• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What small town have you discovered while on the road?

Paonia was my destination for the TOR Rally a few years ago, so technically not found on the road. But what a great town - beautiful setting, has the basics covered, and they seemed very happy to host the rally.

Another little town

Back in 2004, I came across a quaint little town with two motorcycle museums and a real cool drug store/soda fountain (for sale by the way) in Kansas west of I-35 off of the Lindsborg exit. One of the museums was dedicated to British bikes and the other was more eclectic. The more diverse house of bikes was watched over by an old racer called Stan the Man. The town also hosts a bike rally once a year. Opps, I forgot to identify the town. It's Marquette, Kansas.

Last edited:
Adirondak, NY. Four or five buildings, a post office, a general store (AWESOME BREAKFAST) and a phone booth, an honest to goodness real glass phone booth, a dying breed. The 'town' sits on Schroon lake.

Reed Point, MT

We pulled off I-94 to fuel and met a guy riding a sportster with Oregon plates. Chatted a bit and went into "Town" for lunch. Town is scant. The gas station at the clover leaf, an 1880's hotel and saloon of the same vintage, there is a few houses and a grain elevator.

Great burgers and service at the saloon. Had a great time chatting with the Oregonian.

Little did we know untill we stopped that the town is world famous.
The sign read:

REEDPOINT, MT
Population 96
Sheep drive capitol
of the world

jim

Attachments

• 14 Reedpoint.jpg
    14 Reedpoint.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
enhanced-buzz-22040-1328563163-171.jpg

Bumpass, VA. Near Mortons BMW.

Teeny Towns- ?

Riley, WI - west of Madison, between Verona and Mt. Horeb. US 151 connects the two, but if you stick to the highway, you'll never find it (a feature, not a bug IMHO)
It's north of 151, where Hwy 'J' and Klevenville-Riley road intersect. The old railroad (reason for the place's existence) is now a recreation trail, but the Riley Tavern is still a grand destination with fabulous burgers and neat roads all around...

Marmarth N,Dakota, the least populated town I've ever seen. Darn near a ghost town . Kinda 'spooky' actually.
It was a 2-3 hour ride from where I stayed the previous night, [Baker,Mt] and a 2-3 hour ride to the next town[?]...along US-12

Glen Ferris, WV (population: 203)

My wife and I were on the homeward bound leg of a seven day trip. It was late afternoon as we took US-60 east out of Charleston, WV. The weather forecast for the day called for scattered thunderstorms. One of the thunderstorms settled directly over the mountain pass we would have to travel through.

The winds picked up, funneled through the narrow gorge we were riding in. We saw lots of other riders coming down US-60 heading west, wearing rain gear or just totally soaked. Then the thunder and lightening started -- coming together, no delay between the thunder and the lightening. As this was my wife's first trip riding her own motorcycle, I made the call we were done for the day.

The next town we came to was Glen Ferris. The only place in town offering rooms was the Glen Ferris Inn. It had nice rooms and a good restaurant which served up a great Prime Rib.

http://www.glenferrisinn.com/

Last edited:
Glenn Ferris, WV (population: 203)

My wife and I were on the homeward bound leg of a seven day trip. It was late afternoon as we took US-60 east out of Charleston, WV. The weather forecast for the day called for scattered thunderstorms. One of the thunderstorms settled directly over the mountain pass we would have to travel through.

The winds picked up, funneled through the narrow gourge we were riding in. We saw lots of other riders coming down US-60 heading west, wearing rain gear or just totally soaked. Then the thunder and lightening started -- coming together, no delay between the thunder and the lightening. As this was my wife's first trip riding her own motorcycle, I made the call we were done for the day.

The next town we came to was Glenn Ferris. The only place in town offering rooms was the Glenn Ferris Inn. It had nice rooms and a good restaurant which served up a great Prime Rib.

http://www.glenferrisinn.com/

I have had similar situations, don't ya just luv it ? when an un-planed stop turns out to a good one.

Ok. That's it. That's three. Twisp? Just based on that name, I would avoid the town. That name just sounds too ... too ... well, kinky.
Booger Holler? No way I would go near a town with a name like that.
There was one other ... oh, yeah,
Bug Tussle? No way. Flippin? No possible way.
Seriously, the first thing a good town needs is a good name. Otsego and Oswego are ok, as is Owosso. I think I have been to all 3, if I have those correct.
Cummins? Ok, sounds like a diesel.
Ann Arbor? Ah, I had some good times there. And that name does sound woodsy.
Some more of my favorites: Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Julian. Campo, Tecate, and Oakhurst.
Ashland. Palmetto. Bradenton. There have to be 1000 at least.
dc

We were going thru NC and I missed a couple of turns, and ended up picking another rt. Traveling along Rt 52 we passed Log Cabin BBQ in Albermarle. The place was very busy for 1pm on a week day. We did a quick turn around and had a great lunch in a nice little town.

Ok. That's it. That's three. Twisp? Just based on that name, I would avoid the town. That name just sounds too ... too ... well, kinky.
Booger Holler? No way I would go near a town with a name like that.
There was one other ... oh, yeah,
Bug Tussle? No way. Flippin? No possible way.
Seriously, the first thing a good town needs is a good name. Otsego and Oswego are ok, as is Owosso. I think I have been to all 3, if I have those correct.
Cummins? Ok, sounds like a diesel.
Ann Arbor? Ah, I had some good times there. And that name does sound woodsy.
Some more of my favorites: Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Julian. Campo, Tecate, and Oakhurst.
Ashland. Palmetto. Bradenton. There have to be 1000 at least.
dc

Whassamatta with Twisp? :brad

Actually, it's more of a (small) wide spot in the road than a town. But the ride through there on the North Cascades Highway (only open in summer) is outa sight!

:groovy

My riding in the many Grand Tours I do has had me in most of the towns mentioned and many more. One tour was the BFE tour ( you can figure out what it stands for) with the objective to visit and document with photo towns with population less than 300.

This photo is photo for Monowi, NE...population 1, and this is her.

Another Grand Tour was an AMA tour of the smallest city in each state ( according to the AMA).

Currently doing the See the USA Grand Tour (towns that start with a U-S or A )with the requirement you can't use the town limit sign or post office. So one has to ride into the town and look around. Quite often the only building in the town is the lone church for the small community. Love doing these rides and seeing small town America...it's how I usually finish pretty high in the MOA mileage contest;)

JEF
Cincinnati, OH

Attachments

• DSC06972[1].JPG
    DSC06972[1].JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 130
Back