• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Washington Cascades Loop plus some

kwillsey

Day 1

day1map1.jpg

Saturday morning my daughter Sarah and I took the MSF Experienced RidersÔÇÖ Course. Since I've just switched from a cruiser to the RT and since Sarah has started riding with me most of the time, I figured I could definitely take advantage of the practice. It was a good class, I learned a few things and I found some things I need to practice some more. I did each exercise alone a couple times, then had Sarah hop on and did them again with her on the back. It was definitely worth the time and the money, even if it did mean getting up at 6:00 and riding all the way down to Tacoma.

After the class we rode back home, grabbed some lunch, packed our gear on the bike and headed back out. I only had 600 miles on the bike, so I wanted to get it out for a decent shake-down, and Sarah had never been on a multi-day ride, so this weekend was our chance to do both. Because I wasn't sure how Sarah would do sitting back there for hours at a time, we broke the trip up into 3 days instead of 2.

Heading out from home (in Redmond) we took the back-roads, of course, up to Monroe, then followed Hwy 2 east across Stevens Pass. Stopped in Leavenworth ÔÇô our local ÔÇ£BavarianÔÇØ town ÔÇô for bathroom and some coffee.

leavenworth01.jpg

From Leavenworth we continued on Hwy 2 to Wenatchee. Hwy 2 is a nice ride forests, mountains, rivers, etc. We took our time and enjoyed the scenery (which had nothing to do with being worn out from getting up at 6:00 and then doing the 5 hour riding class). We lucked out in Wenatchee and got the last room in the hotel, and from the sound of things it was one of the last rooms in Wenatchee. Took a stroll to find dinner, then called it a night. Mileage for the day: about 240 miles, not counting the range time at the riding class.

Day 2

day2map.jpg

Sunday morning we stuffed ourselves on the free breakfast at the hotel, gassed up the bike, and headed north on Hwy 97 Alt. Alt because a semi ran off the bridge between Chelan Falls and Chelan, damaging the bridge, so that route was closed. The stretch up through Entiat to Chelan was a definite change from the forests of Hwy 2, with rocky bluffs and sage brush on both sides of the road. Sarah spotted a couple bighorn sheep up in the rocks. I think Lake Chelan was pretty, but Im not sure there were way too many other tourists on the road once we got to the lake, so I couldnt do much sight-seeing.

hwy97_01.jpg

We continued along 97 up through Okanogan, Omak, and Tonasket all the way to Oroville, where we were apparently so close to Canada that AT&T couldnÔÇÖt tell the difference. While we were getting lunch and gassing up the bike I received a text message from AT&T informing me that I had entered an international roaming area and super expensive data rates were in effect. Yay.

Out of habit, I gassed up the bike whenever we stopped somewhere for food or bathroom, but one thing I noticed on this trip was the huge difference between the 140 mile range of the old bike and the 300 mile range of the new bike. It was the difference between stopping at every town because thereÔÇÖs no telling how far the next gas station is and just riding knowing IÔÇÖd need a stop long before the gas tank would. It definitely made heading off into the unknown a lot more comfortable.

From Oroville we headed east on county roads to Molson. According to our Ghost Towns of the Pacific Northwest book, Molson is the best ghost town in central Washington. It was actually more like two ghost towns part of it dated from the early 1900s, the other part looked like it died sometime in the 50s or 60s. There are apparently still 35 people that havent realized it is a ghost town, though Im not sure exactly what they do in Molson.

Apparently Molson was quite the trading hub in the early 1900ÔÇÖs, serving all of north-central Washington as well as south-central BC. Once the mines petered out and the railroad left, the town died.

Theres a museum in what used to be the schoolhouse, but the down-side of traveling on a holiday weekend is that things like museums arent open. From the outside it looked like an old schoolhouse.

molson01.jpg

molson02.jpg

molson03.jpg

molson04.jpg

molson05.jpg

In that last photo, notice the ÔÇ£shingle millÔÇØ on the left. From the size of it I think they could probably only handle one shingle at a time.

From Molson we headed east to Curlew, via Chesaw and Toroda. Right outside Molson is a sign pointing to the left that says ÔÇ£Chesaw - 5 milesÔÇØ. What it didnÔÇÖt say was that it was 5 miles of hilly gravel road. The road was actually in really good condition, as gravel roads go, but touring bikes with highway tires arenÔÇÖt made for gravel roads, so it was a rather nervous 5 miles on a rather squirrely bike. Once we got past the gravel, though, the roads were absolutely awesome. Two-lane twisties, winding past farms/ranches and through the forest, and apparently nobody else in north-central Washington was driving that day. I could easily see spending a couple days just in that area exploring those county roads.

curlew01.jpg

Despite what the book says, Curlew didnÔÇÖt really look like much of a ghost town. ThereÔÇÖs a hotel that was built in 1906 (now containing a museum which was, of course, closed), but around it is what looks like pretty much any small farm town. The hotel does have pressed tin siding. DonÔÇÖt know why, but the pressed tin siding always looks neat to me.

curlew02.jpg

From Curlew we back-tracked a ways, which I really didnÔÇÖt mind because those empty, twisty roads were so much fun! We did have to pause along the way for this very important state park:

curlew031.jpg

We continued along county road number something-or-other until we hit county road number something-else, and headed south.

curlew04.jpg

County road number something-else was supposed to run right past Bodie, according to the ghost towns book. It actually runs right through Bodie, and going through Bodie takes so little time that we missed it and had to turn around and go back. Bodie is a proper ghost town, in that there arenÔÇÖt any silly living people hanging on and pretending to live there. Bodie was founded in 1896 on Bodie Creek, then picked up and moved a mile north to where gold was found. Several mines were worked in the area until about 1940, then the mines, and the town, died. Random factoid: one of the mines was owned by the Wrigley brothers of chewing gum fame.

bodie01.jpg

bodie03.jpg

bodie021.jpg

From Bodie we continued south through Wauconda, still enjoying the blue skies, warm sun, and totally deserted twisties. Until we got about halfway between Wauconda and Tonasket, when the skies suddenly turned black, lighting started flashing all around us, the wind came up and started blowing us around, and the rain started pouring. We made it to Tonasket and took shelter in the first gas station we saw, along with a couple other bikers. They had just come east through Winthrop, and assured us that the weather there was absolutely horrible and that the town was full of tourists and none of the motels had vacancies.

Hah! Once the rain stopped, we headed on west to Winthrop, where the weather was beautiful and the first motel we stopped at had a room for us. And there was a great pizza joint just a short walk down the road.

winthrop01.jpg

winthrop02.jpg

Total mileage for the day: about 360

Day 3

day3map.jpg

The free continental breakfast in the lobby looked like it was worth about what they were charging, so we decided to head out and find breakfast along the way. There was a little more traffic on the road, but not too bad, and it was still beautiful scenery and very, very nice twisty roads. Well except for a couple stretches of fresh chip seal. But the rest of the road made up for those. The passes along the road were appropriately named when we went over Washington Pass we determined that we were, in fact, in Washington, and when we hit Rainy Pass it was definitely raining.

We followed Hwy 20 to Rockport, but the rain was still falling on us and Sarah was starting to get cold, so instead of continuing on out to Sedro Wooley, we turned south down 530 to Arlington, then Hwy 9 to Hwy 522 to Hwy 202 to home.

Total mileage for the day: about 190 miles.

ÔÇÿTwas a good ride. Forests, lakes, waterfalls, high desert, farm land, and lots and lots of twisties.

Very Nice. Thank you. I recall riding through Levenworth last fall. I rode accross norther USA on Rt 20 from Minn. to Seattle. Washington has some beautiful sights.

Back