• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Updating the engine management software - the new ECO option?

pmariana

Hi all,

I note that one of the developments to the 2021 R1250 GS/A models is the addition of an ECO option to the usual Road/Dynamic/Rain/Enduro engine mapping/control options,

does anyone know if I can get an update done to my 2019 model - is the ECO (and any other engine management upgrades) option just a software change (i.e., mapping) that my BMW shop can plug-in and do, is it a new plug that I can buy and switch out my first under-seat plug, or is there an actual hardware change as well?

cheers,

Peter

Is it all in software? Yes.

Can a dealer update our bike to include it? Highly unlikely, as BMW historically has not retroactively added software features -- something of a "leave the old bike software alone if it ain't broke" approach.

Doesn't hurt to ask your dealer - maybe a miracle has happened and BMW has changed its approach -- but don't go in with high hopes!

Is it all in software? Yes.

Can a dealer update our bike to include it? Highly unlikely, as BMW historically has not retroactively added software features -- something of a "leave the old bike software alone if it ain't broke" approach.

Doesn't hurt to ask your dealer - maybe a miracle has happened and BMW has changed its approach -- but don't go in with high hopes!

ABS Pro was not a option when we bought our bikes. I think it was a year latter we got a notice from BMW we could have that option added with a software download.

ABS Pro was not a option when we bought our bikes. I think it was a year latter we got a notice from BMW we could have that option added with a software download.
Very true, but I'd call that the exception to the general rule -- it is a significant safety upgrade (the kind of thing liability lawyers would say: "offer it so no one can say we "withheld a "vital" safety system that could have been easily installed"). Ditto TPM hardware and software.

But for something minor like addition of ECO mode to an older bike, I wouldn't want to bet the house on it. FWIW, I'd love to be wrong.

Very true, but I'd call that the exception to the general rule -- it is a significant safety upgrade (the kind of thing liability lawyers would say: "offer it so no one can say we "withheld a "vital" safety system that could have been easily installed"). Ditto TPM hardware and software.

But for something minor like addition of ECO mode to an older bike, I wouldn't want to bet the house on it. FWIW, I'd love to be wrong.

By the way. What is ECO?

The software change I'd really like to see would be to enable the option to change from mph to kph. It exists, it's shown in the manual, but it's been disabled for US-spec bikes (also Canadian-spec bikes, too, I'm told - they can only display metric). Eventually I'll ride in Canada and want to see miles (and distances) in kph/km instead of converting mph>kph and miles>km.

Oh, and disable that stupid indicator arrow that tells me to upshift if I'm holding a steady throttle over 2500 rpm.

<snip>
Oh, and disable that stupid indicator arrow that tells me to upshift if I'm holding a steady throttle over 2500 rpm.

On my '15 RT, there is a menu setting to enable/disable the shift-indicator. Has that disappeared on newer bikes? Or different model bikes?

Yes, from what I've read, ECO just softens the throttle response (kind of like rain mode) so I don't see how it would add any fuel savings droning down the interstate with the cruise on. Too bad. My r1200gs could use a bit more range.

Back