• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What have you done to your Wethead today?

Ok. So this is something to protect the electrical connections primarily? These bikes will get dirty, I'm of the mind set that you should be riding and not taking up you time to keep them clean. I thought this was a product to spray on that would help to clean it with a good hose spraying. Silly me for thinking there was such a product. "Lets just ride":dance

Yesterday I had the 600 mi service completed; today I finalized the aiming of the Erica's transferred from my K16:

IMG_0851_zps5scs4qus.jpg

550e8192-378f-4c27-95ea-5b49ae3e5703_zpseie9qn6j.jpg

Using the CANopener 3 to control the Ericas also provides other benefits: it will drive the OE trunk brake light as both a running light and a brake light, with multiple brake light flashing pattern choices, and powers an add-on horn while leaving the OE horn in place. A strange, attention-getting sound from the combination of the FIAMMs and the OE horn going off together.

Yesterday I had the 600 mi service completed; today I finalized the aiming of the Erica's transferred from my K16:

Using the CANopener 3 to control the Ericas also provides other benefits: it will drive the OE trunk brake light as both a running light and a brake light, with multiple brake light flashing pattern choices, and powers an add-on horn while leaving the OE horn in place. A strange, attention-getting sound from the combination of the FIAMMs and the OE horn going off together.

That'll wake 'em up and get their attention! LOL :thumb

Air Horn Model

Jim, what model air horn did you install? I have a brand spanking new RT and don't want to have the cartoon character horn sound any longer than neccessary!

Bar end mirrors affect heated grips?

I want to put bar end mirrors on my 2015 R 1200 R. This means installing about a half inch spacer between the end of the handlebar and the bar end to accommodate the mirror bracket. Will this cause any issues with the heated grips, or anything else for that matter?

IMG_0851_zps5scs4qus.jpg

550e8192-378f-4c27-95ea-5b49ae3e5703_zpseie9qn6j.jpg

Do you have some tips on which wire connected to and how you set up the can opener. Which version firmware can opener do you have?

Do you have some tips on which wire connected to and how you set up the can opener. Which version firmware can opener do you have?
I'm not sure about the firmware level (not near the bike at the moment to see whether there's a label). I purchased my CANopener3 unit in March, so it is at least relatively current.

For the brake light, I tapped the brake light wire at the tail light assembly connector, under the rear cowl. To get the CANopener to control the trunk brake light, you have to cut the bike's trunk brake light wire -- on the bike side of the barrel connector -- and connect the CANopener's brake light output to the wire going to the trunk. Insulate the bike-end of the bike's trunk brake light wire as a precaution to prevent shorting to ground.

I did not try to take power from the tail light wire, as that is guaranteed to fault and shutdown the tail light.

An auxiliary fusebox (Eastern Beaver) supplies switched 12V power and ground to/from the CANopener.

The CANopener horn output controls a relay to operate the extra FIAMM horns. The stock horn is untouched, as the CANopener monitors the Canbus listening for the "horn activate" message, so there's no need to hack the stock horn's harness. When I hit the horn button, the CANopener, reading the Canbus, actually triggers the FIAMMs a fraction of a second faster than the bike triggers the stock horn.

That's all that comes to mind. I did not use the switched power output or the aux light output (for additional lighting beyond the Clearwater lights directly connected to the CANopener).

Happy to answer more Qs when I have access to the bike this evening.

Stock Headlight:
IMG_0045.jpg

Kit and tools, SW Motech LED Headlight Protector:
IMG_0046.jpg

Assemble shield to brackets first:
IMG_0047.jpg

Finished protector in place:
IMG_0048.jpg

A bit fiddly to install, but looks good and should protect the LED headlight well.

Harry

Found out my bags connection tank bag from my 2010 RT works just fine on 2015 RT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Added Suburban Machinery footage lowering blocks, Illium Bar backs and a VStream windscreen. Very happy with all the mods.

I picked up the BMW tall seat for my 2015 R1200GS today. It's nice! Glad I brought a bungee net with me to haul the old standard seat home.

Harry

Comms up and running

I hooked the new Nav V to my computer. At first, the Garmin software did not recognize it. I realized that the Garmin software itself needed to be upgraded! Once I did that, it immediately recognized the Nav V and updated the software and maps. After that, I hooked up my SENA SFH5-FM to the computer and updated the firmware on that device. I got those two to communicate on the first try, and tried it out on the bike. It works! I added a favorite, selected it, and got voice directions, so I'm good to go.

Harry

I hooked the new Nav V to my computer. At first, the Garmin software did not recognize it. I realized that the Garmin software itself needed to be upgraded! Once I did that, it immediately recognized the Nav V and updated the software and maps. After that, I hooked up my SENA SFH5-FM to the computer and updated the firmware on that device. I got those two to communicate on the first try, and tried it out on the bike. It works! I added a favorite, selected it, and got voice directions, so I'm good to go.

Harry

So nice when the all the technology comes together and works for you. But when it doesn't.....not so much! lol

I signed the papers and brought her home! Rode about 62 miles home and loving this bike....hadn't ridden a block and was happy I got the Nav5 and all the Premium Package stuff. I had to haul my flight bag home hence the less than glamorous luggage.

Now if my July schedule will allow me, I'll be heading for Billings and the Rally!

Day 2 of ownership and

received an early Father's Day gift, a GS tank bag. Love the mounting system on this bag and just big enough for what I need.

Billie Light/ vs Skene?

If you have the CANopener, installing the Billie brake light is a breeze. Like 10 to 15 minutes total breeze.

Mount it with the license plate hardware, feed the wire into the tail of the Bike next to the CANopener. Connect two wires with provided posilocks.

Done.

I have had Skene P3's on all my previous bikes, but I'm considering the Billie for my 2015.

However, I can't tell exactly what it does... Does it flicker? Does it have different brightness? Does it only function with the brakes applied?

Thanks.

Back