• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How To? Replace the Rubber 'Footrest Pad' R1250RS

fastfwd

I suppose I've been dismounting my RS using the footrest with a little too much torque on the rubber and I've worn the left side out.

I was able to find a replacement footrest pad, but I'm not exactly sure how the old one comes off and new one goes on. Are these riveted into place? The parts are available for purchase separately. You can purchase the rivets and the 'retaining plate' (which appears to be fine). I was hoping maybe it just clipped in to that retaining plate somehow, but maybe the rivets have to be drilled out and new rivets used to secure the assembly again? I've never had to rivet anything in my life. This will be the first time if so.

Thanks!

Bmw foot peg rubbers are either riveted or bolted on. Mine were riveted. Went to home depot bought bolts and lockwashers. Also a tap. Job done at a far cheaper repair.:wave Or you can use rivets, your choice.

The R1200/1250RS footrest rubber is riveted on and the rivets need to be drilled out to remove.

Bmw foot peg rubbers are either riveted or bolted on. Mine were riveted. Went to home depot bought bolts and lockwashers. Also a tap. Job done at a far cheaper repair.:wave Or you can use rivets, your choice.

Thanks! The old posts on this that I spotted initially that sounded greek to me are now starting to make more sense that I've inspected it more closely. I also see a few mentions of getting it covered under warranty while having the bike serviced for the 12k service (which I'm due for soon).

I already bought the rubber. I could either hang on to it for a future spare or do as you suggest and skip that rivet setup and just swap it out with a suitable nut and bolt and some lock-tight which might make any future replacements much easier.

I had no idea there were so many rivet types. I don't have the metric sizes available locally that I've found so far. I see mention of not mixing certain metals too? Aluminum rivets in steel? The pegs seem to be some kind of alloy (possibly aluminum) and the inner retaining plate appears to be steel. Not sure, but that would make it hard to not mix something in the wrong combination. I can do an internet search on this myself I suppose.

The factory rivets are almost $8 each which is rather pricey. I hate to experiment with those as my first attempting at riveting anything. The recess in the footpeg apparently makes it a bit of a chore to do the rivets properly as I gather too.

Thanks for the replies.

Back