• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

warrantys and pulling trailers

You cannot void a warranty. If you make a modification to the machine and that modification causes a failure, you cannot resonably expect the manufacturer to make the repair under the terms of the warranty.

With that said, it will also depend on the attitude of the dealer and/or factory representitive when making this type of determination.

A few years ago, if you had a trailer hitch on the back of your K1200LT and had a final drive failure, BMW would refuse to warrant the repair. Just because of the hitch. It implys that additional loads are being placed on the bike beyond the designed intent. Even if you never pulled a trailer. Even when failures were occuring on basic stock bikes.

It is a difficult position to fight when they say no because of a modification.

bob

Some BMW warranty documents I have read did explicitly state that the motorcycle was not intended to either carry a sidecar or tow a trailer. It has been a few years and I don't remember which models. There were at least two time periods where it was likely they would say something along those lines: first when the Airhead /5 and later machines no longer had frame points for sidecars; and later when the classic K bikes had no mainframes to speak of. This latter point in the mid 1980s also roughly coincided with one of the time periods that a person could buy a Harley Davidson with a factory approved, if not factory equipped, sidecar.

As with all things warranty - it is best to get out a highlighter of the color of your choice and to thoroughly read and mark up the warranty that came with your motorcycle, noting any specifics which you think might apply to you and the way you use your motorcycle.

Wait three years then pull the trailer!

Jack

funny how such decisions are reached. I get swept up with the same decision whether my trailer is a little Uni-Go or some absolutely huge anchor like a large tent trailer loaded with gear. Hardly seems right although I suppose they have to have some basic guideline. I wonder how they assess two up riders with a combined body weight of 500 lbs...... it happens. Maybe they even bring some gear with them. Far fetched generally but I do wonder . - Bob

Just my opinion

Just my opinion, which changed over the years I had an RT. I think you might have warranty issues. The RT has plenty of power, yes, and once we got moving there was no problem. But, two up and pulling a trailer is a problem with the RT getting started in 1st gear. On a hill, especially, I could usually smell the clutch because I had to slip it to get going. Also, the trailer hitches for the RT are unsightly, IMHO. All these things, plus worry about potential FD failures with trailer towing made me go another direction. Just food for thought. Now, if you do decide to pull one, I would recommend Bustec for the hitch, and for the plug and play electronics. They have a plug and play, canbus isolater which plugs right into the BMW tail light connections, and (depending on your trailer) a 5 wire to 4 wire converter for the lights. BTW, if you convert 5 to 4 like I did, that conversion must be made prior to the canbus isolater to get it to work. If you try to convert the 5 wires coming out of the canbus isolater, it will not work. If you do it right, you end up with a spare, powered wire for an accessory. Hope this helps.

my 06r1200gs owners manual, says the warranty is void if a hitch is installed.
max

In the manual were they specific as to what parts were voided, such as power train? The manaul stating the "warranty is void " is a broad brush.

were they specific as to what parts were voided? The manual stating the "warranty is void " is a broad brush.

from the ......
consumer warranty information 2006 u.s. motorcycles booklet.
page 10 "This warranty does not apply to the following, maintenance, service and wear, batteries that exhibit neglect........
page 11, damage; this includes but is not limited to improper treatment, the installation of sidecars, 3 wheel conversions, trailer hitches, the towing of any description, corrosion from road salt.....etc, etc, etc.
:dunno
max

from the ......
consumer warranty information 2006 u.s. motorcycles booklet.
page 10 "This warranty does not apply to the following, maintenance, service and wear, batteries that exhibit neglect........
page 11, damage; this includes but is not limited to improper treatment, the installation of sidecars, 3 wheel conversions, trailer hitches, the towing of any description, corrosion from road salt.....etc, etc, etc.
:dunno
max

If I read that right there is no expressed warranty if the motorcycle has a side car, is a 3 wheeler, or pulls a trailer.

In some states there might remain statutory implied warranties. That takes more lawyers than I want to listen to.

But I bet the Federal requirement that they warranty the emissions control systems still remains.

Back