• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Weird Tire Wear Michelin 5GT

sdrdb9

Recent new front Michelin road 5GT on the front of my 2016 RT. Immediately noticed a mild but consistent high speed weave. Starts at 70 ish mph. After 300 miles there is a noticeable thin wear line all the way around the front tire about 1/2” to left of centre looking at the bike. The line is about 1/16” to 1/8” wide and can be felt with a finger. Any one else had this?

Welcome to the forum.
If you think the line will shown in a picture could you post a picture?
To attach a picture use the little square icon with a tree in it.

I've had a similar line before but I don't remember being able to feel it with my finger.
Maybe loosen everything, bounce the front end to make sure the forks align properly and torque everything.

Front Tire Replacement (2).jpg

Yep, tried the loosening, removed axle rod, bouncing forks and retorquing. It had no effect. I played with tire pressure and suspension settings. Higher pressure, stiffer suspension made for less weave but still noticeable. Checked bearings etc for play but did not see anything wrong there. Previously I had a GT4 on front and rear with no issues. I had to put a new GT5 on the rear due to a puncture. After a few weeks I had the dealer put a GT5 on the front to match the rear. As soon as the GT5 went on, the weave started up. Initially I thought it was wind effect as the 300 miles trip I took was pretty windy. This week I took the top and side cases off and test rode in calm weather. Still had weaving. After that is when I noticed the line. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.

I don’t have the line but I can say the GT5 is a disappointing tire compared to previous generations in most aspects IMHO.

I don’t have the line but I can say the GT5 is a disappointing tire compared to previous generations in most aspects IMHO.

Mine make humming sounds on straight line roads. It goes away when I lean left or right. I think I'll go back to PR4 GT's.

Many modern tread compounds use lots of non-conductive silica to resist wear. So for years, Michelin (and others) have added a thin strip of conductive carbon to dissipate static. That's the thin black line running around the tire. It has no effect on handling.

Yep, tried the loosening, removed axle rod, bouncing forks and retorquing. It had no effect. I played with tire pressure and suspension settings. Higher pressure, stiffer suspension made for less weave but still noticeable. Checked bearings etc for play but did not see anything wrong there. Previously I had a GT4 on front and rear with no issues. I had to put a new GT5 on the rear due to a puncture. After a few weeks I had the dealer put a GT5 on the front to match the rear. As soon as the GT5 went on, the weave started up. Initially I thought it was wind effect as the 300 miles trip I took was pretty windy. This week I took the top and side cases off and test rode in calm weather. Still had weaving. After that is when I noticed the line. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.

Maybe you have a bad tire. Try contacting Michelin and explain your problem.

Update as of 11/26. Dealer found no issues mechanically or with tire balance. Advises the handing is "normal". I have requested they replace the Michelins with new Dunlop Roadsmart IV front and back and will see if the "normal" high speed weave is still there with the Dunlops. Won't get the bike back until Tuesday.

Update as of 11/26. Dealer found no issues mechanically or with tire balance. Advises the handing is "normal". I have requested they replace the Michelins with new Dunlop Roadsmart IV front and back and will see if the "normal" high speed weave is still there with the Dunlops. Won't get the bike back until Tuesday.

Let us know how you like them. Might be my next choice as well.

I took the PR5's off the RT at 3500 miles. Stuck like glued to the road and great in the rain, but they didn't feel right to me and they were wearing far too quickly. I did th research and decided RS4's were in order. Couldn't be happier with them on both the 11RT and 16RS. The RT's are at 5500 miles, no cupping on the front with 4/32 and 5+/32 left [ started out at 5/32 and 9/32 ]. I expect 9K out of both before they're 2/32. They also stick like glue and are as good in the rain as the PR5's.

Until they make a better heavy bike touring tire that wears as well along with gripping the road superbly, I'll stick with the Dunlop RS4's. I'm sold on these tires at the moment.

Final update. New RS IV installed front and rear. No more high speed weave. Will be sending the 5GT back to Michelin.

Back