• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Will a 1200R triple clamp fit 1200ST?

ST Triple clamp replaced by R clamp ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too am trying to rise the bars on my newly acquired ST. In looking at the 1200R triple clamp, I was wondering if it would be a good option to the a/mkt. kits available? Has anybody tried to use the R triple clamp and if so, any obsticles?
Please upload photos if you have done this. If it is interchangable, where could I get the R clamp and how much should I expect to pay for a used one? Does the attached ball join remove/transfer?

I don't think so. The upper triple clamp on the ST connects to the frame with a ball joint, while the R uses a ball bearing. Without actually seeing the 2 parts, however, I can't be sure it won't work.

But assuming the parts do fit, another issue would be the offset between the fork tubes and the steering axis. To avoid unwanted geometry changes, the offset would need to be the same for the ST and the R.

2 different animals

Also the stanchion tubes are different diameters.

I ended up doing this to my wife's ST to raise her bars

This isi from the AC Schnitzer Handle Bar Kit
DSC04276.jpg

This is the addtional up and back I added
DSC01958.jpg

And this is the cockpit view
DSC01961.jpg

Another option is the Verholen kit that allows you to move the clip-on bars above the triple tree. That was just enough for me.

P1010482.jpg

As Brian noted that is a great solution.

We had the Verholen's on my wife's bike at first but there was still a reach issue for her, to much of a reach in her case.

Depends on how you what you need or want.

I plan to buy the Verholen kit come spring. That, plus a Corbin seat, and I'll be riding everywhere with no problems.

Go with AC Schnitzer Kit

I have the AC Schnitzer kit on my bike. It gives me just the right seating position for my V-Steam windsheld and no aches and pains in my arms and back. Build quality is excellent.

R1200ST handlebars

This is what I ended up doing on my 2007 ST. All parts are BMW except the handlebars.

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 139
This is what I ended up doing on my 2007 ST. All parts are BMW except the handlebars.

More details please!

Did you simply drill the stock triple tree? Which bar risers did you use, RT brake line? What handlebars are those, dimensions?

Jim :brow

Handlebars

Yes, I drilled the stock triple tree, 11/32 drill, 10mm by 1.50 tap. I did it off the bike but I would do it in place if I had to do it again. A sharp drill bit and a shop vac would save a lot of work. The bar mounts, (BMW calls them a clamping support), are for the new F800GS. I used two 10mm by 1.50 allen head bolts, 40mm in length, with Loc Tite, to hold them in place. You need to get them in line before you get them fully tight. The clutch hydraulic line, front brake master cyl. line and throttle cable are for a 2007 R1200GS. As are the two fluid reservoirs that I changed so they would sit level. My bike is a 2007 non-servo ABS model. I would get parts for the same year GS as the bike being modified, and if possible take a good look at a same year R1200GS as far as the brake line. You have to use common sense on making the wires reach, mine are about as far as they'll go with these bars. They are Renthal bars part WPS#25-7561, but because they are7/8" and not 1 1/8" like a GS, I had to get sleeves to make them fit. You can almost see them in the picture. The sleeves are from Billet Racing Products, part BMI-9231. I placed the bar mounts at the lower edge of the large flat area of the triple clamp, and toward the center until it touches the hump. See pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 107
Back