• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

why no WWII bikes in vintage bike class?

H

HODAG

I always found it odd that it jumps from pre-war to post war?
Is it just being PC? I think a R-75 would be neat to look at?

just wonderring

Just being PC I think.

Germans and lovers of all things German canÔÇÖt seem to come to grips with the war. Sixty years after the end of the war World Cup commentators were observing that Germans finally felt good about themselves and showing a sense of national pride.

Or

It could be a conspiratorial effort to manipulate the value of WWII vintage machines.

I don't think there was much produced beyond the R75s they used during the war was there? I've seen a couple, both equipped with sidecars. One I saw had a dual range transmission/final drive arrangement. The lever was marked on one end with "Gelande" and on the other with "Strasse".

Origins of the GS?

KBasa said:
I don't think there was much produced beyond the R75s they used during the war was there? I've seen a couple, both equipped with sidecars. One I saw had a dual range transmission/final drive arrangement. The lever was marked on one end with "Gelande" and on the other with "Strasse".

Origins of the GS?

we have electric cars like that here at work, "pavement" and "turff", not as cool as 1941 R75 G/S though

KBasa said:

Origins of the GS?

r12's were also used (actually any civilian bike was pressed into service)
then came the r75's

the Gelande and Strasse meant exactly that
Gelande for cross country travel
Strasse for street travel

WWII bikes

We have had a number of WWII era bikes in the vintage displays in the past
and might very well have some again in VT this year. Not just military bikes either, though many of the civilian bikes were "borrowed" for the war effort.
Not all were returned in good working order. :cry

Friedle
38 R66, amongst others

Friedle said:
Not all were returned in good working order.

theres a joke among military vehicle collectors
"they had other things on their minds than keeping everything original and nice for some future collector"

Back