• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What small town have you discovered while on the road?

jaxthedog

jaxthedog
More seasoned travelers than I know that it's a journey - not simply a destination. Too frequently, I find myself whizzing past a small town. On a recent road trip (in a rental car, unfortunately) we did stop quite frequently. I learned I've got to get off that bike and find the story - or at least the bakery - in some of the towns I might otherwise just hurry through.

One example is Buena Vista, Colorado, where we enjoyed a little police action:

http://thechurchoftheopenroad.blogspot.com/2012/07/in-hot-pursuit-buena-vista-colorado.html

The other is Gunnison where we visited a museum that probably deserved more than the half day we spent at it:

http://thechurchoftheopenroad.blogspot.com/2012/07/searching-for-cinnamon-roll-v5-gunnison.html

So what towns have you run across that you're glad you didn't miss while on the road?

I and my friends stopped and spent a night at The Sedgwick B&B in Sedgwick, CO. on the way to the RA Rally in Copper Mountain. Very cool. A B&B and a tavern/liqour store across the street. That should be all anyone needs, don't you think?

I'm a big believer in small business and in immigrants and my latest pasion is Mexican food restaurants in small towns.

Very good ones in

Rocky Ford, CO
Sterling, CO
Clinton, OK
Hinton, OK

I really like Downieville CA and Telluride, but it's too trendy. Too snobby. A number of the other small towns, south of Telluride, Colorado.
On my trip to Cabo San Lucas, let me see, Mulege was nice, and also Catavina, which is not really a town at all.
Just a place where there is a super hotel and just about nothing else.
But I just liked it.
dc

Roy New Mexico with the Canadian River Canyon just west of there on my way to the Bavarian Mtn. Rally in Sipapu. kinda like a little Palo Dura!

Flippin Arkansas. Made a point to go through the town just because of the name, then found a fantastic little place very little!!) selling hot dogs! Just hot dogs, but all kinds and all kinds of toppings. They were fantastic.

Valentine, Nebraska on our way to the Gillette rally, I think. With a name like that we just had to spend the night!

3 of us did a loop from Louisville through Tenn., N. Carolina, West Virginia and Virginia.

As we are travelling through West Virginia we come up to a town called Welch. We ride in and noticed that there wasn't a soul in this town and it was the middle of the day. The place just had an erie vibe about it. We made a left turn into the center of the town and there was the every person that lived in the town having a hootenany in the town square. They all stopped what they were doing and just stared at us.

Let's just say that we looked at each other and very calmly made our way back to the main road and scooted on out.

To this day we wonder if they wanted to hang out with us or cook us for BBQ!

Torrey, UT

GREAT roads all around, and this very small town has A-1 camping, mom-and-pop motels (and chains, too), espresso, gasoline, and friendly people. Perfect place for base-camp and soooo many fine day-trips. Highway 12 is one of the "top-10" roads in the west -- perfect surface, fantastic views, aspen groves, and high-speed sweepers. Never seen a Smokey.

Watch out for cloven-hoofed creatures at dusk, and - really, don't ride at night because of this reason.

Walking Eagle

DSCN1523.JPG

My home town

I start a quest of finding 'Otsego' in all the different states. In Michigan there is a county, city, and township all Otsego, and the county is 100 miles away from the city or township.

So I was down in southern Ohio and stopped at Otsego, OH, 4 corners, not a thing more. I understand there is an Otsego in the North part of Ohio too. So I plan on going to all the Otsego's I can find. I always thought this obscure name could only be on one area, but nope all over the Midwest.

Great idea. My dad was born in in Springfield in 1918. There are 50 of 'em dotted across the United States. I think you've just provided me with the greatest "bucket list" addition ever.

Thanks.:brad

Flippin Arkansas. Made a point to go through the town just because of the name, then found a fantastic little place very little!!) selling hot dogs! Just hot dogs, but all kinds and all kinds of toppings. They were fantastic.

Been there...done that! Interesting spot...:dance

Attachments

• Flippin.jpg
    Flippin.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 251
I found a little town in northern Indiana one summer when out riding. The problem now is can't remember where it was how I got there or the name of the town. I was getting very low on gas and was so happy to see a town, when I pulled in to main drag there was a huge festival going on all over town, rides and all. Had to stop for some great fair type food. Would love to go back for that festival but don't know where and when it is.
Funny thing is the only gas station was closed and had to keep limping on till the next town ten miles down road. Was one of my most memorable rides ever. (ironic huh)
These are the type days and places why I love riding back roads just heading a direction and not a destination.

Back