• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which Add-On Lights?

R

RTNewbie

I'm looking to add some driving/fog lights to my R1100RT. Which lights and mounting brackets have you had the best luck with? What electrical/switch set-up works best?

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking to add some driving/fog lights to my R1100RT. Which lights and mounting brackets have you had the best luck with? What electrical/switch set-up works best?

Thanks in advance.

Kinda depends on what you want the lights for. Riding in the dead of night on deserted roads - high mounted HIDs wired to your high beams. Extra visibility to oncoming vehicles plus auxiliary lighting that can be on all the time - low mounted Motolights with an independent on/off switch.

You can go lots of different ways on light switching. Check out Paul Glaves' article on his K75 setup: http://www.mindspring.com/~p_vglaves/relaybox.htm

Do a forum search on lighting - don't restrict it to the Oilhead section because everyone talks about it. This topic has been discussed once or twice before. :)

I put PIAA 1100's on the forks using a bracket from CycleGadgets. I also have Hella fog lamps mounted to the cyl guards with brackets made by Hawks. I control both with AutoSwitchs through the turn cancel switch.

I get increased conspicuity during the day and lots of light at night. Nice and low to the road so IÔÇÖm not blinding on coming traffic.

PIAA's under oil cooler

I got the lights and mounting bracket from CycleGadgets as a set. No complaints on amount of light, but fender is scratched on both sides from bottoming out shock. They are supposed to be engineered with that clearance in mind, but....

lites

Big "thumbs up" for the PIAA 1100X, and the brackets from Cyclegadgets. I also added the switch for the turn signal cancel, so I can switch on or off as I choose, but they are normally off when starting the Bike. Made a noticable difference.:clap

I put on Hella FF50 lights mounted to eMp Designs brackets. Installed AutoSwitch which uses turn signal cancel button to control light relay.

1174394217.jpg

Back