• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Used K1200LT?

RHedman

BigRig
Looking for some words of wisdom. I'm am looking at a 2004 LT, the price seems fair and my wife would like something more comforable on longer trips than my GSA. The owner has the maintence book stamped from the dealer on all services. Is there anything I should look for or any common issues with the LT. K bikes are new to me I have 3 boxers but never owned a K model. We only take 2-3 long bike trips a year, so I was looking at used LT or maybe Honda Goldwing . The BMW has just over 27k on the odo. I test drove a new 2009 LT and it rode very nice I have not ridden the 2004 LT. Also if anyone is on the larger, taller size any of your input on comfort would also be welcome. I am 6'5" and 270lbs.

as always thanks for any advise or input

BigRig

Lt

The engine and drivetrain are pretty close to being bulletproof.

In 2004 this was a two decade old basic design - the 2004 a 4 valve 1200 cc, the original a 2 valve 1000 cc - but basically the same proven design.

If the maintenace was dealer done and stamped, I can't see any problems there - my friend has a 2003 LT and is good for a solid 130 MPH or so. Compared to the R series... and I love those too.. the K has a much broader usable RPM range. The K can run at 6,000 + RPM for weeks without a problem... takes a bit of getting used to, they were simply designed to run at higher revs.

Unlike the Goldwing, the LT handles well.:german

with your height you may need to lower the pegs or add some highway pegs. Some people find the stock seat OK some do not.

There is a ton of info on the www.bmwlt.com site.

Roy

Hi,
The K1200LT's used in the Iron Butt have a reputation for the final drives going bad. It doesn't seem to be just one or two, either. Also, if the bike ever has any clutch problems, I understand it takes a couple of days of shop time to remove and replace a clutch because of everything which has to be removed to get to it. The K1200LT is wonderful - at speed. In town or in heavy traffic, it can be a handful.

Hi,
The K1200LT's used in the Iron Butt have a reputation for the final drives going bad. It doesn't seem to be just one or two, either. Also, if the bike ever has any clutch problems, I understand it takes a couple of days of shop time to remove and replace a clutch because of everything which has to be removed to get to it. The K1200LT is wonderful - at speed. In town or in heavy traffic, it can be a handful.

Final drive problems are also on the R1200RT and K12** Wedge.

The 04 model LT has had very few reported failures compared to the 99 - 02 models.

Clutch is a definite labor intensive repair. Usually this failure is from the clutch slave cylinder failing. This failure can be ruduced by drilling a weephole in the slave mounting boss so the fluid runs on the ground Vs being forced through the tranny input shaft and onto the clutch disc.

Roy

Us tall guys....

May want to look at a set of J-Pegs. You can stretch out a bit on longer runs.

Mrs2Beers loved riding two up on ours and felt very comfortable. She is 5'10" and our next bike will have adjustable passenger floor boards.

The higher rev thing does take a bit of getting used to. We loved ours very much!!
:blah

Thanks for the responses and helpful information. We are leaning toward the LT. Although we did muddy the waters a little last weekend and test drove a Victory Vision, nice bike, a little weird looking, but nice.

Thanks again everyone

BigRig:wave

Went from the ST1100 to the LT. I've never been happier. It does take some practice on low speed handling and maneuvering, but for cruising, I personally don't think anythings better.

Thanks again. Just picked up a 2002 LT with 26k on the clock. So far so good. Putting lowering pegs on next week.

:thumb

I got my 04 LT last June. I have rode almost 40,000 miles on it since & love every mile on it. A couple of tips. Make sure the handlebars are straight when you use the brakes just before a complete stop. If you hit the brakes with the bars turned to stop you will almost surley end up on the ground. Its just to hard to overcome the weight of the bike.

The beast will corner better than any other big touring bike there is. For example if you get into a right hand corner to hard just push the right bar forward & it will turn as good or better than most sport bikes.

Buy a Clymer manual & read it so you can do most of the maintenace yourself. Its not unusual to be several hundred miles from the nearest dealer. You don't want a simple little problem to end your ride for the day.

I see your from Michigan I am from Ann Arbor & now live in North Carolina. Good luck with your travels.:thumb

Back