• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What does the looming ICE ban mean for BMW motorcycles?

I don't think most can go without the available back up provided by gas at the street and public electricity at the meter. I'm pretty sure a metering system is necessary if there are connections to the grid.

Federal funding? Tax credits? If this is the only way this deal is cost effective, the government supporting homeowners projects, I would like to see the actual cost analysis numbers.

Hopefully he gets squared away with PG&E.

As for the 30K investment, that figure is about 23 years of my utility bill. ;)

Hope it works out- long term.

OM

How is that reality in Mass? I lived there for 25 years and even in our little dinky house 25 years ago we spent more than that on utilities - especially when the oil man came to fill the tank. Ouch. I'm not saying you're not being truthful, but that sure wasn't my experience up in Billerica, Acton or Lynn.

For the numbers, go read up on the IRA. It's already cash positive and has reduced the debt by a few hundred million dollars already. We can see all the facilities and investment it's providing. Ford is building a new auto assembly plant in Michigan for the first time in 30 years. Battery manufacturing is being brought on shore. It's already changing our energy economy and is bringing manufacturing back on shore. That's part of the IRA - a coordinated attempt to transform not only our energy use, but our economy as we bring decent middle class jobs back from overseas.

Here's my approach in here. There are lots of posts being made and not all of them reflect reality; like not even close. And that's what I'm pushing back on.

What if you could power your car off your roof, you never had a blackout during an ice storm and if the price of oil went up, it wouldn't make a bit of difference in your life? That's where I think we're headed.

I hope that's helpful.

Without dreamers, there could be no dreams.

Until the logistics are worked out, the dreams will not become reality.

I like the roof idea, a lot.

Social inertia is hard to overcome, and profit-driven infrastructure has it's very own brand.

Let the dreamers dream, and recognize the wisdom of the realist as well.

It's not a one-sided coin.

Without dreamers, there could be no dreams.

Until the logistics are worked out, the dreams will not become reality.

I like the roof idea, a lot.

Social inertia is hard to overcome, and profit-driven infrastructure has it's very own brand.

Let the dreamers dream, and recognize the wisdom of the realist as well.

It's not a one-sided coin.

Can't wait until the "Like" button shows up on this forum.

That'd be great. All in. Fission leaves a hell of a mess behind.

But I'd rather not pay people for my electricity, so I'm gonna make it on my roof or out in the backyard. PG&E is happy to send me a bill every month for the price of a new bike payment for gas and electricity.

If you can make your own power for way less, why would you buy power at all? In 5 years, it'll be paid for and I've got, at minimum, 15 years of literally free electricity generation.

So, sure. Fission for folks that can't generate their own. But for anyone with a roof, make your own and never pay a gas or electric bill again.

@kbasa Dave, I wonder if you might answer these questions for me?

A) What is the average cost (from PG&E) for a kWh of electricity to your home?
B) In the 5 year period - how many kWh of electricity have you generated from your roof-mounted panel(s)?
C) What was the approximate total installed cost for your panel(s) (assuming no incentives)?
D) How much of the purchase cost was offset by rebates/government incentives (et al)?

Thanks for any info, just looking at the ROI period you have there.

Ride safe -
Larry

Last edited:
Why would you say that?

I had said:
"There should also be a rule that if a mod participates in a thread as a member then that mod is precluded from acting as a mod in that thread."

Here is what ChatGPT has to say.

"Should an internet forum moderator sanction thread participants where the moderator himself has been a participant?"

"As a general rule, it is generally best for an internet forum moderator to avoid imposing sanctions on thread participants where the moderator has also been a participant. This is because the moderator's involvement in the thread may create the perception of bias or favoritism, which can undermine the credibility and effectiveness of the moderator.

If a moderator finds that they have become too involved in a thread and are unable to remain objective, they should consider stepping back and allowing another moderator to handle any necessary sanctions. Alternatively, the moderator may need to recuse themselves from the thread and allow another moderator to handle the situation.

It is important for moderators to be transparent and accountable in their actions, and to avoid any actions that may be perceived as biased or unfair. By following these principles, moderators can help to maintain trust and confidence in the moderation team and ensure that the forum is a fair and welcoming place for all users."

You seriously need to take a break.
As moderators, we can’t tune you out as many have chosen to do as reading it all comes with volunteering.
I would do this in a PM , however more wasting of my time to entertain you.

Once again we get the issue. The answers provided. Flood Germany with your concerns and not inserting it in so many non related threads please.

There… transparency

I had said:
"There should also be a rule that if a mod participates in a thread as a member then that mod is precluded from acting as a mod in that thread."

Here is what ChatGPT has to say.

"Should an internet forum moderator sanction thread participants where the moderator himself has been a participant?"

"As a general rule, it is generally best for an internet forum moderator to avoid imposing sanctions on thread participants where the moderator has also been a participant. This is because the moderator's involvement in the thread may create the perception of bias or favoritism, which can undermine the credibility and effectiveness of the moderator.

If a moderator finds that they have become too involved in a thread and are unable to remain objective, they should consider stepping back and allowing another moderator to handle any necessary sanctions. Alternatively, the moderator may need to recuse themselves from the thread and allow another moderator to handle the situation.

It is important for moderators to be transparent and accountable in their actions, and to avoid any actions that may be perceived as biased or unfair. By following these principles, moderators can help to maintain trust and confidence in the moderation team and ensure that the forum is a fair and welcoming place for all users."

Data mining for more places like ChatGPT that happened to agree with your rants is tiring and above all- not necessary. EVERYONE has heard you. They don’t seem to mind it on the other forum(s) you continue to rant on so PLEASE give it a rest on the MOA forum.
OM

I’ve been reading about the upcoming ban on internal combustion engines across much of Europe and many US states. 2030 isn’t that far away, but if the ban also applies to motorcycles it will mean a huge change for manufacturers like BMW. City scooter runabouts and e-bicycles are one thing, but long range highway motorcycles are quite another. It’s hard for me to imagine a battery powered touring bike that compares with currently available models. Is it possible there simply won’t be any after 2030?

Given their existing customer base, I think the reality is going to be difficult for BMW to deal with. Do the new laws allow for exemptions like trucks, trains, construction, farming, or recreational vehicles?

I will wait till we get hydrogen powered motorcycles.

Back