• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Zumo 550 wiring to '03CLC

S

SHMEGMA

I am trying to figure out the best way to wire my Zumo to my '03 CLC. Can anyone more proficient in electronics give me some detailed and bike specific advise on wiring? I hope so because I am ready to test this thing out.

BTW: I found it on line for $595.00 at the following location;
http://buyeretail.com/product.asp?i=GARZUMO550
It arrived by 2 day FedEx with no extra charge.

I, and many others on this forum, have wired ours directly to the battery.

If you haven't done so already, I would join the Chromeheads forum (http://www.chromeheads.org) . I have an '03 CL as well and will be taking delivery of a 450 in a few days. One of the Chromehead members has posted pictures of his installation/wiring. He wired his to the accessory connector just beneath the diagnostic port under the left side body cover (the fuses are in this area).

i just wired my zumo 550 to the battery terminals as well. no problems so far.

i didn't want to take the tank off and luckily i had enough access to squeeze my hands and wrench in there to connect the hot wire to the pos side of the battery then i just grounded to a screw that had good contact with the frame. easy...

battery terminals

Wired mine to the battery trminals no problem. In-line fuse protects the unit.

Also check out the Zumo forum for helpful info.

Easy wiring that does not involve direct to battery

OK. I got my Zumo 450 on Thursday and had it wired in about 45 minutes. It took me a while to find a good place to connect the ground (lots of things are grounded but ya gotta find someplace to actually connect it).

Step 1 -- find someplace on the handle bar to mount the equipment. This picture is of my location for my Quest (hence the Quest cradle). All I did was take the Quest cradle off and mounted the Zumo cradle.

IMG_0174.jpg

Step 2 -- run the cable down the front of the fuel tank and then down the gap between the fuel tank and the air director (don't know what else to call it).

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

Step 3 -- remove the left side cover to expose the fuse boxes. Pop the top off of the forward fuse box. Pull the 4 amp fuse in the lower left of the fuse box. Stick your RED wire into the fuse slot and the push the fuse back in. I don't know what this fuse is for but it is on a switched circuit. My pictures don't show the top off the fuse box because I did this wiring job 2 days ago and couldn't get it off this morning when I took the pictures. The wire does make things a little snug.

IMG_0468.jpg

Two fuse boxes

IMG_0472.jpg

Position of the aforementioned fuse

Step 4 -- a good place for the ground (black) wire to connect to is the lower intake manifold screw. Just loosen this screw enough the get the wire in between the screw and the washer and retighten.

IMG_0467.jpg

Step 5 -- go back to your cable and loop it around the diagnostic port (see the first picture in Step 3), tie it down with cables ties. Don't forget to leave a little bit of slack in case you decide to change the location of the mount and so that your handle bars can turn without and issues. Test the setup by putting your Zumo in its cradle (make sure it is off) and then turn the key to either the ON position or the Park position. Your Zumo should turn itself on. If that works. Put your side cover on, pat yourself on the back and enjoy your new toy.

Last edited:
One suggestion - and don't ask he how I know, I just know - you should put a tether on the Zumo / expensive electronics mounted that way.

Back