• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

WooHoo!!!

R

rocketman

Man I am SOOOOO excited! I just landed my first photo "gig"!!!!!
For the past 3 out of four years I've ben going to a big MC event in Morgantown WV that has among other things, a really great vintage event, they have had over 100 vintage bikes on display in the main event hotel, a former Radison, very high class display with bikes going back to the very first attempts at putting a motor on two wheels. Plus some great vintage rides and for the last two years a vintage grand Prix thru the streets of downtown Morgantown. Last year I went on the rides and took a ton of shots of the racing and met up with the guy running the vintage rides.

Well he just called me yesterday and wants me to work with the other photographer ( a pro ) to help with covering the event. I'll get credit for any photos taken and have a good chance of getting a few published in their yearly coffee table book that comes out after each event. Plus I may get a few from last year in the edition going to print next week. No pay as all funds from the event go to local charities, which is cool with me, the exposure, just being involved and getting to work behind the scenes with all the kool vintage bikes is enough, vintage bikes are and always has been my main interest in motorcycling so this is going to be a total blast.

Too cool! I'm also going to help with the setup of the display, work with the ride captain again to cover the rides and races. They are going to get a couple of hoists to position us right over the street during the races and maybe the main Saturday parade thru town.

The event has been growing by leaps and bounds each year, the whole downtown area is reserved for bike only parking during the event, now four full days, the whole town really turns out for this, tons of bands and shows at the camping area outside of town. Four days of nothing but motorcycles rumbling thru town, how cool. Met a bunch of great folks every year and seem and ridden with some awesome vintage bikes. Morgantown is one of my fav. places to ride/visit so it couldn't have worked out better. I'll get a free "press" pass for the event so I can get into all the venues thru the back gate.

Check out the web site at www.wvmountainfest.com

and some of my pics from last year

http://roadrunes.com/mainbody.htm

then click on the Mountainfest link at the top of the page.

WooHoo!!! Unfortunately its right after MOA rally so I won't be going as I can't pass up the chance to get some serous exposure for my work plus hopefully sell some as well. May even get my articles about the early years of motorcycling included in the book for next year!

Happy Happy Happy!

RM

We're also looking for more vintage bikes esp. BMW's so if anyone is the WV/east coast area and wants to display their vintage bike PM me.

a huge CONGRATULATIONS!!

We are so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Voni
sMiling

Congratulations!!! This event looks like a lot of fun.

As I type this, I'm sitting on the couch at my inlaws - just 5 miles over the border from Morgantown. We may have to plan a trip home that weekend and check out the event.

Rocketman, Need any help??;)

Congratulations!!! This event looks like a lot of fun.

As I type this, I'm sitting on the couch at my inlaws - just 5 miles over the border from Morgantown. We may have to plan a trip home that weekend and check out the event.

Rocketman, Need any help??;)

yeah, that would be great! In fact Tom was telling me that they are always looking for help. I'm staying at the Claion this yeas cause I want to shoot more downtown street scenes, last 2 times I was mostly at the Waterfront right there on the River. I'm PM you with my contact info.
They also want more vintage bikes if you anyone Tom's phone number is on the contacts page of the website. Real nice guy too.

RM

You have some nice pictures on your site.

I do have a small problem with them though. Your Rocketman signature is placed way to high in the photo's. It covers main parts of the photo in way to many of the pictures. While its nice to know who took the pictures, it would also be nice to not have the signature thing be so promenant as to actually block the subject matter of the photos. After only a few pic's I just quit looking because of the logo.

I'm really just saying this to be helpful not to put down your work.

You have some nice pictures on your site.

I do have a small problem with them though. Your Rocketman signature is placed way to high in the photo's. It covers main parts of the photo in way to many of the pictures. While its nice to know who took the pictures, it would also be nice to not have the signature thing be so promenant as to actually block the subject matter of the photos. After only a few pic's I just quit looking because of the logo.

I'm really just saying this to be helpful not to put down your work.

I hear ya, but i had to do that cause someone was trying to download a bunch right after I put them up last year! And since these are ones that I took with the hopes of making some sales I needed to protect them. I, too would rather have the watermark smaller, next go around I'm going to make the photos lower res so they won't be worth trying to download and print at any decent resolution. Then I can do something different with the watermark, but still if I put it along the edge, say, then it can be trimmed out and defeats the purpose.

RM

Well that makes sense. I guess I noticed it because on one of the vintage bikes I was trying to see the beautiful engine cases.
Good luck with your gig this year :thumb

Well that makes sense. I guess I noticed it because on one of the vintage bikes I was trying to see the beautiful engine cases.
Good luck with your gig this year :thumb

Thanks, it should be blast!

And I'm planning reposting them later on after I redo the watermarks, I'll let you and if you like I could send you copy of the one you mention, just give me the file name.

RM

Riding Into History

Let me throw in a plug here for my favorite vintage bike show. We're in our ninth year here in St. Augustine, Florida. We've raised over $150,000 for the Buddy Check 12 breast cancer awareness foundation. We'll have probably 350 entries this year, featuring competition bikes. Each year we've had a well known Grand Marshal: Craig Vetter, Peter Egan, Dennis Gage, etc. This year it is Mert Lawwill, Grand National champion and star of On Any Sunday. Join us on May 17th at the World Golf Village, just off I-95, 30 miles south of Jacksonville.

For more info see our website at: www.ridingintohistory.org . Most of the photos on the site are mine.

Alan
www.MotoEuro.org

Let me throw in a plug here for my favorite vintage bike show. We're in our ninth year here in St. Augustine, Florida. We've raised over $150,000 for the Buddy Check 12 breast cancer awareness foundation. We'll have probably 350 entries this year, featuring competition bikes. Each year we've had a well known Grand Marshal: Craig Vetter, Peter Egan, Dennis Gage, etc. This year it is Mert Lawwill, Grand National champion and star of On Any Sunday. Join us on May 17th at the World Golf Village, just off I-95, 30 miles south of Jacksonville.

For more info see our website at: www.ridingintohistory.org . Most of the photos on the site are mine.

Alan
www.MotoEuro.org

Kool, vintage bikes are the best! I actually met Craig Vetter one time purely by accident at Mid-Ohio the year that BMW was the featured bike in 2004. I was checking out this really strange looking Scooter made by Defiant Scooter, it had an HD engine in it. As I was looking it over in parking lot of the place Jeanne and I were staying at, this guy comes up and starts talking about it. He seemed to know a lot about it but never introduced himself, though he did make a comment about my 78 R100 airhead parked near by and the nice fairing (Windjammer SS) it had.

it wasn't until I got home several days later that I looked up the info on the scooter and discovered that is was made by Vetter and the guy I had been talking to was Graig himself! Ha Ha!

I also met and chatted with Jean Paul Goy who was doing stunts on BMW for the show as he was staying in the same hotel. See pic's below

P1010010.jpg

I haven't tried this on my LT yet... :whistle

P1010032.jpg

they also had the C2 there that year, very strange machine as well

P1010015.jpg

anyway, thanks for the info I'll have to make it down there some year.

RM

PS I also have written some articles on the early years of motorcycles if anyone cares to check them out, if anyone finds any blazing errors let me know. you can view them here

History of Early Motorcycling

and part four here

History Part Four

They even got linked to an article in Wikipeadia!

Craig and Carol Vetter

The Vetters are really neat people and great friends of Riding Into History. They've attended at least three of our events. Craig is coming back again this year and will be presenting a free seminar on Saturday afternoon. I'm not sure of the topic but I think it will be on high mile per gallon and green motorcycles.

alan.

The Vetters are really neat people and great friends of Riding Into History. They've attended at least three of our events. Craig is coming back again this year and will be presenting a free seminar on Saturday afternoon. I'm not sure of the topic but I think it will be on high mile per gallon and green motorcycles.

alan.

yeah he certainly seemed that way when I met him, I wish I had "gotten it" when he make the comment about the fairing on my bike! Ha Ha!

RM

!!woo Hoo Update!!

:twirl

A Hugh double Woo Hoo would seem to be in order today as I heard from the folks Im working with on the upcoming MountainFest gig and they really liked my photos from last year AND

They are going to include some of those in the hard-cover photo book!! (the credit is going to read "Rocketman @ Roadrunes.com so hopefully that will bring some hits my way as well :dance) And not just one but several it seems and they have expanded the issue this year to be able to include them!! Yee Hah! Its in the final stages of layout and will go to the publisher soon so by the time I go up for my meeting with the other photographers to start coordinating the coverage for this years event it should be in its first run, or at the very least IÔÇÖll be able to see the proof set. DonÔÇÖt even know which ones they are printing yet, but who cares? :lol (OK so I admit IÔÇÖm dieing to see which ones they picked but guess IÔÇÖll just have to wait!)

WOO HOO!!!

Now if I could just get some of my writing published :lol

RM (the happy camper!)

Back