• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

U-Haul motorycle trailer

timmed

Hi all - Planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer to go touring with some friends. I live in Portland, OR. and will trailer my R1200RT there with my wife and start the tour once we get there (about 850 miles one-way). Pulling the trailer with my Toyota Rav4, with a V6, not ideal towing vehicle, but it should have plenty of power.

Does anyone have experience with the U-Haul motorcycle trailer? I have heard differing opinions about it, that the wheels are small, making it tricky to handle at highway speeds. I like the idea of using the smallest trailer I can get away with though, plus it has the builtin wheel chock.

My first time towing a bike, so would appreciate any tips you may have.

Thanks,Tim

I've used the U-Haul motorcycle trailer once. I would use it around town but not on the highway because the tires are small and they don't give you a spare with the trailer. But if you do rent it, take it out immediately on the highway empty to see if the tires vibrate from imbalance. The trailer I had vibrated at highway speed.

Hi all - Planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer to go touring with some friends. I live in Portland, OR. and will trailer my R1200RT there with my wife and start the tour once we get there (about 850 miles one-way). Pulling the trailer with my Toyota Rav4, with a V6, not ideal towing vehicle, but it should have plenty of power.

Does anyone have experience with the U-Haul motorcycle trailer? I have heard differing opinions about it, that the wheels are small, making it tricky to handle at highway speeds. I like the idea of using the smallest trailer I can get away with though, plus it has the builtin wheel chock.

My first time towing a bike, so would appreciate any tips you may have.

Thanks,Tim

When I need to do drop-off service at the dealership, I use the U-haul MC or 5x9' utility trailer. It's a 140 mile one-way trip on 4-lane East coast highways, US322 and I-78.

The Uhaul trailers do fine (seem to be built like the proverbial brick out-house) and my 4-cyl, 5-speed Tacoma doesn't have any problems. Not a bullet, but gets the job done.

Not having even seen a U-Haul motorcycle trailer, I took a look. If this is it-

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The 5 lug bolt pattern suggests to me 13" wheels.....yeah smallish but really not a problem......Think of the snowmobile trailers that are deck-overs- those are small tires and wheels.
As 36654 mentioned, U-Haul trailers are built for long life and very rugged. Anytime I tow (5 trailers), I put my hand on the hubs at a rest stop. Hot hubs are the most frequent indicator of a problem on the way.
If you want to take it a step further, you could see if your vehicle jack would work to change a tire, and bring a spare. There is a good chance someone you know has a spare you could borrow.
Nothing wrong with a day rental and practice loading with a drive to see how things feel. The only other suggestion is that if your tie-downs have an "open" hook, wrap the hook closed so the tie-down doesn't fall off due to "bump recoil". You may also need need some "soft hooks" such as the ones I use from Ancra-

X001-Y001.jpg

Good luck.
OM

A friend from Texas picked up a Guzzi in Minnesota with one of the small tire Uhaul trailers .
I think the trailer with the full size tire like the one Omega Man posted would be better.

IMG_0048.jpg

Here's a old Uhaul trailer a friend purchased.
P1000447.JPG

Thanks for all the feedback! That "55mph" suggested limit on the MC trailer does concern me a bit. Not that I am a speed demon, but there's a LOT of long, open road between here and Yellowstone. I'd prefer to go at least 65-70 most of the way, at least where the roads are straight.

I think I will try renting it for a trial run, my trip is not until August so I have plenty of time to experiment.

FWIW, I don't think there is a U-Haul trailer that doesn't say "55MPH" on it......No matter what size of configuration.
Good Luck
OM

This has nothing to do with trailers, but Yellowstone itself. Have you ever been to Yellowstone, or ever on a motorcycle?

I use to think that driving a moto through Yellowstone would be the coolest thing, no I can say that I'm over it. Six years ago I was there and came to a traffic jam, left room between my moto and the car in front in case the Bison wanted to cross the road. Well, as the Bison were walking towards us, I jumped in an RV behind me, watched the big BOSS of the herd cross in front of my moto to go to the other side, then, without warning, it turned all the way around and charged my moto, head down, horns locked and loaded for my saddle bag. Then, just as sudden as the attack was, the bison put both front legs out and came to a scretching stop, about 2 inches from my saddle bag, lifted his nose up and sniffed it, turned, and slowly walked away. OMG, if the Bison had punctured the saddle bag, it probably would have punctured the spare gas, then BOOOOM, no moto for me, but I'd have a bison rug.

The next day I had to stop again, but this time not many cars and there was a ranger directing with cars could continue on. He said I couldn't go until the Bison got off the road, I told him what happened the previous day and I was all about safety. Again, without warning, the bison charged head on, but the ranger had an air horn that sounded like a herd of animals running. The bison stopped, then charged a second time. What I didn't see, was a parked ranger car on my right, he gunned it, did a 'pit maneuver', hitting the bison on the hind quarters, spun the bison around, and encouraged the bison to keep walking away from me. OMG, I vowed to never ride a moto in that location again.

So this year, I went back to Yellowstone and found out that the Bison decided to go out and look where I might be, last time they were in one specific area, this time they were all over Yellowstone. I came up to several that were walking solo, some on the right side, some on the left side, but I would never drive along side one of them unless a car had passed and I could use the car as a shield.

Then that nice bear came towards us, I turned around, pulled over to a pull off thinking the bear would go on by but no, it had to turn and walk DIRECTLY in front of us. I had bear spray mounted on the moto for easy reach, so I was ready, but what I wasn't ready for, was when my wife hit me in the bark and started screaming over the intercom "IT STOPPED, IT'S LOOKING AT US". I was lucky she didn't knock me off the moto or make me drop the bear spray. The bear walked on, I reached into my pocket for some pain killers for my sore back.

Enjoy Yellowstone!

This has nothing to do with trailers, but Yellowstone itself. Have you ever been to Yellowstone, or ever on a motorcycle?

I use to think that driving a moto through Yellowstone would be the coolest thing, no I can say that I'm over it. Six years ago I was there and came to a traffic jam, left room between my moto and the car in front in case the Bison wanted to cross the road. Well, as the Bison were walking towards us, I jumped in an RV behind me, watched the big BOSS of the herd cross in front of my moto to go to the other side, then, without warning, it turned all the way around and charged my moto, head down, horns locked and loaded for my saddle bag. Then, just as sudden as the attack was, the bison put both front legs out and came to a scretching stop, about 2 inches from my saddle bag, lifted his nose up and sniffed it, turned, and slowly walked away. OMG, if the Bison had punctured the saddle bag, it probably would have punctured the spare gas, then BOOOOM, no moto for me, but I'd have a bison rug.

The next day I had to stop again, but this time not many cars and there was a ranger directing with cars could continue on. He said I couldn't go until the Bison got off the road, I told him what happened the previous day and I was all about safety. Again, without warning, the bison charged head on, but the ranger had an air horn that sounded like a herd of animals running. The bison stopped, then charged a second time. What I didn't see, was a parked ranger car on my right, he gunned it, did a 'pit maneuver', hitting the bison on the hind quarters, spun the bison around, and encouraged the bison to keep walking away from me. OMG, I vowed to never ride a moto in that location again.

So this year, I went back to Yellowstone and found out that the Bison decided to go out and look where I might be, last time they were in one specific area, this time they were all over Yellowstone. I came up to several that were walking solo, some on the right side, some on the left side, but I would never drive along side one of them unless a car had passed and I could use the car as a shield.

Then that nice bear came towards us, I turned around, pulled over to a pull off thinking the bear would go on by but no, it had to turn and walk DIRECTLY in front of us. I had bear spray mounted on the moto for easy reach, so I was ready, but what I wasn't ready for, was when my wife hit me in the bark and started screaming over the intercom "IT STOPPED, IT'S LOOKING AT US". I was lucky she didn't knock me off the moto or make me drop the bear spray. The bear walked on, I reached into my pocket for some pain killers for my sore back.

Enjoy Yellowstone!

I have been to Yellowstone, but not on a bike. I am familiar with all the traffic nightmares and the bison, not ideal riding all the time. We are actually staying in Emigrant, Montana, about 30 minutes outside the park. I think we will do most of our riding outside the park, and only spend a day or two inside.

I've done a 1,800 mile trip with one, 900 miles empty and 900 with a bike loaded on a U-Haul like in Omega Man's picture. Like has been mentioned, those trailers are very sturdy and tow well. Follow OM's advice.

Also, figure out ahead of time where you're tie-down points are going to be on the bike. What yr/model do you have? Depending on the bike it can be fairly easy to tie it down without needing to compress the suspension at all or very much. Don't fall into the trap of trying to "tighten" everything down so there is no movement whatsoever. The floor of the trailer holds the weight of the bike, and the tie-downs only need to keep it upright, just like your legs do at a stop sign, but that's about the bike, not towing the trailer.

I'd feel the limiting factor to your stability will be the Rav4, not the trailer, not that it won't do it fine, just that being a small/medium SUV, it has a shorter wheelbase and higher center of gravity than ideal, but all that means is you won't have as stable a situation at 70+ mph as one would want, but everyone has their own comfort zones. The U-Haul trailer is not supposed to be towed at over 55mph (likely a U-Haul liability setting), but for my trip, I set my cruise control at 60-65 mph and enjoyed the scenery. I've towed much more with larger vehicles at higher speeds, but, to each their own.

Have a great trip!

I have a Toyota Venza, with same engine as the RAV4. Also have a small bike trailer with small wheels/tires. I do replace the tires regularly, The trailer/bike have always been stable behind my Venza, despite the small tires. The only difference I would think might be between my setup and your U Haul Trailer, could be the U Haul might be a heavier trailer, but I would not be concerned with your setup with the U Haul.

U-Haul rents several different small trailers that are suitable for a motorcycle. For some reason (around here at least), they do not rent the 'pure motorcycle trailer' for one-way trips. You have to return it where you rented it.

I have used the larger 5' x 9' trailer that several others have recommended. It is a solid trailer, and I had no problems hauling my bike. There is also space in the trailer to stow other gear. With one bike on the trailer I carried two containers like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX27GONLINE-5/205978361

strapped to the floor for miscellaneous gear. They are not secure, however, so you would want to put them in your vehicle or hotel room at night.

The newer 5' x 9' trailers have a V-notch in the front for a motorcycle front wheel. It makes the tie down a little more secure. If you call your dealer a week before your pickup date and request one, they can usually have one with the V-notch on hand for you.

Cheers, Ken

Plus 1 for OM's comment about open hooks coming loose on bumps. There is not much to the U-Haul "wheel chock."

I'd probably consider using an enclosed trailer, if the bike fits. Wouldn't have to worry about rain, road debris, etc.

Ski

I have been to Yellowstone, but not on a bike. I am familiar with all the traffic nightmares and the bison, not ideal riding all the time. We are actually staying in Emigrant, Montana, about 30 minutes outside the park. I think we will do most of our riding outside the park, and only spend a day or two inside.

FWIW, I did YELLOWSTONE this last August. Not too impressed. Besides congested traffic, creepers (3-5 mph crowd) that don't pull over, an active fire and probably a third of the trees dead from Pine Mountain Beetle infestation (which robs wildlife of cover and keeps them away from the roads), it looked a lot like other areas I've ridden in in other states, and nothing like the majesty of Colorado.

I also rode the southern route thru the park, so maybe the northern loop would be better. If ever back there, I'll give that one a try. Just wasn't the 'Nature's Disneyland' I was expecting.

The trailer that Omega Man had pictured looks beefy enough for your needs. And yes - all their trailers 'officially' limit you to 55 mph, per their insurance underwriters. Just check everything over well, carry a spare and travel the posted speeds - you should be fine. :thumb

I've ridden my 12GS thru Yellowstone 5 or 6 times. Never had a problem other than morons in cars stopping in the road. Just go around them and enjoy.

Back