• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What small town have you discovered while on the road?

More small towns

This is another example from last week's ride.

Saxonburg, PA pop of around 1500. Was looking for something else in the town, when I stopped to ask a local. He said I should see their John A Roebling park.

John A Roebling, like in the the design engineer for he Brooklyn Bridge and my own Roebling Suspension bridge here in Cincinnati. ( along with many other bridges using the cable he designed and mfgd ).

IMG_3275.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

JEF...with many other stories of small towns I have been to.

Madrid, NM, they were having this great chili contest, but the then the Del Fuego's showed up and ruined everything.........

I have found a lot of interesting towns, but like Christopher Columbus, I really didn't "discover" them, there were found and inhabited by my own versions of natives, that were visited by Leif Ericssons and Eric the reds long before I got there:thumb

Gay Michigan ,almost got my butt kicked trying to take a picture of a bunch of Harleys at the only Bar in town,"The Gay Bar ":waveThis was on the way home from the RA national few years back. What a hoot!

I keep kicking myself for not stopping and getting a picture of the "Gay Bar" sign.

For a while, when I was a kid I lived in Havana WV, it is not a town it is just a place on a remote road, there is not even a sign.

There were two school bus drivers that lived on the road. Their real names were Columbus that drove kids to Ramage grade school & Franklin that drove kids to Scott High School.

Later my family moved to Columbus Ohio in Franklin county. (For this reason I never drive my Lincoln to Ford Theater)

I now live (close to) Sparta OH......20 miles south of Mid-Ohio. There is a stop sign and a post office.

Lleland, WI

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lleland, Wisconsin, destination point for the Slimey Crud Ride. Nothin' there on the first Sunday in May and the first Sunday in October every year except 10 or 12 houses, a dried up pond, two taverns...and a whole s**t load of motorcycles of every brand and description.

3 of us did a loop from Louisville through Tenn., N. Carolina, West Virginia and Virginia.

As we are travelling through West Virginia we come up to a town called Welch. We ride in and noticed that there wasn't a soul in this town and it was the middle of the day. The place just had an erie vibe about it. We made a left turn into the center of the town and there was the every person that lived in the town having a hootenany in the town square. They all stopped what they were doing and just stared at us.

Let's just say that we looked at each other and very calmly made our way back to the main road and scooted on out.

To this day we wonder if they wanted to hang out with us or cook us for BBQ!

Too bad you left, you would have met some of the nicest people you could imagine.

I stumbled across Christmas, Michigan when heading towards Pictured Rocks. Interesting place.

Some time later, I was watching TV when the guy we were talking to in the town was being featured on the show. He was the local "Santa".
We never realized we were talking to someone "famous"... :laugh

small town names

How about Humptulips, Wa.? (U.S. 101, Olympic Peninsula) I once lived in Acme, Wa.; not the home of 'Acme explosives' that's in Walla Walla, wa.

How about Humptulips, Wa.? (U.S. 101, Olympic Peninsula) I once lived in Acme, Wa.; not the home of 'Acme explosives' that's in Walla Walla, wa.

Humptulips,WA. is on the west side of the peninsula. On the east side is Lilliwaup,WA. Acme is east of Bellingham, WA.

Ah, that's why Wile E. Coyote pays so much for shipping his anvils and rockets.... :bolt

Back