• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Woe is you: NOW questions about the 05 R1200GS

n2230b

Fast Eddie
r 1200 gs

I have two r 1200 gs'es, an '05 with 24000 mi and an '06 with 2000 mi. Never had any problem with either. One lives in CO and one in FL. The '05 I bought used and had no sqwaks according to the dealer that sold it and maintained it. I love both rides and find very little difference between the model years and the milage. Plan to keep them till the wheels fall off.

That's a great site you created; gives me practical ideas to increase the ability of the GS. I leave early tomorrow morning to drive the 650 miles to pick up my GS. I'm intent on first installing cylinder head guards, but the BMW ones don't look like they protect enough of the head. Hepco-Becker look better engineered, perhaps better than the more expensive Touratech ones (?). Ordering the Wilbers front and rear shock set-up from the ADVRider Group Buy tomorrow as I drive south from Santa Fe to Dallas: great prices. Thanks all for the sage and generous advice and feedback everyone. Hope you have a peaceful last two hours of Christmas. :wave

Owning a 1200GS

I bought mine in may 05. 25 000km on the bike now. love it. Only problem i had was the ABS shut down after dropping it in a snow bank, ran the bike for a while, shut her down for a couple of hours, the the ABS was fine.

Samo samo

Irish:

Go into "search" here, then "advanced search" and key in "r 1200 gs" and "failures" as search words, then restrict the search, on the right side of the search box, to "oilers". You'll pull up about six threads.

I would not hesitate buying one of these bikes if it had appropriate service documentation and some warranty left. As Jack says, I think the problem bikes are isolated cases.

Rinty

+1 here 40,000 km trouble free and real enjoyment on my 05 GS

Back