively. I took him up on it and after a few minutes he came back and said that the "BMW version of the Zumo" did not support dead reckoning. It's another data point, but I've been led astray before by tech support folks. For all I know he just paid a visit to the soda machine with me on hold. :)

Does the power cable come with the BMW Zumo, or do you have to buy it separately? I bought the connector with pigtails and wired that to my Garmin power cable. The Garmin cradle has four pins that the power cable connects to, I'd be curious to see if any of them are connected to the speed pulse on the BMW end. I don't know if the BMW cradle is the same.

While waiting for some stuff to finish at work I gave Garmin tech support a call. I explained that I had the Garmin Zumo, recently bought a BMW Motorcycle, and was trying to figure out of the BMW version was worth the switch. I said I understood the feature differences, but wasn't clear about dead reckoning. The guy said he would look, and had about three place to check. He ultimately said he couldn't find anything that indicated dead reckoning was supported. He then offered to go ask the folks that would know for definitively. I took him up on it and after a few minutes he came back and said that the "BMW version of the Zumo" did not support dead reckoning. It's another data point, but I've been led astray before by tech support folks. For all I know he just paid a visit to the soda machine with me on hold. :)

Does the power cable come with the BMW Zumo, or do you have to buy it separately? I bought the connector with pigtails and wired that to my Garmin power cable. The Garmin cradle has four pins that the power cable connects to, I'd be curious to see if any of them are connected to the speed pulse on the BMW end. I don't know if the BMW cradle is the same.

The power cable for the BMW Zumo comes with it in the box, and it has the connector to connect with the on-bike plug. Each has four wires, one for power, one for ground, one for speed pulse (the multi-colored wire), and I have no idea what wire 4 connects, but it might be the Canbus itself.

When I asked my service manager if I would be better off connecting it to my CanBus by-passed fuse-box, he said I would want it connected to the harness, and explained how the speed pulse ties in to measuring speed/distance when the GPS signal is low, and how that also ties into the BMW Zumo fuel gauge, also called fuel meter (I set mine off my OBTC's miles to empty, and it was always off until they replaced the OBTC's miles to empty sender, and it seems in-synch now; the Zumo showed up the OBTC!). It also allows the GPS to stay on about 45 seconds to a minute past shut-off, and then prompts you Yes/No to run on its battery. That's nice for those gas stop map changes and for multi-destination trips where you want the GPS to stay on.

It is also weird how some Garmin person said the BMW Zumo has no dead reckoning, when 1) Garmin has a special team of people for this, and 2) they told me the opposite when I called them and spoke with someone on the team. To do the latter, call early or ask for a call back. I had to show regular Garmin personnel the Ztechnik mount I used via the web, for my S bike, and he was wowed. They know their main line well, but look at the Garmin website and try to find the BMW Zumo, it is buried deep. Then, if you do find it, look under its accessories tab, there is nothing there, but all the Zumo accessories but the GXM30 work on it; mine has the $69 Fodor's travel US Travel Guide on it, as well. I play books on it, but I store all that on the SDHC card I use with it. Neither the Garmin nor the BMW Zumo has a large spare memory. Also, I use my special splash screen:

Attachments

• f800s.jpg
    f800s.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 332
Does the bmw zumo have deadreconing? I suspect that the answer is both yes and no. Yes because, using the speed input signal from the bike and knowing the current direction of travel BEFORE it lost signal from the sats. it can 'recon' where you should be. But this is very limited because it does not know if you change direction during the loss of signal time. So not a true dead reconing system. To be a true dead reconing system it needs inputs from the steering angle sensor, the pitch and yaw sensors and from the lean sensors. This info, along with the rate of travel and last known position is overlayed on the map and your position is 'reconed' based on this. So if it has deadreconing, it is a very dumbed down system that is more like a predictive system than anything else. Does not seem like its worth it to me. I have the zumo 550 (non bmw) and find that it has way more support than the bmw version. This to me makes it more worthwhile.

Earl

I have the zumo 550 (non bmw) and find that it has way more support than the bmw version. This to me makes it more worthwhile.

Earl

No offense intended, but I find your statement that the non BMW Zumo "has way more support than the bmw version", comes from ignorance or exaggeration, as well as it is false.

The Bmw Zumo has a full 3 year warranty that also entitles it to Garmin support for three years, and three of maps updates included, while your non BMW Zumo has a one year warranty, and if you extend it via Mack warranty, it still does not include additional Garmin support or map updates past one year. The additional 2 years of map updates makes a $138.00 difference (@ $69 each) alone, and if you subtract the cost of the included, but worthwhile traffic antenna from the BMW one, and the warranty, plus the $60 per year subscription for traffic, vs. the XM antenna cost and its monthly, monthly, monthly subscription costs, they cost about the same for similar functionality, but time wise, the BMW Zumo is 3X longer supported by Garmin, while yours is not.

What support would you rather have than Garmin's after a year for your Garmin product? We both get firmware, vehicle, language, and other updates, free, but only we BMW Zumo owners get map updates and Garmin support for three years, whille your device does not.

Back