• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are the shop rates???

pglaves

Question: For people with recent service from BMW dealerships or independent shops; what are the HOURLY shop rates.

The rate is critical. The name of the shop is important but not critical.

Question: For people with recent service from BMW dealerships or independent shops; what are the HOURLY shop rates.

I think the location is critical as well. The cost of living varies greatly across the 50 states and Canada for that matter.

Shop rates is one thing, but it's how they bill it out and the work the is done that counts in the end. One shop can work on a problem for hours and get no were. Another shop can luck out and fine the problem in no time. Who is the better shop. As far as for common service it all depends on their overhead and who wants to make money. If they work flat rate how many shorts cuts are there taking. I just talk to one guy that gets paid $25 an hour and ends up take home on the average $ 4000 to 5000 a week. I'm not saying he does bad work, but would you want him working on your bike. You can go round and round on this all I can say I the end you have to find someone that you are happy with.

Recent

My recent problems with my BMW car took me to an independent shop nearby. Their rates are as follow. $175 regular shop rate. $199 if you supply the parts. $225 for exotic cars. My local garage is $125. As for the BMW car delaler, I am not sure, I could never get anyone to answer the phone to make an appointment.

My local airhead shop charges $80.

My shop rate is $80 if you do the work. $100 if I have to help. $125 if I do the work. $200 if I do the work and you watch. LOL, this was put up on my wall to discourage a pair of neighbors who beat their cars and were too cheap to go up the street to the local garage. St.

Do you know the current rate at Kansas City?
Late 2021 it was $120/hour.

Fort Wayne shop that has Royal Enfield, Triumph and does a lot of Harley work, $150.00 an hour. However they’ll work on anything with good results.

Shop rates is one thing, but it's how they bill it out and the work the is done that counts in the end. One shop can work on a problem for hours and get no were. Another shop can luck out and fine the problem in no time. Who is the better shop. As far as for common service it all depends on their overhead and who wants to make money. If they work flat rate how many shorts cuts are there taking. I just talk to one guy that gets paid $25 an hour and ends up take home on the average $ 4000 to 5000 a week. I'm not saying he does bad work, but would you want him working on your bike. You can go round and round on this all I can say I the end you have to find someone that you are happy with.

Wow! $200,000 to $250,000 a year for wrenching. Did he use to be an M.D. but then saw the light?

The math doesn't add up to me.
If you worked 10 hr days at 25, thats 250 per day. times 6 is 1500.
How do you end up with 4-5 thousand a week?

Ask any lawyer about billable vs actual hours.
If you can do a 4 hour flat rate job in 1 hour, you get paid for the 4 hours it was supposed to take.

Wow! $200,000 to $250,000 a year for wrenching. Did he use to be an M.D. but then saw the light?

Even bigger Wow, he's working 200 hour work weeks if being paqid $25 an hour. Something is fishy with the math being quoted here.
(Not Motodan, but the guy who posted those rates.)

I think Paul was looking for real, first person accounts of someone who actually paid a bill and can completely verify what the shop rate is at the dealership they personally had work done at.

OM

It billable hours, not clock hours.
If you can do a flat rate one hour job in 45 minutes, you get one hour of pay.
I know techs that can bill 12 to 15 hours worth of work in one eight hour day.
Of course any come backs were not paid to the tech as he already was paid for for task.
I was on the other end of the scale. I would take an hour and 15 mins to do a one hour job.
And I got paid less than they did. I was ok with that.

Back