• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's the Weather like where you are today?

A veritable "Heat Wave" +16F!

But we have a "Flood Warning" as Spearfish Creek freezes from the bottom up and is being pushed out of its banks in town.
Thankfully, I live on a hill l above the town, way above town!

No power outages here but I'm prepared with two Honda EU2000 generators. One for downstairs to power the heater, another upstairs to run the refrigerator and freezer. 10 gallons of extra gasoline of needed before I have to start siphoning from the vehicles.

The Internet has been intermittent the past few days statewide.

Pretty wild watching how much of the US is under snow right now. I'm some glad I'm not down there with morons who have no idea of how to drive in it trying to get around on summer tires!

We have been tapdancing below 0 F at night for over a week. -22 F last night. Single digits during the day but we have warmer temps predicted in the near future. Went to the carwash today and something froze when I was one car away, so they shut down. Feeling good about the Generac we did last year. No power outages yet but our prime time for that is March when we get wide swings in temps and ice producing storms. We are on natural gas and about twenty year ago it got so cold the natural gas had problems flowing. I think it had something to do with the natural gas transfer stations.

Spring is right around the corner.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

0ºC here today and the sun is out. Nice day, we did the necessary shovelling yesterday all wet and heavy. Plus we took a good layer of snow off the roof of the chicken coop as the snow was so heavy.

We too bought a small Generac last year as backup for our 2 deep freezes if we lose power. Our only real concern is losing our food.

0ºC here today and the sun is out. Nice day, we did the necessary shovelling yesterday all wet and heavy. Plus we took a good layer of snow off the roof of the chicken coop as the snow was so heavy.

We too bought a small Generac last year as backup for our 2 deep freezes if we lose power. Our only real concern is losing our food.

When we owned our home and rural property in the Cascade foothills, we would lose power several times a year from wind. I decided to buy a generator and started watching CL. Found a guy who had the contract to convert microwave towers in the Cascades to cell towers, which included a smaller generator because of less power demands. He was selling the microwave generators as part of his contract. I bought one...50Kw for $4000. It was powered by the big commercial Cummins diesel and had less than 500 hours on the engine (those motors aren't even broken in until 1000 hours). The purchase also included the automatic switch (those alone sold for $8000 according to my electrician). After installation, I had about $7000 into a $75,000 system. Definitely one of my best CL purchases ever!

It was awesome to hear that big diesel fire up the second the power flickered! My neighbor used to joke about running an extension cord to his house with all that power to spare.

Rain to the south of us, ice to the north of us! Here in the Texas Big Bend, 30 miles from Mexico it is now 30F. It rained most of the night but got colder so it has now snowed for about 5 hours. Unlike much of the state which still has over a million homes without electricity, we still have power again yet for a while we think.

When we owned our home and rural property in the Cascade foothills, we would lose power several times a year from wind. I decided to buy a generator and started watching CL. Found a guy who had the contract to convert microwave towers in the Cascades to cell towers, which included a smaller generator because of less power demands. He was selling the microwave generators as part of his contract. I bought one...50Kw for $4000. It was powered by the big commercial Cummins diesel and had less than 500 hours on the engine (those motors aren't even broken in until 1000 hours). The purchase also included the automatic switch (those alone sold for $8000 according to my electrician). After installation, I had about $7000 into a $75,000 system. Definitely one of my best CL purchases ever!

It was awesome to hear that big diesel fire up the second the power flickered! My neighbor used to joke about running an extension cord to his house with all that power to spare.

Totally off the thread topic but in response to this posting.....

I was in Buenos Aires on business a few years ago. Power outages were such a regular occurrence that every shop on a main street had a Honda, or similar, generator out on the sidewalk with cables running into the store that they'd fire up whenever needed. The hotel I was in had a huge generator (about half the size of a flatbed trailer) parked in the curb lane on the street outside. It would fire up about twice a day spewing diesel smoke directly into the lobby. The pollution in that city was something to behold.

Now....the weather where I am is 5C and cloudy.

-18ºC last night, I think the coldest we've head this year. The chickens are doing fine. Sunny above freezing now.

Just heard from Henzilla. Verizon is back on, rainwater system is working again and power is back on.
Current temp is 35 F.
He was headed out to help two neighbors get their power back on.

Just heard from Henzilla. Verizon is back on, rainwater system is working again and power is back on.
Current temp is 35 F.

Once a lineman, always a lineman. :)

-22°C last night but today is warming up to -7°C and now it's snowing.
+3°C and rain in the forecast for Wednesday.

Current temp is 35 F.

Once a lineman, always a lineman. :)

Yup, his is a skill set that will quite useful in the current conditions. Wouldn’t surprise me if he is getting calls about coming back to work.

Now that was fun :banghead Still not finished!

We were staying on top of freeze until the 7 hour outage shut all heat sources for well houses
and temps in teens
Tuesday . Everyone lost their water system. ERCOT finally started a two hour on two hour off attempt.
Luckily Franklin Stove kept house toasty.
Verizon lost its tower power Saturday and signal was in and out depending on where you were standing on hillside. Then the ice storm after the 4” snow and another two inches snow Sunday... wet the second time. Phone/ internet Friday morning
Got full power Thursday I think, and thawed rainwater system to find shattered pipe. Had well water at well house, so bucket brigade to house and neighbors.
Made repairs and got rainwater going for a Happy H. Then down the hill to repair wells and melted breakers and wiring at two neighbors. Two more had controller problems I couldn’t fix until parts sourced. Local supply folks out and Amazon not rolling yet.
Good news is thaw is on and Sunday should do it. The ranches cows were serenading me as
I tried to get their water on as well. Axe and a few buckets for now!

I did get a call to come play lineman but declined for now to get our systems and neighbors up. I do not miss the long hours and increasingly desperate and angry folks who started terrorizing local crews.
They don’t consider that most these guys/ gals left powerless homes and families to come help them. No control of who gets the rolling outages, just putting systems back together

https://twitter.com/CWatkinsWDSU/status/1361353720689221635
This made me have a few flashbacks! Seen it about six times, caused it once knocking ice of wire one night... I RAN!

Have heat on neighbors rain system and heading down after the warm up from 26 last night and finding enough couplings to do repairs Have muddy clothes from a lot of digging piled up!

Wow, at least up here the systems are designed to deal with cold and snow. Doesn't mean we don't occasionally get slammed but by and large all is well. So far this winter we've pretty much been sitting around freezing.

Back