• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Windshield lowering 2008 r1200rt?

cajunjohnny

cajunjohnny
The windshield on my 2008 r1200rt has begun to slowly lower itself at speed. Is there any kind of friction adjustment or such? I haven't uncovered the motor yet. Looking for guidance before I make it worse. When totally upright it seems to stay okay, but anything less and it slowly falls down.
Thanks ...............:wave

The windshield on my 2008 r1200rt has begun to slowly lower itself at speed. Is there any kind of friction adjustment or such? I haven't uncovered the motor yet. Looking for guidance before I make it worse. When totally upright it seems to stay okay, but anything less and it slowly falls down.
Thanks ...............:wave
NIce feature....Did you have to pay x-tra for that! :)

Apologies.
Did I say something wrong? Does not the windshield on my r1200rt raise/lower, elevate/collapse, etc?

He was joshing you and poking BMW. Sometimes when defects appear folks half jokingly say that it is a "feature".

I'd like to be able to tell you a quick fix but I don't think there is one without taking some things apart.

self lowering windshield

He was joshing you and poking BMW. Sometimes when defects appear folks half jokingly say that it is a "feature".

I'd like to be able to tell you a quick fix but I don't think there is one without taking some things apart.

Thanks for the comeback. I'm beginning to believe that it's either a faulty switch or wire at the motor grounding out. So, I'm going to deal with the switch and if that doesn't work I'll fall back on the old "things left alone sometimes fix themselves."

windshield switch problems?

I have a 07 R1200RT, only 5900 miles because I bought it as a cosmetic crash bike, cheap for $3500, clean title, running and lots of nice features (Wilbers, Autocom, accessory fuse box, Sargent seats, Remus exhaust). I finally have all the cosmetic broken pieces repaired or replaced. I also replaced the busted windshield mount arms with machined aluminum arms from Beemerboneyard. But now, as soon as I plug in the harness to the windshield motor, it keeps running in one direction with no action by me on the control switch, as If I am holding the switch in the "down" position. Even if I press the switch to the up position, the motor keeps turning in the down direction. I suspect the switch suddenly decided to fail JUST when I completed installing the new mount arms.

I have heard there are problems with the windshield control switch. Does that apply to the 2007 R1200RT? Any factory warranty coverage even for a bike well past the three year warranty?

I have a 07 R1200RT, only 5900 miles because I bought it as a cosmetic crash bike, cheap for $3500, clean title, running and lots of nice features (Wilbers, Autocom, accessory fuse box, Sargent seats, Remus exhaust). I finally have all the cosmetic broken pieces repaired or replaced. I also replaced the busted windshield mount arms with machined aluminum arms from Beemerboneyard. But now, as soon as I plug in the harness to the windshield motor, it keeps running in one direction with no action by me on the control switch, as If I am holding the switch in the "down" position. Even if I press the switch to the up position, the motor keeps turning in the down direction. I suspect the switch suddenly decided to fail JUST when I completed installing the new mount arms.

I have heard there are problems with the windshield control switch. Does that apply to the 2007 R1200RT? Any factory warranty coverage even for a bike well past the three year warranty?

There is no recalls for the windshield or switch assembly for the 2007 model.

My 07 has 127,000 km and I never had any issues with the windshield. All I did to it was change the upper support arms with stainless steel ones when I installed my VStream shield 4 years ago.

Maybe yours need to be recalibrated. You can do this with a GS-911

Since my earlier post, I sprayed WD40 into the switch area as well as I could without taking the entire switch cluster apart. Since then the windshield switch works normally. So perhaps it was simply dirty contacts in the switch assembly.

Back