• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

whicha way does exhaust go?

the Wizard of Oz
When replacing the exhaust system, (whole thing, from the head pipes to the exhaust) do you work from front to back? i.e the head nuts, to the rear motor mount nuts, then to the two bolts in the rear of the frame? Or vice-versa?.....? or is there a pattern like when torquing the head nuts?

I've also got a Brown side stand that slightly alters the left rear motor mount.

Having seriously and repeatedly perfected the synch/ balance of the carbs and set the valves. I tried removing and replacing the exhaust to locate the cause of the annoying footpeg vibration. It seems pretty clearly to be in the exhaust mounts. I just loosend all the connections and pushed and wiggled the exhaust and the problem lessened. I don't know what part of the process did it, but it helped. I can now at least find a couple of mph / rpm combinations where she runs smooth

If you are asking "assembly order," I'm not sure it matters. But you torque fasteners from front to rear.

I always assemble with the muffler's outlet pointing to the rear of the bike. :laugh

which way

I always assemble with the muffler's outlet pointing to the rear of the bike. :laugh

But if you want your loud pipes to save lives, you should point them to the front of the bike......the area Professor Harry Hurt identified as the greatest potential for motorcycle crashes from drivers entering your right of way!

:violin

Friedle

If they are REALLY loud, I recommend a lazy outward curve, beginning perpendicular but in a plane with the swing arm, curving upwards and inwards so the terminus is about an inch from your buggering ears, but forward of the same so your nostrils can still savor the effluent.

Just sayin'....

Glad I am not the only one that got loose from the Happy Home.

:dance :jester

OK, I'll take a shot at giving you a real answer.

1)Hang it on the bike starting at the headers and working your way back to the muffler without tightening any hardware.

2)I would then start at the front and snug all the hardwear up working my way toward the rear.

3)At this point I would do a visual inspection to make sure the positioning is correct and I have what looks to be proper clearance between other parts of the bike.

4)Starting at the front and working toward the rear I would torque are hardware to BMW specifications.

5)start the bike and check for leaks. If no problems go to step 6

6)Ride the bike 5 miles. No problem? I would step 3 & 4 again at this point.

7)Go ride 50,000 miles

first, thanx to all

Well, repeating steps three and four...not to mention one and two is where I've been for several attempts. I've even invented some "2.5's." The rear mounts will not quite line up correctly no matter what i've tried. I keep thinking that I haven't got the head pipes in the ports quite right, as it's a booger to do by myself with the rest of the exhaust hanging loose. I can see where the next two hangers, at the footpegs, have left a mark on the chrome and I'm about 1/16" off. That would be the same 16th I can't quite mate at the rear i guess.
I wiggled jiggled, removed the cross-over, tried anti sieze and oil on the front end of the header to try and get it in absolutely straight. The distance from the nut back to where the fins start on the head "appears" to be the same as the portion of the head pipe I've got inserted.

maybe I just need more muscle putting the head pipe in the port to hold the rest of the exhaust at the proper angle. At least to get near the mounts to make it go all the way in.

I can't believe this process ought to be as hard as it has been w mine. Neither my first 50,000, nor the second on my previous airhead was as difficult as the first 5000 on this one. I'm about pooped.

Thanx, again for the suggestions.

Thanx for the thought but they're not switched. They never really moved from under the bike. just off the mounts and out of the ports. The rear mounts would be on the wrong side if you tried to switch them.

I once had a shop in L.A. screw up the mufflers while servicing my old airhead. It took me a couple hours to figure out how my mufflers got so cruddy. They were, of course, upside down. That was a labor charge I'd paid for and then fixed myself. I should've gone back and made them do it but it was quicker to do it myself.

Hmmm...here's $0.02 worth.

"If you think you are standing in the wrong line, then you probably are."

Sounds to me that you are careful in your process to make sure everything is lined up "the right way", and still get a no-go.

Perhaps it is time to take a good hard look at all the contact and hanging points, because I suspect something (or more than one something) is bent or tweaked out of shape. Probably not your fault, either. The doofus who installed your mufflers wrong may be involved.

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

Back