• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yet another question about the $2K O-ring - does this make sense?

The first time that I changed the oil in my /7, I began to realize that the much vaunted engineering on these machines was simply a legend...having taken mine apart, and now putting it back together, I'm CERTAIN that the engineers were on drugs when they designed 'em...I just shake my head when I consider that ya gotta worm that cover just one certain way to get it past the frame and exhaust, WHEN ITS HOT, no less, and then getting it back in! And ya gotta design a HINGED filter cuz ya fouled up designing it in the first place? And everything depends on a stoopid o-ring? Naw, folks, that's just assinine... Why not design it with a spin-on oil filter and be done with it, as long as you're designing things?

Then we get to the clam shell air filter...and on and on...and WOE to the poor b***t***d with an oil filter and an RS/RT fairing!!!

Nope...for good engineering, I look to my Harley...for riding a smooth machine that handles well and that my GF is comfy on, I look to my Beemer...

:rofl If only there were a smilie icon for laughing until I cried! (Sometimes you have to laugh, or you will cry)

I haven't dealt with a Harley since my wife sold her shovelhead paint shaker, but I always wondered about German engineering (particularly after being stationed there three years and working on some of it). I keep wanting to know, did Luftwaffe and Wermacht mechanics have to deal with 2,000 O-rings?

Ja! All part uff der secreten plotten it was. To get der RAF dose o-rinks to usen in dere planes our plan was. Work not it did. Auf well...

Great minds do indeed think alike. :D

This is in my garage and I need to make room - literally- for my new airhead. As soon as I get a chance to take a bunch more pictures off it goes to Flea Bay. Ping me if you have any interest. It is a sweetheart with tons of new OEM parts, an Arizona bike all it's life. That's the original paint and seat vinyl without a scratch or crack. I'm 8 hours from Santa Fe...

http://picasaweb.google.com/MillerRonK/1977Yamah650XS#

Whenever I get done with a restoration my acid test of how good I did is if it will start first time - cold - after sitting for several weeks. This one passes the test every time.

Oddly enough this one is very smooth at about 65 - I did go down one tooth on the rear sprocket which has made a difference! With the flat line torque you don't even notice the loss down low.

Wow - the prettiest Yammer I have seen in a looooong time. Thanks for sharing.

Ya got me...and my mouf was open too! On a nice sunny afternoon, I might be passing the same bar on MY Harley, and seein' da posers hangin' out with their doo rags on...and when they take off to leave on that 95 degree day, they put their skull face cover on so's they look cooooooollllll mon....

I've been wanting to one up the chromosexuals with this helmet for a while. I understand it is made in Brazil...

If anyone knows where I can buy one please let me know. :brow It matches my Bronco Metallic color perfectly. :boldpurpl

Attachments

• Monster.jpg
    Monster.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 79
That sheet metal can is not welded to the engine case. They have been known to move a bit.

The case is very simple though. You need to compress the O ring. Not using a gasket, or adding a shim will both increase the compression. Just make sure you have enough without distorting the O ring beyond recognition.

That sheet metal can is not welded to the engine case. They have been known to move a bit.

The case is very simple though. You need to compress the O ring. Not using a gasket, or adding a shim will both increase the compression. Just make sure you have enough without distorting the O ring beyond recognition.

Thanks - kind of what I suspected.

I examined the old O - ring and it was indeed "squashed" a little even at the so called absolute outer limit of 4mm, so I figure a "bit" more pressure would not hurt.

What I read goes into absolute mind numbing detail :snore on this subject which led me to believe that if I didn't have it exactly right - down to few microns - that dire consequences would follow!

What I read goes into absolute mind numbing detail on this subject which led me to believe that if I didn't have it exactly right - down to few microns - that dire consequences would follow!

I agree. Reading all that's been written on this makes one wonder why the streets are not packed with airheads with detonated engines. I think we are showing how anal we BMW owners can be, especially during the winter.

I measured and found 4.0 mm in my RT -- I installed two shims, no paper gasket, to obtain the "desired" preload/deformation all the gurus consistently recommended. I now never have to wonder whether it's "ok" with 4 mm and only one shim.

$0.02 deposited :D

Back