• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ZUMO Help......

I received a free BMW Zumo 550 from the BMW September sales promotion when I purchased my R1200RT. Yesterday (28 Dec), I was chatting with Garmin about some mounting parts for the Zumo for a second bike and when asked, the tech stated that the GXM-30 antenna interface was disabled on the BMW version because of the Sirius/BMW relationship. I plan on installing the Zumo so it can be on the Road King, which already has XM radio, and the R1200C. :newtoy

In my opinion, the best unit from Garmin for biking is the GPSMAP 378 (fresh water maps) or GPSMAP 478 (salt water maps). Combined with the GXM-30 antenna, I get XM radio service in stereo over my (and passenger) helmet headphones or the GoldWing bike speakers. I also receive (for additional charge) real time weather radar with images superimposed onto the road maps. Storms start as green for rain and color change to yellow and then red for squal lines. I can migrate it from the GoldWing to the R1200RT. I have missed out on some major hail storms in Colorado. :idea

YMMV

another Garmin question

:scratch :scratch

This may be slightly off topic from the original question but considering that the originator has a Garmin 200/ 200W like mine maybe this would be best instead of starting a new thread.
I just got this Garmin 200W from my son and most of it is pretty easy to figure out or find in the help pages. The one obvious thing that I can not figure out is how and what can I put in the picture viewer? I would assume that I could just drop some jpeg files into a folder when I am connect to the PC via USB but into what folder and what format restrictions and .... ? I was really surprised that Garmin has 0, zero, no, none and nada for a user manual for the nuvi. There is a quick start pamphlet and nothing else. I just spent 2 hours looking for help at Garmin and other places but I give up. Can somebody give me some clues or link me to a Garmin nuvi thread or forum somewhere??? please?

Hello?

:scratch :scratch

This may be slightly off topic from the original question but considering that the originator has a Garmin 200/ 200W like mine maybe this would be best instead of starting a new thread.
I just got this Garmin 200W from my son and most of it is pretty easy to figure out or find in the help pages. The one obvious thing that I can not figure out is how and what can I put in the picture viewer? I would assume that I could just drop some jpeg files into a folder when I am connect to the PC via USB but into what folder and what format restrictions and .... ? I was really surprised that Garmin has 0, zero, no, none and nada for a user manual for the nuvi. There is a quick start pamphlet and nothing else. I just spent 2 hours looking for help at Garmin and other places but I give up. Can somebody give me some clues or link me to a Garmin nuvi thread or forum somewhere??? please?

anybody?

Originally Posted by kstoo

Here is link to 16 page manual for your Nuvi.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=4&subcategory=41&product=010-00656-10

Last edited:
Does the Garmin 550 (not BMW's) have the XM radio built in and only need the addition of their antenna (and subscription) to be operable?

Does the Garmin 550 (not BMW's) have the XM radio built in and only need the addition of their antenna (and subscription) to be operable?

Yes, Mike
All you need is the XM30 Antenna and the subscription. Zumo recognizes it automatically

Actually the Zumo does NOT have an XM radio installed. The GXM30 antenna is actually the XM receiver. All the Zumo does is interpret the signals coming from the GXM30. Those signals can include XM radio, XM NavTraffic and XM weather. You can subscribe to XM radio separately from the XM NavTraffic (weather is included).
But the Zumo works great once you get your 'antenna' and sign up.

Ron

Actually the Zumo does NOT have an XM radio installed. The GXM30 antenna is actually the XM receiver. All the Zumo does is interpret the signals coming from the GXM30. Those signals can include XM radio, XM NavTraffic and XM weather. You can subscribe to XM radio separately from the XM NavTraffic (weather is included).
But the Zumo works great once you get your 'antenna' and sign up.

Ron

The Garmin Zumo has an XM software controller (tuner) the BMW Zumo does not because of the BMW/Sirius relationship. The GXM30 is not an XM radio; it just receives an XM sat signal, and the controller module in the Garmin Zumo directs it and tunes it in. If the GXM30 was an XM Radio, it would have a tuner, but that tuner is in the Zumo. Also, the GXM30 cannot be hooked up to a stereo system for playthrough, an actual XM radio like the Delco unit can be.

But it is the Zumo that knows whether you have an XM subscription, and what scope of subscription you have. That's why you can have an XM radio subscription, an XM NavTraffic and XM weather subscription, and a combined XM radio, XM NavTraffic, and XM weather subscription.

Those of us with the BMW Zumo have to suffer with FM real-time Traffic, which in most cases/cities is more reliable but out in the country XM may win, the mp3 player with a large SD card of music or books (mine has a 4GB card and some 200 songs and two books), and dead reckoning that the Garmin Zumo does not have. Mine keeps perfect distance to time in a long tunnel w/o satellite reception, try that with a Garmin Zumo (it can't).

The Garmin Zumo has an XM software controller (tuner) the BMW Zumo does not because of the BMW/Sirius relationship. The GXM30 is not an XM radio; it just receives an XM sat signal, and the controller module in the Garmin Zumo directs it and tunes it in. If the GXM30 was an XM Radio, it would have a tuner, but that tuner is in the Zumo. Also, the GXM30 cannot be hooked up to a stereo system for playthrough, an actual XM radio like the Delco unit can be.

But it is the Zumo that knows whether you have an XM subscription, and what scope of subscription you have. That's why you can have an XM radio subscription, an XM NavTraffic and XM weather subscription, and a combined XM radio, XM NavTraffic, and XM weather subscription.

Those of us with the BMW Zumo have to suffer with FM real-time Traffic, which in most cases/cities is more reliable but out in the country XM may win, the mp3 player with a large SD card of music or books (mine has a 4GB card and some 200 songs and two books), and dead reckoning that the Garmin Zumo does not have. Mine keeps perfect distance to time in a long tunnel w/o satellite reception, try that with a Garmin Zumo (it can't).

Thanks guys.

Tweety,
What is dead reckoning?
I'm confused now about whether to go Garmin 550 or Garmin BMW 550?
Does the XM radio option outweigh dead reckoning?
Both accept the SD card right?

TIA,
Mike

Thanks guys.

Tweety,
What is dead reckoning?
I'm confused now about whether to go Garmin 550 or Garmin BMW 550?
Does the XM radio option outweigh dead reckoning?
Both accept the SD card right?

TIA,
Mike

Mike,

Dead reckoning means near 100% accuracy (GPS is notorious for 6% off) and it can hold such for X miles w/o satellite availability (like in a long tunnel). The BMW Zumo is the first consumer GPS to have it.

If you are going to install the GPS, and have handle bars so you can use Ram mount in box, OR want to use it in your car, too, go with the Garmin Zumo, BUY a MACK or RealTek 3-year warranty (the Zumo has 1 yr, the BMW Zumo has a 3 year) BUT THE BMW ZUMO GETS THREE YEARS OF MAP UPDATES, Garmin Zumo one year even with extended warranty. The BMW Zumo needs a mount, however, none comes with it, and a car mount is very optional at additional cost. The Garmin Zumo comes with a handle bar M/C mount and cradle, and a car mount/cradle/speaker setup is included, too.

Next, FM Traffic is $60/YEAR! XM Radio is $12.95/Month, XM NavTraffic is $9.95 per month, XM NavTraffic and XM radio combined: $12.95 radio plus $3.99 NavTraffic = $16.94 per month, Radio with weather and traffic adds another $6.99 but other combo discounts are available. Still, this is a very pricey option and if your stereo is great, otherwise useless, but XM can be played over PC, home stereos, etc. I have a PC hooked up with 7,500 songs and 85 playlists instead. The PC can also play and record HDTV on my HDTV or its monitor, and can show internet on the PC and the TV. My bike has no handle bars, so the Garmin mount was useless for me, I got a beautiful ZTechnik clutch bracket mount, instead. No cuts in my faux gas tank for a BMW Mount.

The no XM for me, and useless for me mount in box of Garmin Zumo, made the BMW Zumo an easy choice for me. YMMV, you have to do decide this one for yourself.

In my opinion, the best unit from Garmin for biking is the GPSMAP 378 (fresh water maps) or GPSMAP 478 (salt water maps). Combined with the GXM-30 antenna, I get XM radio service in stereo over my (and passenger) helmet headphones or the GoldWing bike speakers. I also receive (for additional charge) real time weather radar with images superimposed onto the road maps. Storms start as green for rain and color change to yellow and then red for squal lines. I can migrate it from the GoldWing to the R1200RT. I have missed out on some major hail storms in Colorado. :idea

YMMV

Better half rides with a 376C (marine version) with Topo and City Nav loaded. I LOVE it (we have the aviation weather package so we can use the puck on our Garmin in our plane). Phenomenal amount of information displayed on the screen. Its a shame that the Zumo (which I use) won't support it.

The "weather" on the Zumo is useless. I'm hoping that they will upgrade it so I can justify the cost of a second puck. I already have an XM2Go which I occasionally use on the bike.

Mike,

Dead reckoning means near 100% accuracy (GPS is notorious for 6% off) and it can hold such for X miles w/o satellite availability (like in a long tunnel). The BMW Zumo is the first consumer GPS to have it.

I skimmed the BMW manual, and looked on the website, I find no mention of this dead reckoning ability. Got a pointer, I am very curious.

I skimmed the BMW manual, and looked on the website, I find no mention of this dead reckoning ability. Got a pointer, I am very curious.

I don't recall reading about it in the regular Zumo dox or elsewhere, but I ride through Boston's tunnels a few times a week, and the dead reckoning is definitely a feature if I'm using routing, right down to the curves in the road. The only thing that causes a "lost satellite reception" message is if I don't come out of the tunnel at the expected time.

I don't recall reading about it in the regular Zumo dox or elsewhere, but I ride through Boston's tunnels a few times a week, and the dead reckoning is definitely a feature if I'm using routing, right down to the curves in the road. The only thing that causes a "lost satellite reception" message is if I don't come out of the tunnel at the expected time.

Hmmm. I've had my Garmin Zumo through the Sumner tunnel a couple of times, I don't remember if it kept working all the way through or not. I suspect what your seeing is just the unit extrapolating the last data it had, not any sort of inertial observations. It would be interesting to go into the tunnel very slow or very fast and then either double or half your speed and see what happens. I notice a WeeStrom in your Sig, is that the bike you are using the BMW Zumo on? I know that on the R1200RT at least the power connector does allegedly have a distance pulse of some sort. I wonder if the BMW Zumo takes advantage of that. Does it work the same way in a car? That would rule out the distance pulse. Unfortunately there are no long tunnels here in Oregon to test my Garmin branded unit's behavior.

Kevin

The BMW Zumo has software in it for the dead reckoning, and it activates through the BMW connector on the newer bikes which have a lead that outputs a pulse whose rate will reflect the speed of the motorcycle (each pulse is a specific distance and the pulse rate relative to speed). That's why it can run true w/o satellite reception for a while with no loss in accuracy. See the discussion of that here:

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=3561.0

The Garmin Zumo has no way to interface with the pulse to take advantage of the feature.

Hmmm. I've had my Garmin Zumo through the Sumner tunnel a couple of times, I don't remember if it kept working all the way through or not. I suspect what your seeing is just the unit extrapolating the last data it had, not any sort of inertial observations.

I'm sure it's extrapolation that is going on because if tunnel traffic stops, the display keeps updating forward movement. To be clear, I'm talking about Garmin's Zumo on my Vstrom or in my cage. In addition, I've owned many Garmin gps units and the Zumo is the first that adds this type of pseudo-telemetry.

If some BMW models provide telemetry info to the BMW Zumo that would be interesting, but perhaps they do not since the Garmin version does what it does without this type of input from the vehicle.

The BMW Zumo has software in it for the dead reckoning, and it activates through the BMW connector on the newer bikes which have a lead that outputs a pulse whose rate will reflect the speed of the motorcycle (each pulse is a specific distance and the pulse rate relative to speed). That's why it can run true w/o satellite reception for a while with no loss in accuracy. See the discussion of that here:

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=3561.0

The Garmin Zumo has no way to interface with the pulse to take advantage of the feature.

I am familiar with the availability of the speed pulse on the bmw connector, which is what the thread you reference discusses. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm still trying to definitively establish that the BMW Zumo actually uses it. Presence of the pin means nothing. What I really need is to buy a BMW Zumo and mount it next to my Garmin. :)

One way to validate the use of the speed pulse would be for someone with a BMW branded unit to drive into a tunnel and significantly alter their speed once in. If the BMW unit factors in the speed pulse when reception is poor they should see the speed change. If it doesn't use the pulse, and extrapolates, you wouldn't see the speed change.

If it does use the speed pulse I'm even more interested in how it applies it. How long is it useful? It seems like anything more than a few seconds and the unit would be making potentially bad assumptions about what you are doing. If it can't tell that you turned does it just assume you stay on the same road?

I suspect the speed pulse is a remnant from the days when selective availability was used to introduce error into the GPS signal. With that behind us, at least for now, I don't see the value of the extra data.

I am familiar with the availability of the speed pulse on the bmw connector, which is what the thread you reference discusses. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm still trying to definitively establish that the BMW Zumo actually uses it. Presence of the pin means nothing. What I really need is to buy a BMW Zumo and mount it next to my Garmin. :)

One way to validate the use of the speed pulse would be for someone with a BMW branded unit to drive into a tunnel and significantly alter their speed once in. If the BMW unit factors in the speed pulse when reception is poor they should see the speed change. If it doesn't use the pulse, and extrapolates, you wouldn't see the speed change.

If it does use the speed pulse I'm even more interested in how it applies it. How long is it useful? It seems like anything more than a few seconds and the unit would be making potentially bad assumptions about what you are doing. If it can't tell that you turned does it just assume you stay on the same road?

I suspect the speed pulse is a remnant from the days when selective availability was used to introduce error into the GPS signal. With that behind us, at least for now, I don't see the value of the extra data.

My BMW Zumo shows speed changes through the 0.75 mile tunnel in downtown Phoenix on I-10, driving through the high-rise section of downtown Phoenix, as well, and in all the places the nuvi 680 in my car will not and cannot. In fact, the speed pulse was added for the Garmin 2670 or 2680, used with the BMW Navigator and now is fully active integrating speed as well as the fuel gauge function on the Zumo.

It is not a remnant, it is spec'd out for many new devices, GPS included.

Back