• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Woe is me - need part or ideas for K1200GT

jjciii

BMW K1200GT - 2003

Bad news for me. Need Ideas, or part.

I broke one of the top two mounting hooks off the back of my left hard case / pannier. Must have been that bump.

I NEED a left case, not the whole thing but will take it and transfer parts. Or IDEAS.

How can I weld/glue/melt this thing back on and have it STICK. The hook broke and folded back but I still have it. Just do not know what will really work for fixing this plastic molded stuff the back of the case is made of.

K1200GT - how to fix?

BMW K1200GT - 2003

Bad news for me. Need Ideas, or part.

I broke one of the top two mounting hooks off the back of my left hard case / pannier. Must have been that bump.

I NEED a left case, not the whole thing but will take it and transfer parts.

IDEAS. How can I weld/glue/melt this thing back on and have it STICK. The hook broke and folded back but I still have it. Just do not know what will really work for fixing this plastic molded stuff the back of the case is made of.

You need a plastic welding kit, by the sounds of it. I've had those bags apart and it is possible to replace the individual components in them, so you might be able to buy the back shell and swap it by itself.

RealOEM reports the left inner case as:

Part 46547679857 was found on the following vehicles:
K589 (K 1200 RS, K 1200 LT)   (04/1996 — 04/2005)
K41 (K 1200 GT, K 1200 RS)   (03/2000 — 07/2005)

So that gives you some idea of which bikes at BeemerBoneyard or other parters might provide a replacement inner half. You could transfer your current lock cylinder into a replacement inner half. I’d also suggest checking fleabay as you might find a used bag there, and your current lid and lock could be transferred.

Or, you could order a new inner case half. $160 at MaxBMW, not a bad price considering the time and hassle of finding a used part.

Best,
DeVern

I'm not familiar with the bags on a K bike. Are these top mounting hooks anything like the mounting hooks on the luggage for the 1100/1150 Oilhead bikes?

If they are similar - I had both top hooks break off after a deer tore the bag off my R1100RT. I repaired/replaced the hooks using a small "L" bracket from a local hardware store. Bent the bracket into a U shape, and used bolts through to the inside of the bag with a big washer and nylock locking nuts. I can dig up the photos if this makes any sense to you.

Here's a photo of both bags after the collision. The hooks on the right bag are broken off.

BrokenBag.jpg

You could transfer your current lock cylinder into a replacement inner half.

Or, you could order a new inner case half. $160 at MaxBMW, not a bad price considering the time and hassle of finding a used part.

Best,
DeVern

$160 for a new inner half is not a bad price.
The lock cylinder and handle is in a separate part that can be moved to the new inner half.
K1200RS handle and lock.jpg

K1200rs inner half.jpg

The insides of these bags have more moving parts than you'd suspect. I had to replace a broken latch; the little part you pull up to release the bag cover and it broke.

You can move the parts over, but expect to take a whole lot of photos prior to disassembly and then being very, very careful as you assemble the "new" bag.

Parts are getting harder to find for those 07 GT's. I bought my brother a second 07 GT as a parts bike for 2500.00 running but needing a clutch replaced.

Just the plastic, wheels, bags including the top box are worth more than 2500.00. It sits in a storage shed, battery out on it's center stand. I thought that would be the easiest way to keep him in parts necessary sometime in the future.

Parts are getting harder to find for those 07 GT's. I bought my brother a second 07 GT as a parts bike for 2500.00 running but needing a clutch replaced.

Just the plastic, wheels, bags including the top box are worth more than 2500.00. It sits in a storage shed, battery out on it's center stand. I thought that would be the easiest way to keep him in parts necessary sometime in the future.

Part of the availability issue is the decisions that have been made in packaging. For example, for the OP’s bike (2003 GT)one can order individual gears, shafts, and other tranny parts. For the 2007 GT, one has to buy an entire transmission cluster. Body panels for the 2007 GT are NLA; BMW’s solution is that you should mount the K1300 panels, which fit but are different. If you’re into symmetry, that means you get to buy both sides…

Best,
DeVern

Parts are getting harder to find for those 07 GT's.

The 07 GT bags are really expensive. The inner half costs $480.
The 03 K1200RS/GT is the previous generation and the bag design is simpler with fewer parts.
The MAX BMW parts fiche shows it still available for $160.

The 07 GT bags are really expensive. The inner half costs $480.
The 03 K1200RS/GT is the previous generation and the bag design is simpler with fewer parts.
The MAX BMW parts fiche shows it still available for $160.

I thought 2500 was a good price for the whole bike to be available [ for the most part ] for parts for his registered and riding 07. I was thinking 500 a pannier, 800 top box, 450 a piece for wheels, 1500 in plastic fairings at a minimum. That comes to something over 4K in those parts alone. Motor, tranny, gear box, starter etc are all there should he need something he wouldn't find about anywhere at any price.

Back