• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's the Weather like where you are today?

Everyone wants a neighbor like you, Steve. Sounds like you can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Welcome back, Henzilla. What froze on the rainwater system?

Main collector between tank valve array and pump. Two inch pvc and wrapped and covered with metal flashing. That ten foot run sits on top of ground basically and was flowing until long outage and howling wind thru carport. I used a small ceramic heater under a large tent made from metal building roof trim. Got water after about three hours when power stabilized but had a long crack. Lessons learned... will add heat tape and add more insulation. The pump and filters in the insulated enclosure were almost frozen as well with slushy almost hardened ice. I got the heat back there first to not crack critical components
Been cold many times but not this level for so long
My neighbors same pump sits in between storage containers and froze everything from cold and wind during long stretch. Will see what’s messed up when I get tank flow I hope to find shortly

In Texas, if lines are 18” deep, your lucky. Many I found here are maybe eight at most. This is a rare event,but identified some correctable weaknesses.

TO THOSE HIT BY THE COLD SNAP

Repair parts will probably be in short supply in Texas in the days ahead. If small items like plumbing couplers etc are needed PM me a list of what you need and I'll put together care packages. Our hardware stores up here are well stocked.

Pete

5f, the sun IS still up there, but the forecast says just for today. The John Deere tractor was not happy when I said start! The same as I have felt getting out of bed on a cold day. :hungover.

Repair parts will probably be in short supply in Texas in the days ahead. If small items like plumbing couplers etc are needed PM me a list of what you need and I'll put together care packages. Our hardware stores up here are well stocked.

Pete

:clap :clap :clap

Pete

Great offer!

I keep lots of fittings and pipe, but even my McGyver collection ran short after awhile. Found another stash at two neighbors, but still missing some needed pieces.

Yes, bins empty at rural sources, The Depot had gates on aisle with nine person limit( friend an assistant manager) and very low stock if not out. Some plumbers having no consideration for anyone else bought boxes of fittings, leaving none for the small need shopper. Yes, your business but have a conscience and I’ll not go off here.
It was the creative person like me that found workarounds for adapters for mating two different size pipes. Luckily it worked in my favor and I got another system up at sunset last night. The smile and tears from the neighbors was payment enough... That and a fresh chocolate chip cookie or two!

Thanks again Pete

Pete

:thumb:thumb

Great offer!

I keep lots of fittings and pipe, but even my McGyver collection ran short after awhile. Found another stash at two neighbors, but still missing some needed pieces.

Yes, bins empty at rural sources, The Depot had gates on aisle with nine person limit( friend an assistant manager) and very low stock if not out. Some plumbers having no consideration for anyone else bought boxes of fittings, leaving none for the small need shopper. Yes, your business but have a conscience and I’ll not go off here.
It was the creative person like me that found workarounds for adapters for mating two different size pipes. Luckily it worked in my favor and I got another system up at sunset last night. The smile and tears from the neighbors was payment enough... That and a fresh chocolate chip cookie or two!

Thanks again Pete

:thumb:thumb

For new DIY plumbers - you want lead-free solder, flux, that cloth-backed abrasive that comes in 1" wide rolls, a metal shield of some sort for sweating copper pipes close to combustible materials, etc.

Another DIY system for pipe repair- ProPress This has become my favorite repair tool for pipe repair. The tool itself is expensive to purchase but a plumbing supply- in my area, will rent the press for $50.00/day.

There is no smoke, no fire and as long as you make sure you do the proper fit-up, joints are easy. This system allows a wet-tap meaning that a severed line with full pressure can have a ball-valve installed while the water is running. Anyone that has tried to "sweat" a pipe connection knows there can't be any water near the joint. A ranch style house could be "crimped" in a days rental.

OM

Sunny and cold -10ºC this am the chickens are doing fine.

And thankfully all of the copper is gone from my house replaced with PEX.

Sunny and cold -10ºC this am the chickens are doing fine.

And thankfully all of the copper is gone from my house replaced with PEX.

Headed to a sunny 70f today and 79 Wednesday. I need a break and a ride so taking a me day!

The cleanup everywhere continues and water systems coming online in local towns. The most damage is pipes in attics here... some homes have water heater in attic to make more room in house... works until it doesn’t!

Yeah, that press looks like one we used for electrical splices. Nice alternative to soldering
I too replaced failing copper system with PEX a few years back in main house.

0930 - Al.most up to 50F, westerly "breeze" @ 25-35mph. The snow is melting quickly but more expected tomorrow.

Back