• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

You Got Rid of that Bike and Regret it.

The more sob stories I read the more I think some sorta' pack should be made....

When one gets the urge to sell his or her said bike. Only sell to another who has made a pack to sell it back to you when they get the same urge.

Basically, create a circle of users. Re-Cycle the bikes amongst the group.

Say "Charley" in Florida gets sick of the whole GS thing after riding a friends Boxer cup replica. Charley now wants a bike like that real bad...

What to do...?

Charley looks up the newly created section here on the BMWMOA site called...
"Wanna swap?" or maybe "Mine for yours?" ...Ok, someone else can come up with a catchy directory name.

Charley finds "Fred" in Texas, the once proud owner of a slightly used replica. Fred is looking to try out the GS thing...

After some negotiating is done, a swap is made.

All with the understanding that if one of the two decides to sell, the previous owner MUST be given first dibs.
If the previous owner is still happy with new bike and does not want old bike back, the bike must be offered to the others within the group first. Only until a reasonable amount of time has passed can it be offered outside of the group.

With this plan, at least you'd have a better chance to get that bike back eventually...?

1970 Bultaco Sherpa T trials bike... and now I am wanting another to play around with.

Except for the K75 and even it could come home, I just about puke at the memory of seeing the tail light for the last time of the 75/5 the 80G/S the 69S.

Just the BMWs, not a tear shed for any of the other mounts that have passed thru my hands.

all of em!
1959 cushman scooter
1961 harley davidson hummer
1964 BSA 441
1970 Honda 750-4
year unknown HD XR-750 flat tracker (joint owner with two other budding racers)
1976 BMW R90/6
1992 Kawasaki ZX-11 (Actually totalled this one)
2000 Kawasaki Concours

I have vowed never to sell my R1100R and am currently on the hunt for a good dual sport or dirt bike. I have been looking at the Suzuki DRZ 400S but am considering a Kawasaki 250. My wife says I'm having a mid life crisis wanting to get back in the dirt after so many years but hey it's not flat tracking!

an old HD for me,

way back when I was a young/un I bought a '56 HD 900 KHK model, it was the predecessor of the sportster and most were 750cc engines, so a 900 was rare.
The bike was a custom, had no front brake and a raked front end, so it handled not too well at slow speed and it wouldn't stop for beans.
But it looked great and the flathead motor with lots of chrome was nice eye candy.
Harley riders would wander over at gas stations to admire it.
I know it was basically unsafe on the street because of the brakes, but I still wish I had it, maybe make a nice planter out of it,:dunno
Bob
PS, the other bike I miss;
1974 Kawie 750 2 stroke, that bike was light as a feather, and that 2 stroker would rrrip when you hit the throttle, that bike was a blast, at the time it was the fastest thing around, keeping the front wheel down was a chore though.

Last edited:
I had a 73 lwb /5. I sold it 13 years ago because my girlfriend at the time needed an attorney. Well the bike changed hands a dozen or so times and is owned by a very good friend of mine.
The girlfriend is also gone. Last time I heard she just got out of a ladies correctional facility. I guess the money for the attorney didn't help.
Let this be a lesson too all of you. NEVER sell any of your bikes unless you just need to thin out the garage. I deeply regret giving up my /5 for a drunk Yooper chick. Holy wah! that was a dumb move on my part.

PC

bike regrets

Pat:

Sounds like that was an interesting learning experience!:laugh

I tell all my clients who want to "help" someone, that "no good deed shall go unpunished."

Rinty

My BSA 441 Victor

BSA 441 Victor. I don't remember the model year. Direct wired with no ignition key switch. When I parked it, I had to lock it up with a big chain and lock. I bought it from my brother when his wife made him sell it. I rode it back and forth to class at college for a couple of years. As it was a big one-lunger, you had to follow a "religious ritual" as I called it to get it started. If not followed with the required diligence and prayer to the God of all driveway oil spots, you would kick the kick start lever until your leg fell off and the bike would just weep oil and laugh at you with nary an attempt to come to life. The ritual was:

1) Push compression release and slowly move the kickstart to get the cylinder just past TDC.

2) Tickle the carb.

3) Jump on the kickstart like you were trying to stomp a rabid weasel!

Repeat as needed. Although if you performed the above religous duties correctly, it usually started the first or second time. That bike had soul. Vibrated so bad it would make various body parts go numb. Leaked oil on the driveway, which meant it was limey to the core. Dry sump oiling. It drew looks at every stop light as by 1978 these English bikes were already a relatively rare sight.

Dang I miss it. I sold it for like $500 in 1980...idiot!!:banghead

Kurt

No regrets

Sorry folks, but I can't work up any regrets for bikes I've sold. I'm especially not sorry to have sold the '67 BSA Thunderbolt that was my first motorcycle. It was an abysmal piece of work.

What Bike have you gotten rid of and regret?

My 1986 Suzuki RG 500 Gamma.

A 500 cc square-four two-stroke providing 95 hp of pure delight...did I say 340 pounds light (lighter than a two-cylinder RZ 350). And at the time, light years ahead of anything else: cartridge transmission, flat slide carbs, eight pistons out front, aluminium frame...and the list goes on. An incredibly well thought out design. It was sold to buy my first BMW, a new 1990 R100 GS which I still have and will never sell.

Attachments

• Gamma.jpg
    Gamma.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 44
441's bring back memories!

I did not own one, but certainly rode one and did the start thing with a "Victor 441". Talk about kill you if you did not get the compression stroke right!!!! It would fire your leg into submission and nearly break something in the leg department, I recall well:). I sure liked the looks of those bikes and my friend raced his 441. Good days. Randy13233

Back