• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What happened to my old bike?

ride1265

Since buying my used 2013 RT my Indian Vintage has been parked. I decided to go for a ride on it yesterday first time in months. OMG it felt so big, heavy and klunky. What happened while my Vintage was parked? Did it overeat and put on weight? I used to love this bike until riding the RT. What a revolting development...

Since buying my used 2013 RT my Indian Vintage has been parked. I decided to go for a ride on it yesterday first time in months. OMG it felt so big, heavy and klunky. What happened while my Vintage was parked? Did it overeat and put on weight? I used to love this bike until riding the RT. What a revolting development...

Yes, the same thing that would happen to you if you sat around a long time. Park the RT and ride the Indian. After a while it will lose the weight and become more nimble. Stay away from bad influences. I speak from experience. My '18 RT has kinda soured me on the heavyweights.
\

As Henny Youngman answered when asked how his wife was....."Compared to what ?" I went to my R1150R from a Kawasaki KLR 650. I still seems heavy after 5 years.

RT v GSA

I took my 2014 RT for a ride yesterday, after sitting idle for more than a month since buying a 2021 GSA.

Seemed much smaller (I know it’s not as tall), though it was nice to be able to just swing my leg over to mount, rather than step on the GSA’s peg. And, I didn’t even bother to mount my phone, so I felt old-school with just my analog (more or less) instrumentation.

I could really sense the height profile difference in some simple twisties on Road 5 GTs, though the GSA does just fine in that world on its TMMs. I suppose where I really noted the difference (besides the wind) was on rough back roads; the GSA is a much smoother ride than the RT which often felt jarring, even on soft setting. Arriving home I was reminded how much easier the RT is to put up on its center stand.

Just before my ride I put the RT on Craigslist, so I’ve pretty much decided to live with only the GSA, but I will miss it… it’s been a joy to get back into riding on such a great machine.

I had a 1600 Nomad before my 2009 RT. Huge weight difference. The RT is better in all aspects but one: Cross winds. I get moved around a lot on the RT if the wind is strong.

Prior to January 2022, my 88 R100 RT had plenty of get up and go. In January, I got a 2018 R1200 GS, and the RT was parked for about two months. When I took it out for ride, it seemed to have lost some of its get up and go. I'm trying to figure out what happened in those two months. :scratch It certainly takes a little getting used to riding the RT after riding the GS with about twice the horsepower. However, it was still loads fun going around the corners.

Prior to January 2022, my 88 R100 RT had plenty of get up and go. In January, I got a 2018 R1200 GS, and the RT was parked for about two months. When I took it out for ride, it seemed to have lost some of its get up and go. I'm trying to figure out what happened in those two months. :scratch It certainly takes a little getting used to riding the RT after riding the GS with about twice the horsepower. However, it was still loads fun going around the corners.

I sold the R100GS I rode to Tuktoyaktuk when the road first opened years ago. This year I spent 5wks in South America on my 2018 R1200GS. There were times in SA I was really wishing I had the R100GS, mostly because of less weight and it’s very featherable dry clutch…

Best,
DeVern

Back