• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

wheelspeed sensors

Well, if the ABS system lights go out when the bike has exceeded about 3mph then the signal strength from the sensors is ok. But I suppose you could check the sensor coil for continuity, since all it is, is a wire wrapped around a core. If you were to probe between the two connector pins on the sensor harness you should get continuity or a very low resistance value.

If you get a high resistance value, or basically an infinite ohms reading, then the sensor would be "open" or bad. I do not have any value for the resistance of a good wheel speed sensor.

If you could attach a voltmeter to the sensor connector wires and then spin the wheel, you should get an AC voltage ouput, though I have no idea what that value would be.

Well, if the ABS system lights go out when the bike has exceeded about 3mph then the signal strength from the sensors is ok. But I suppose you could check the sensor coil for continuity, since all it is, is a wire wrapped around a core. If you were to probe between the two connector pins on the sensor harness you should get continuity or a very low resistance value.

If you get a high resistance value, or basically an infinite ohms reading, then the sensor would be "open" or bad. I do not have any value for the resistance of a good wheel speed sensor.

If you could attach a voltmeter to the sensor connector wires and then spin the wheel, you should get an AC voltage ouput, though I have no idea what that value would be.

I think the impedance check is probably the best without an oscilloscope since the average voltage is probably small. I don't know the resistance value either but I would guess from the several hundreds of ohms to the several thousands of ohms.

Back