• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

When is a helmet too old????

S

stagehand16

I have a itching to purchase the new Shoei Multitec helmet-presently my current helmet is aprox. 5 years old-never have been in accident or severely impacted-wondering if there is a life expectancy for helmets. Any comments would be appriciated. :dunno

I was told the first time I bought my Shoei X-11 that there's a rule of thumb of five years for a life of a helmet. I think some of that needs to be gauged with how much the helmet is worn. For example, if you owned several helmets and one tends to sit on the shelf for years, how bad could it be whith hardly any use ?

Having said that, I tried on the Multitec last week at my local shop and I would say it's definately time for you to get a new helmet.

i've heard 3-5 years or when it has an impact, whichever comes first.

mine's 3 now, and i really want a flipface before my next long ride. i doubt it'll last 5. :evil

I was told the first time I bought my Shoei X-11 that there's a rule of thumb of five years for a life of a helmet. I think some of that needs to be gauged with how much the helmet is worn. For example, if you owned several helmets and one tends to sit on the shelf for years, how bad could it be whith hardly any use ?

Having said that, I tried on the Multitec last week at my local shop and I would say it's definately time for you to get a new helmet.

If you store your helmet in a place with electric motors or solvent fumes, they can last less time. Apparently, the fumes or ozone break down the polystyrene in the helmet that takes the hit instead of your head.

I replace them at 4 or 5 years. Usually, by then, they fit so loosely, it's time for a new one.

Polystyrene takes about 2000 years to decompose...I don't believe that your helmet has a "shelf life" that limits it's usefulness...the real issue is wear and tear...or the need to be stylish...if it's still a snug fit and it hasn't been in a crash, I'd use it...but a new flip front helmet is pretty sweet:thumb

Polystyrene takes about 2000 years to decompose...I don't believe that your helmet has a "shelf life" that limits it's usefulness...the real issue is wear and tear...or the need to be stylish...if it's still a snug fit and it hasn't been in a crash, I'd use it...but a new flip front helmet is pretty sweet:thumb

Polystyrene is affected by solvent vapors depending upon concerntration. It has nothing to do with natural decomposition in a land fill sense. If you doubt this, place a styrofoam cup over an open solvent container and see what happens to the cup in a matter of time. Dip the cup into the solvent if you are impatient...lol. Of course this is an accelerated test but you would get the idea. Either way it's always a good time for a new skid lid.

Polystyrene is affected by solvent vapors depending upon concerntration. It has nothing to do with natural decomposition in a land fill sense. If you doubt this, place a styrofoam cup over an open solvent container and see what happens to the cup in a matter of time. Dip the cup into the solvent if you are impatient...lol. Of course this is an accelerated test but you would get the idea. Either way it's always a good time for a new skid lid.

...just a brief 'aside': a 15 year old me working a 'first job' in a small engine repair shop with some 'much older guys'. One hands me his empty styrofoam coffee cup and tells me to get him some gas and bring it back. So I did. About 2 seconds after filling the inevitable happened. They thought it was pretty funny. Pulled that one a few times when I became a 'much older guy'. So as not to digress way off the bubble here, store the helmet properly, use a liner and replace as indicated by others. -Bob

5 Year Rule A Good One

Though the 'life' of a motorcycle helmet cannot be counted down to the final second, the 5 year rule is a pretty good gauge to follow. The foam inside your helmet has a certain amount of moisture forced into it during manufacture. After 5 - 7 years, the foam has dried to a point where it is more powder than cushion.

This is why Shoei, for example, dates all their helmets and pulls them from a dealer if they have not sold in 2 years on the shelf, figuring they only have 5 useful years left.

I have observed BMW owners to be a somewhat 'miserly' bunch, and kudos to their frugality. However, cutting corners on your helmet is not where you should pinch pennies.

Rule of Thumb: "You can own a helmet for up to five years, but can only use it once."

+1 on the 5 year deal

Or unless you'd like a newer looking unit to augment your flashy
new to you scooter!!! :blah

I agree

with the 5 year rule EXCEPT when you are dying to buy a new helmet, then you divide the price of the helmet you are planning to replace by the number of years you have used it and subtract your wifes venemous stare when your new helmet shows up. If that number satisfies you then you are in the clear...

Seriously though, the helmet does age, heat, pollution make it more brittle with age and dropping it makes micro cracks. If you drop it more than two or three times on a hard surface I'd start thinking about replacing it.

Ah but it is not the polystyrene that take a hit but the foam padding that starts to fall apart and shower you with little black bits when you wear the thing...

Though the 'life' of a motorcycle helmet cannot be counted down to the final second, the 5 year rule is a pretty good gauge to follow. The foam inside your helmet has a certain amount of moisture forced into it during manufacture. After 5 - 7 years, the foam has dried to a point where it is more powder than cushion.

My head sweats a lot so that should have the effect of re-moisturizing the foam. :)

If you make a habit of hanging your helmet on your mirrors, you'll eventually compress the foam in the back of the helmet and it won't fit right anymore. That can shorten its life, especially if that's how you store your helmet in your garage - like my neighbor does. :bluduh

I have a itching to purchase the new Shoei Multitec helmet-presently my current helmet is aprox. 5 years old-never have been in accident or severely impacted-wondering if there is a life expectancy for helmets. Any comments would be appriciated. :dunno

Five years is the standard for helmet replacement (Seven years would be the ABSOLUTE maximum). By then, you can assume it has gotten enough bumps and knocks to be less effective, anyhow.

Arai will not sell replacement parts for a helmet that is more than 5 years old.

P

Back