• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Will there be demo rides at the 2022 rally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I attended the Bike Blues and BBQ at Fayetteville Ar. The BMW demo truck was there and I got to ride 3 including the 1250 GSA. But the workers told me they had well over 200 bikes and several trucks in the demo fleet. Most of the other demo bikes were at Barber.

So I asked why they did not attend the MOA rally, and he said maybe they did not know about it. They certainly could have.

So who ever in the moa leadership should look into this and find the correct person and see if it can happen. They have the bikes and staff.

Also they said that HD sold 40K of the Pan American and GS sales were off about 40K. Wonder how many MOA members bought one.

I rode both back to back, and then took the demo route on my 09 GS. The 1250 is clearly much better. The PA has a motor though. It just does not have the refinement. Of course I am used to how GS feels so maybe I am biased. But back to back rides the difference is apparent.

Rod

Rod,
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but what you were told by these workers isn't how it really is. All those demo bikes and trucks represent a very significant cost in inventory, personnel and transportation costs, so BMW - like all other bikes companies with a demo fleet - deploys these assets where they think they can get the most *new* customers. A BMW MOA rally is NOT such a place as we have been told repeatedly over the years. I've Chaired or Co-Chaired two rallies, was on the Board for 14 years and President for 4.5 years, and I can assure you that the MOA is always asking for a demo truck. Sometimes when the right person at Motorrad USA is in charge and the truck schedule allows them to attend our rally without going far out of their way then it works out. But, under no circumstances is our rally a prioritized destination on their annual schedule. They see us as a captive market.

Rod,
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but what you were told by these workers isn't how it really is. All those demo bikes and trucks represent a very significant cost in inventory, personnel and transportation costs, so BMW - like all other bikes companies with a demo fleet - deploys these assets where they think they can get the most *new* customers. A BMW MOA rally is NOT such a place as we have been told repeatedly over the years. I've Chaired or Co-Chaired two rallies, was on the Board for 14 years and President for 4.5 years, and I can assure you that the MOA is always asking for a demo truck. Sometimes when the right person at Motorrad USA is in charge and the truck schedule allows them to attend our rally without going far out of their way then it works out. But, under no circumstances is our rally a prioritized destination on their annual schedule. They see us as a captive market.
Well, then BMW may learn if you neglect your loyal customers, they wander when alternatives exist. BMW should remember that. I think they see some of that in the Harley PA. They had 6 active at this rally. There was a line.

There were some riders checking out the GS. So I hope they got their monies worth. And I talked to a couple of riders about the difference you only appreciate after some significant saddle time.

Rod

Rod,
They see us as a captive market.

So... here is the opportunity:

- next year's rally is within a day's ride for tens of thousands of motorcyclists, many of whom may be considering the purchase of a new BMW motorcycle.

- we have 6+ months to plan a cooperative promotion involving us, our chartered clubs, BMW NA and its dealers

- we invest in an integrated promotion involving "horizontal" (all brand) motorcycle magazines (print and on-line) and social media to reach a targeted profile (non-BMW riders and non-MOA members)

- we plan an event at our rally to "learn about the world of Motorrad" ... this could involve the BMW demo truck and Performance Center, along with the many, many expert volunteers within our membership

- we execute the event on Saturday during our rally, and allow attendees to arrive on Friday evening to camp for two nights, for the price of a day pass

- we follow up with a thank you and another call to action, and share the leads with BMW NA.

Not to be a negative Nimbus, but I have heard for way too many years about how we want to have a more professional relationship with BMW. Unfortunately, BMW NA's 2023 budget is probably already potted, but that doesn't prevent us from pitching them on this.

I'm betting we could get at least 3-500 people to participate, and I'll bet a significant number of them would be in the market fo a new BMW motorrad (conquest sales are what BMW prizes most).

BMW NA gets new prospects, we get new paying members... win-win.

With this post, I volunteer to lead this, assuming the MOA puts a budget behind it.

Ian

ps -> any info on how many people came to Mfest? :ear

pps -> did we do anything cooperative with BMW NA at Barber Vintage Festival, where they were the title sponsor?

ppps -> Daytona, 2022.

9B545C0E-FA44-4663-8EC1-0976A599406F_1_105_c-XL.jpg

Well, then BMW may learn if you neglect your loyal customers, they wander when alternatives exist. BMW should remember that. I think they see some of that in the Harley PA. They had 6 active at this rally. There was a line.

There were some riders checking out the GS. So I hope they got their monies worth. And I talked to a couple of riders about the difference you only appreciate after some significant saddle time.

Rod

Rod,
This is just a simple business decision on their part. The people in the New Jersey BMW Motorrad office keep, or lose, their jobs based on unit sales. If you were in that situation and had a bike demo truck that was going to cost you $50,000 to deploy for the summer, would you send it to a group of people so loyal to the brand that they belong to the largest BMW motorcycle club in the world, with many owning two or more BMW bikes, or would you send it to an event where you could give hundreds of rides to people who have never ridden a BMW? :brow

So... here is the opportunity:

- next year's rally is within a day's ride for tens of thousands of motorcyclists, many of whom may be considering the purchase of a new BMW motorcycle.

- we have 6+ months to plan a cooperative promotion involving us, our chartered clubs, BMW NA and its dealers

- we invest in an integrated promotion involving "horizontal" (all brand) motorcycle magazines (print and on-line) and social media to reach a targeted profile (non-BMW riders and non-MOA members)

- we plan an event at our rally to "learn about the world of Motorrad" ... this could involve the BMW demo truck and Performance Center, along with the many, many expert volunteers within our membership

- we execute the event on Saturday during our rally, and allow attendees to arrive on Friday evening to camp for two nights, for the price of a day pass

Not to be a negative Nimbus, but I have heard for way too many years about how we want to have a more professional relationship with BMW. Unfortunately, BMW NA's 2023 budget is probably already potted, but that doesn't prevent us from pitching them on this.

I'm betting we could get at least 3-500 people to participate, and I'll bet a significant number of them would be in the market fo a new BMW motorrad (conquest sales are what BMW prizes most).

BMW NA gets new prospects, we get new paying members... win-win.

With this post, I volunteer to lead this, assuming the MOA puts a budget behind it.

Ian

ps -> any info on how many people came to Mfest? :ear

pps -> did we do anything cooperative with BMW NA at Barber Vintage Festival, where they were the title sponsor?

Ian,
Freakin' great idea! Really, I mean that. It's just that there is zero capacity - or authority - for the Rally Chairs to even think about such a thing. I know this from experience. So, it would have to be done by others, and right now the MOA is really short of "others" in a full-time "this is your job to do" capacity. Volunteers? Perhaps, but this kind of idea must be adopted at the top, as you know. There is a Board meeting Nov. 12th. at the MOA Office - could be a good time for a presentation?

Ian,
Freakin' great idea! Really, I mean that. It's just that there is zero capacity - or authority - for the Rally Chairs to even think about such a thing. I know this from experience. So, it would have to be done by others, and right now the MOA is really short of "others" in a full-time "this is your job to do" capacity. Volunteers? Perhaps, but this kind of idea must be adopted at the top, as you know. There is a Board meeting Nov. 12th. at the MOA Office - could be a good time for a presentation?

I plan to ride down to SC on my recently refurbished G/SPD+ on 11/12. :evil

And, Greg... you know my history. In the post above I volunteered to lead this, and I guarantee I can get volunteers to help. All I need is a reasonable (modest) budget and not to get second-guessed. :nod

Screen%20Shot%202022-10-10%20at%2012.58.26%20PM-X2.png

I plan to ride down to SC on my recently refurbished G/SPD+ on 11/12. :evil

And, Greg... you know my history. In the post above I volunteered to lead this, and I guarantee I can get volunteers to help. All I need is a reasonable (modest) budget and not to get second-guessed. :nod

Screen%20Shot%202022-10-10%20at%2012.58.26%20PM-X2.png

Sweet lookin' bike, Ian! Good luck with the other part. :brow

Ian,

I see an opportunity for someone to put their hand up.

Based on all the forum discussion lately, all BMW needs to do to sell a ton of new bikes to current MOA members and retain them as future buyers is to hand out free service manuals at the rally.

It's time for me to stand aside and let the next generation of riders form the MOA into the club they'd like to be in.

Volunteering to create an activity designed to attract that next generation is not standing in their way - it's holding the door open. :stick

Volunteering to create an activity designed to attract that next generation is not standing in their way - it's holding the door open. :stick

cough.... :stick

NA1_1280.jpg

(photo by Jon Beck)

Same dude with the umbrella, now a close friend, Scott Nogrady.

GoBig1-X3.jpg

Photo by Sam Miller, 15 year-old son of an MOA member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back