• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What causes a speedometer to do this on R1100S?

Tach needle doesn't move?

It looks like the tach needle isn't moving when you open and close the throttle to make the speedo do its dance. I would guess something is crossed up in your instrument cluster, any chance you had recent repairs or work done around it?

No recent repairs. Although the tac doesn't move a lot in the video, it seems to work fine. Especially in lower gears, it uses the full range of the gauge fluidly with out jumping or hesitating.

Last edited:
Your speedo looks like its acting as a vacuum gauge. I haven't the foggiest idea what the issue is but I'd dig in and make sure that all wiring is as it should be.

The speed sensor on the R1100s is on the rear drive housing, directly behind the brake caliper. If the bike has ABS there will be two sensors on the rear housing, you want to look at the rear most sensor, the front sensor is for the ABS.

If you had a recent rear wheel change a couple of things to check, make sure the steel spacer was put in between the wheel hub & rear drive housing. If this is removed and the bike has ABS you will likely have to adjust the ABS sensor spacing to the ABS ring, it doesn't seem to affect the speed sensor the same way but who knows. It is also possible that the speed sensor got bumped or has come loose. Have a look and see if everything looks OK. This is an electronic signal to the speedo.

The speed sensor on the R1100s is on the rear drive housing, directly behind the brake caliper. If the bike has ABS there will be two sensors on the rear housing, you want to look at the rear most sensor, the front sensor is for the ABS.

Depends on the year. My 1100S has one speed sensor on the rear hub and one on the front. It has the EVO ABS.

My 2001 11S drives off the rear wheel, there is a ring in the final drive that has a gap that sends the signal. It can jump out of its groove. If your pinky is small enough you can push it back in. It will also cause your odometer to not work. It seemed like none of dealers knew what I was talking about. It seems like BMW has a different speedo set up for every year of the Oilheads.

Back