• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Urgent - 2010 r1200rt (ibr bike) idle problem

D

D-Mac

EDIT: Dealer just phoned. It's fixed!!! Extended test ride shows no problems. I'm back in the game.

Hi folks,

I need your collective advice.

I'm in Seattle and just a couple of days away from the start of the 2011 Iron Butt Rally.

I took my 2010 R1200RT in for a 12,000 mile service today at a local dealer. When they fired up the bike to test ride it at the end of the service, it wouldn't idle properly. It would start, then rev up and down by itself. They had (have?) no idea why.

I left on a service loaner at 7pm and the master tech said he plans to stay up all night if needed to fix the problem. When I left he thought it must be a stepper motor. Seems strange since it was only in for a valve check, spark plugs, oil/FD oil changes and tires. They did NOT update the software (he confirmed that with me). He says he also ruled out vacuum lines, etc.

The bike has been running flawlessly until today's appointment. The dealer admits fault, and it's under warranty, and they're trying to make it right. I am not laying blame. They understand how much time, energy, and money I've sunk into riding in the IBR. I would appreciate any thoughts on what this might be or if anyone has experienced this type of problem before......

Thanks!

Dean McCurdy
(IBR hopeful!)

Did they tell you what the problem ended up being? This is similar to what mine is doing after the same service.

Back