• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wheelies?

Sportrider

One thing I miss since ditching my old sportbike for a BMW -- pulling the occasional wheelie! My R1100rs with its low center of gravity doesn't seem to want to do them. And I'm a little unsure if the driveshaft could handle the strain so I haven't really forced the issue. Anybody know if harm can come from indulging this guilty pleasure?

I don't have any hard data, but I have heard that it is not the best thing in the world for the final drive. But it can be done.

To get a bike like the R1100RS to wheelie, I would guess requires some higher rpm and fanning the clutch to generate enough torque to lift the front end.

But, since the bike has a single plate, dry, air cooled clutch (just like a car) I'd bet it doesn't take well to that kind of treatment. Since you only have one clutch plate, any excessive wear will significantly reduce the service mileage of the clutch assembly. Also, on a BMW it takes a lot more disassembly to replace the clutch versus any Japanese bikes with a wet multi-plate clutch. I can do a clutch job on a Jap bike in about 1-1/2 hours. On my 94 R1100RS its a good eight hour job, for me.

I think you'd be better off to find yourself a cosmetically trashed 600cc sport-bike if you feel inclined to wheelie, and leave the RS to more of it's natural element. That or get a big thumper dirt bike to wheelie off road to your hearts content. That's what I did.

There are several ways to get the R1100RS to wheelie (i.e., one wheel off the ground). I've unintentionally done this a few times.

Once with the wife on board I accelerated while crossing a railroad track on the other side of an intersection in a small town. The RR crossing had a small rise which coupled with the low speed high torque acceleration briefly caused the front wheel to come up (a few inches). No harm, no foul and we continued on our way.

Another time I was riding in some hilly terrain in southern Ohio. The road more or less fell away as I was coming over a rise with a bit of acceleration. I saw a few inches of daylight beneath the front wheel and figured out the obvious. In that part of the state not all of the roads are marked as to upcoming turns. If one has too much velocity coming over some rises it is possible for both wheels to have some daylight showing beneath them and the road. Oftentimes the next turn will be sharp at the bottom of the hill.... Very difficult to set up for the turn while airborne.

And at a MSF course I was doing the final rapid stop. I could feel the front ABS pulsating but not the rear. I remarked on this to the instructor measuring the stopping distance. He said that my rear tire was about three inches off the ground while I was stopping. Whoa nelly! I did have the shortest stopping distance in the class, however.

My formula for popping a wheelie on an RT:

1. Load the bike up for touring with plenty of weight in the Givi trunk.
2. Put myself and a pillion (my wife) on the bike.
3. Sit on a steeply inclined interstate exit ramp while the inattentive car driver in front of you fails to notice that the stoplight has turned green.
4. Get pissed off.
5. When the driver finally pulls out and the stoplight turns yellow give the throttle a nice twist and dump the clutch.
6. Enjoy the thrilling feeling of the front end lofting into the air.
7. Brace yourself for a punch to the right kidney, delivered by the pillion.

The 1100s and 1150s will need some clutch dumpage to wheelie well. The 1200GS does great power wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear. More power and less weight is good.

Jimmy Lewis can make just about any bike do a wheelie. Not sure about GWs and LTs.

PB07JimmyLewis047c.jpg

Get a second bike...

Find yourself a used Honda F2 or F3, and make that your "wheelie" ride.

Or find nice 2-stroke MX'er. Just give her the throttle, and away you go!

:wave

:laugh :laugh :laugh I know that's right!

Luckily, Helen is on the other bike when that has happened. The first was turning into my neighborhood after a trip and the RT was loaded up. Throttled up a short steep incline,unknowingly rolled off throttle just long enough to unload suspension...rolled back and away I went for about 5 car lengths...the radio crackled " having fun yet?". No clutch needed on the 1200's. I would think it sure torques the driveline and u-joints...keep thinking my son wearing out u-joints in Ford Ranger popping the clutch...keeps me grounded on the big boys

Slightly different here when following your start procedure:
7. Shriek in the ear from aft
8. The immediate body lean to the right to see if I need help steering, usually before the front wheel plants itself
9. Punch in the right kidney
10. :fight

Wheelies are not good for the splines. It will cause premature wear. They can be done on an 1100 with not much effort. In first just roll the throtle and it will power right up. No clutch dumping needed.

Back