• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why did BMW do this with the R1100 RS center stand?

eastbay

Just picked up an R 1100 RS. I also have an R 1100 RT. On the RT the center Stand foot tang is behind the foot peg on this RS The tang comes right up between the shift lever and the foot peg. I can’t get my footi in all the way to Shift properly and I keep missing shifts on it. The rubber stop looks like it hits in the right place.Is this what they all do or has the center stand been replacedo360FA183-AE87-4623-B027-660DE0561D7F.jpeg6551E7D2-896D-4C1D-BD5D-C489BD9617EA.jpeg

Attachments

• 4BFCD97F-3689-4BA6-B2F6-1E25537319C3.jpeg
    4BFCD97F-3689-4BA6-B2F6-1E25537319C3.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 229
  • 0FA6C098-EED8-42D7-94F0-2887CF811D2A.jpg
    0FA6C098-EED8-42D7-94F0-2887CF811D2A.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 5CE3FAF7-FC7E-420B-8A4D-2442C2F22E4F.jpg
    5CE3FAF7-FC7E-420B-8A4D-2442C2F22E4F.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 227
My 2000 RS has the same stand, but it does not extend that high up. Maybe yours is missing a rubber stop, that would keep it lower?

I have a 94 R1100RS, purchased new. I hadn't paid attention to the position of the centerstand tang previously.
Below is a photo with the centerstand raised. It looks similar to that shown by the original poster. The tang
has never been in my way. My boot is outside of the tang. Riding and shifting up and down is pretty easy.

I find the R1100RS to be one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden. (P.S., looks like it is about time for
a new foot peg rubber :) )

r1100rs-seft-footpeg.jpg

Yup, same here.

Looks like my 1150. I posted asking the same thing a while ago and it looks like that's the way she's supposed to be. I have purchased a stand bumper that I believe is to a GS but don't quote me on that but it is about ½ cm taller. Haven't installed it yet. I'm also tossing around the idea of shortening that leg to be flush or just under the foot peg. A couple folks advised against that because it would increase the effort to raise the bike. But the effort is surprisingly low and an increase wouldn't bother me really. If it turned out to really be a problem I'd just buy another one or extend it back to factory.

Attachments

• PXL_20221008_174934952.jpg
    PXL_20221008_174934952.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 145
Looks like my 1150. I posted asking the same thing a while ago and it looks like that's the way she's supposed to be. I have purchased a stand bumper that I believe is to a GS but don't quote me on that but it is about ½ cm taller. Haven't installed it yet. I'm also tossing around the idea of shortening that leg to be flush or just under the foot peg. A couple folks advised against that because it would increase the effort to raise the bike. But the effort is surprisingly low and an increase wouldn't bother me really. If it turned out to really be a problem I'd just buy another one or extend it back to factory.
It's in my way, especially with a wide boot. I may cut it off.

Before you cut it off, remember that it’s one of the things that allows you to easily roll it onto the center stand, and it also adds to the bikes stability when it is on the center stand. Extending the shifter may be a better option?

Center Stand

Mine is in the way as well. But I'd hold off on chopping it off as that center stand is pretty useful. If I mod mine I'm just going to shorten it to where it's just below the peg. If I do I'll post a thread with pics and measurements.

Until this thread I'd never thought about the position of the center-stand tang. It has not been in my way riding. Today I took the R1100RS out for a ride. As I age it takes somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes for my knees to loosen up; afterwards I am ok, if a bit stiff in the knees after riding for a while.

I never notice the center-stand tang and there is no effect on shifting. When stopping for fuel I took a photo looking down at my left foot on the peg. The inner arch of the boot is close to, but not touching the tang.

lhs-r11rs-footpeg.jpg

Back