• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winscreen Tint Question

jsd

I am looking at a replacement for my stock screen on 2016 RTW. I was going to go with a light tint (15%) but manufacturer is out and only has 25% on hand. I do like the look of the tinted screen but its not overly important. 95% of my ridding is done in daylight dry weather so I just thought it would be nice and cut down a little on glare from dash etc.

For those of you with tinted wind screens do you ever regret not going clear? Thanks in advance.

Having not ridden since the fall but definitely have a tinted windscreen on one bike for the last ten or twelve years or or so; no regrets. Not home right now but I believe the other bike has a tinted one as well.

For the last fifteen years or so, I occasionally come across one rider who years ago painted his windshield black to match his black bike. It looks stunning.

You might have a better idea if you wait making a decision until you attend a large rally where you might see a number of bikes with tinted windshields, where you can see what you think of those.

Cheers!

I got a screaming deal on a tinted screen, I never look thru the screen when riding so don't notice it much. It may allow better view of the displays when going into the sun, but I can't say noticed much.
What I absolutely hate is when I am pushing the motorcycle around I can not see the front wheel and where I am going.
For me it is purely aesthetics.
Gator

Werks Quiet Ride - Tinted

I second Rinkydink's good opinion of the Werks screen. I have one on my '18 RT. I think the tint improves the bike's looks. I don't like looking through any screen, clear or tinted, but on the rare occasions when I do so there is no issue due to the tint.

As with Rinkydink, I have no association with Werks. I'm just another satisfied customer.

Decided on "bronze" tint

With the great guidance of this group and Terry from Werks I ended up purchasing a custom light tint in bronze.
I had read someone else had done due to the lack of the 15% grey and Terry was very helpful in the process.
I did go with the 24" even though I was looking to get more air beneath the screen and thought I wanted the 22" but after watching "Chris on the Streets" video and working with Terry it looked and sounded like the 24" was the better choice due to the angle in which the shield raises. A reinforcing fact to pushing me toward the Werks was that video, even though it was leading people to another brand the comparison showed that a 2" shorter shield from Werks was at least as quiet as a taller one from other brands. Pretty sneaky stuff but backfired in this case. It does do a very good job of showing the different heights and side views which is what pushed me to the 24" instead of 22".

I will post some more info on this once received and installed. Thank you all for your inputs.

I did go with the 24" even though I was looking to get more air beneath the screen and thought I wanted the 22" but after watching "Chris on the Streets" video and working with Terry it looked and sounded like the 24" was the better choice due to the angle in which the shield raises.

I believe that going with the taller windscreen is a good move. If the air flow is less than what one wants, it can be cut shorter. One of my windscreens was shortened twice to get the desired air flow.

Conversely, lenghtening the windscreen tends to be more difficult and therefore involves buying a longer version. :banghead

The only times I duck down to look through a windshield is during a major downpour, moments before an oncoming transport truck is about to temporarily engulf me in its’ splash. A slightly tinted windscreen then becomes a plus. :thumb

Do share a pic with the screen installed.

Cheers!

Good luck with the new screen! Following Terry's advice for screen size worked out great for me.

Add me the list of those anxious to see a photo of the bronze tint. Sounds like it just might be marvelous.

Back