• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

wire ties

pj1150r

i have heard of wire ties being too tight under tank,should i cut them off and put new ones on? has there been alot of problemswith this?

been searching for gremlins in right side controls of '02 R 1150 R the past few evenings, I have a short in heated grip circuit and was looking for anything other than the switch assy. for a solution.

The cable ties were definitely too tight at the bars all the way to the connectors under tank on this one and had cut thru the jacket in some points.
It looked like they were tightened way past " hand tight", and had flattened the harness. I will replace with fewer /wider spacing and less tension.
I have a twin to this bike that the ties look fine on, maybe the production line tech was mad at something?...like having to tie down harnesses all day?:banghead

I am surprised to see that kind of tightening on my bike. My GS underwent surgery too, as I was adding a few 'farkles' I found stuff under the tank that was too tight. There are special tools for wire ties that set the right tension and cut off the excess afterward.
I wonder if BMW knows about those tools too. :stick :deal

Also one of the problems is that stuff expands and contracts. I know that at work we use wire ties and have the proper tools, but I can still find ties that are too tight after a year or so of the equipment in use. My hunch is that the plastic shrinks and the rubber jackets expand.

Back