• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wire v. cast wheels on a GS

Upsandowns

I recently bought a new R1200GS that came with cast wheels to keep my RT company. My riding includes mostly paved roads but also doing some Forest Service dirt/gravel roads in the mountains of Western NC where I live, and I know I'll be riding dirt roads from time to time during a trip to Colorado/Montana/Arizona/Utah later this year. At the age of 63, my riding style is cautious, particularly on the dirt, and my question is whether or not I should be thinking about acquiring the cross-spoke wire wheels similar to those on the Adventure. There isn't any aggressive or serious offroading on really rugged terrain in my picture. My weight runs around 220 and a frequent passenger probably ads another 150 if that plays a part in the equation. What, if any, danger exists to riding the cast wheels on dirt roads and should I be thinking about the alternative ? If noot, why not??? Thanks.:dunno :dunno

No need to worry

I can't imagine you needing wire wheels for the kind of riding you described.
Spokes might be a little more forgiving but that would be more appropriate for very aggressive riders.
Fear not and don't worry, they will handle you and your SO just fine.

gpodzo

R1200RT
R1150GS
XR650L

Welcome to the frenzy!!
I agree that you shouldn't worry with your riding style. Those wheels are strong enough for all but the most challenging rocky roads. Have fun on your GS!!

I also have the 1200GS with the cast wheels and have not experienced any kind of trouble with riding the dirt roads here in AZ. I agree that the spoke wheels are intended for the agressive rider in predominately rough terain. Enjoy the bike as you bought it!

For your style of riding the cast are fine. The spoke wheels absorb impact better but it would have to be much more than fire roads and dirt roads to see any advantage. Besides the handling on the road is better with cast wheels so if that is where you ride mostly it is not worth the trade off.

Tyre tread patterns would be more of a consideration than wheels. Get a good dual sport tyre that suits your mix of road and dirt.

Cast!!

Hello all,

I am about your age, and find the cast wheels are just fine. I have been off road, on road, and across the road with no problems.....

About the only drawback I can see regarding cast wheels as opposed to spokes is that those of us with cast wheels can't have the pleasure of cleaning between all those spokes once a year when we wash them.....:ha

Cast wheels better on-road?

For your style of riding the cast are fine. The spoke wheels absorb impact better but it would have to be much more than fire roads and dirt roads to see any advantage. Besides the handling on the road is better with cast wheels so if that is where you ride mostly it is not worth the trade off.

Tyre tread patterns would be more of a consideration than wheels. Get a good dual sport tyre that suits your mix of road and dirt.

I'm curious about your statement that cast wheels handle better on the road than spokes. Can you elaborate? Thanks

bmwron
05 r1200gs

The cast wheel probably weighs a little bit less. Less unsprung weight could mean better response from the suspension, and a lighter wheel should produce less gyroscopic force therefore making the bike a little more maneuverable. Of course this is all in theory, and even if it does all bear true on the GS, I don't know if the difference is enough to notice. I have a GS with the spoke wheels and I have no complaints about the handling, but I have not ridden one with the cast wheels.

Back