• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

When Collision avoidance systems go weird~

Try an update.
OM

Had a an update done in the spring. Seems to have helped with alerts coming from lane monitoring systems and collision avoidance systems, however, the bear incident was before the update. For no discernible reason I was occasionally getting alerts as I rode the Icefields Parkway. I came upon a line of cars stopped in the road and the V1 was alerting with vigor. As the traffic moved on I saw that people were stopping to look at a sow and two cubs on the side of the road. As I moved on the alert switched from front to side to rear as I passed the sow wearing a locator collar.

Collision crap

2012 Ford Taurus SHO fun car has most of the collision avoidance crap most of it sucks. The indicators in mirrors that show a car in your blind spot when changing lanes good the rest not so good starts raining cruse control gone someone turns right ahead of you it goes crazy when you go by turning car ( car can be 20 or 30 feet off road, most annoying cruse set for say 75 come up on a car going 70 little indicator comes on car starts slowing soon your going 70 nice safe interval between you and other car except people don't get in a hurry to pull out of a passing lane if car behind going same speed and several hundred feet back, safer yes until cars start passing on right tailgating developing a good case of road rage.
Another thing some will stop car to avoid rear end collision, some slow car so it's not a high speed collision. Plus when thing goes off there is so much racket an flashing lights it scares you into inaction or causes you to slam on brakes increasing chances you will get rear ended.

2012 Ford Taurus SHO fun car has most of the collision avoidance crap most of it sucks. The indicators in mirrors that show a car in your blind spot when changing lanes good the rest not so good starts raining cruse control gone someone turns right ahead of you it goes crazy when you go by turning car ( car can be 20 or 30 feet off road, most annoying cruse set for say 75 come up on a car going 70 little indicator comes on car starts slowing soon your going 70 nice safe interval between you and other car except people don't get in a hurry to pull out of a passing lane if car behind going same speed and several hundred feet back, safer yes until cars start passing on right tailgating developing a good case of road rage.
Another thing some will stop car to avoid rear end collision, some slow car so it's not a high speed collision. Plus when thing goes off there is so much racket an flashing lights it scares you into inaction or causes you to slam on brakes increasing chances you will get rear ended.

The future that awaits us all, I fear.

Build clueless into driver's psyche and the door opens for general welfare clause. Saw two cages recently cruising down the road with flat tires. Apparently were unable to sense the problem. First came by, smoke trailing from two right side flats, rubber shredding, a real stinko in the air. Second, same senario, one flat. These were late models, one very high end. I don't imagine either of these two could avoid hitting a bike if they 'didn't see it' officer.

Have a safe and reflective forth.

Build clueless into driver's psyche and the door opens for general welfare clause.

I had to pass this on. My wife has sold automobile insurance for AAA of Southern California for 38 years. Yesterday she had to deal with the owner of a new car who thought the rates quoted her were "absolutely ridiculous".

She said she had done her homework and purchased the vehicle specifically because, "it is equipped with the latest collision avoidance sensors and impossible to get into an accident". She was so irate that she stormed out of my wife's office.

I wonder what else she believes... ..

Back