• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Greetings From Cental NC

2dflier

Hey all. First post but joined awhile back - selfishly motivated by hopes of parking that beautiful GS-W the foundation raffled off earlier in the year in my garage. But no, that spot is still occupied by the '04RT I've been on the last few years.

I've had one other boxer - an '04 R - that didn't last more than a few months at a time when I was swapping bikes with every change in wind direction. That bike, like the Duc ST3 that proceeded it, were just wrong for my riding situation at the time so I wasn't able to appreciate what each was really good at.

Not so this RT. I bought it late 2011 with 62K on the clock for Sturgis 2012, which is where a fair chunk of the 22K I've put on the bike have come from. Besides Sturgis, 99% of my miles are, and are expected to come in the near future from commuting. The boxer (except -W) is an acquired taste. Over the seasons and miles I have come to appreciate how well adapted and refined the RT is to both touring and commuting roles.

So I can see the next bike being a HEX head RT or GS, but for the time being I have to keep the '04 on the road. Which brings me to a question.

Right now the final drive is laying on the work bench. Long story short I was working on replacing the pivot bearings but found significant pitting, spall, or roll over damage to the crown gear tapered bearing rollers. The cup pressed into the housing is also pitted. I don't know the condition of the wheel (large ball) bearing but I can't detect any play and it rolls smoothly enough.

I'm trying to understand my repair options but can't seem to get into the Tech Articles to research those options. Selecting "More Tech Articles" after logging in leaves me on the same page (please see attached). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks much.
Logged In.JPG
Tech Articles.JPG

Welcome to the forum! You're among more than a few wished they might have won that bike!

As for tech articles, you were on the MOA home page where you selected "The Bike" and then "Tech Articles". That leads to you articles that are just on the homepage, which are not that many or in depth...they reflect articles that have also been in the Owners News in the past.

What you want is the forum section called "Oilheads". The first picture shows where to find the Oilheads discussion group on the home page. The second picture shows the inside of the Oilhead forum where you can ask questions or use the search box in the upper left to hunt for information.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• ForumOverview.jpg
    ForumOverview.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 56
  • InsideForum.jpg
    InsideForum.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 56
Welcome to the forum! You're among more than a few wished they might have won that bike!

As for tech articles, you were on the MOA home page where you selected "The Bike" and then "Tech Articles". That leads to you articles that are just on the homepage, which are not that many or in depth...they reflect articles that have also been in the Owners News in the past.

What you want is the forum section called "Oilheads". The first picture shows where to find the Oilheads discussion group on the home page. The second picture shows the inside of the Oilhead forum where you can ask questions or use the search box in the upper left to hunt for information.

Hope that helps!

Help it does. Thank you! I thought the Tech Articles were a forum or section unto themselves.

Welcome, some wonderful advise and people on this site. I too commute, mostly on I-40 as I work in Raleigh. It is not too bad, just watch out for the Nascar wanna be's that are out there. I also find September to be the worst month to commute. So many people going to the colleges and schools, the roads are packed with people that are late.

Sunday Biker's Breakfast.

Welcome aboard! I'm not horribly far from you!

I am nearby too. I'm from Hillsborough,NC (look for "old" named roads for good riding)

Have you heard of the Sunday bikers breakfast? It is a gathering of various bikes and people, and it is a good ride. 50+ bikes on good days. It is at Carolina Brewery at the intersection of US64 and US 501 in Pittsboro, NC. Look for the Lowe's mega store, and we are behind it.

Have you heard of the Sunday bikers breakfast?

It's great! I'm there most Sundays and my wife is there every other (she works alternate Sundays.) I'm usually on a purple Kawasaki (she took my R1100R; I miss getting to ride it much, but it's best that she doesn't hurt after an hour or two of riding.)

Back