• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Troubleshooting cruise control

T

theverns

I just replaced the Bowden cable on my cruise (K1200LT) and it will not hold the set speed. When set it drops down to about 25 mph and holds. The cable is adjusted in accordance with the service manual.

I noticed that with the bike off I can pull the cable out about three inches befor the butterfly assembly starts to move.

Has anybody got troubleshooting knowledge of cruise controls

Attachments

• DSC02315.JPG
    DSC02315.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 72
I just replaced the Bowden cable on my cruise (K1200LT) and it will not hold the set speed. When set it drops down to about 25 mph and holds. The cable is adjusted in accordance with the service manual.

I noticed that with the bike off I can pull the cable out about three inches befor the butterfly assembly starts to move.

Has anybody got troubleshooting knowledge of cruise controls

Vern..
I have the diags on a CD at home.. If you need me to, I can pull up the diags tomorrow.

:brad

cruise control

It appears that the actual stainless steel cable inside the Bowden cable from the cruise control servo motor box to the fuel rail is too long. It cannot be adjusted to eliminate the free play in the cable. This prevents the control servo motor from maintianing speed. Looks like I got a defective part brom BMW. Hard to believe.

What cd's do you have? Are they of the service manual? Do they contain troubleshooting tips? Do they have electrical diagrams? My service manual was printed from cd but only tells how to do routine maintenance and how to replace parts. Not much on troubleshooting.

How's thangs in Round Rock. I am an original Texan (Texas City) presently residing in south New Jersey.

Verns... your description makes it sound like you are missing the "insert" in the cable. In about the middle of the cable there is a "insert" that you put "inline"... it extends the sheath and in doing so "takes up"/shortens the length of the cable. Has that been done or is it missing?

The pic you posted is a fairly accurate representation fo what I have.

The replacement cable comes in three pieces, all assembled together with a compressed brass fitting on each end (this precludedes the cable slipping out of the assembly). One end has the cable attachment to the servo unit. In the middle is a metal sheath with an adjuster for cable end play and the other end screws into a plate just beneath the fuel rail. The fuel rail end is adjusted to 0.3?? inches clearance IAW the service manual. Cable slack is supposed to be taken up by the middle metal sheath adjuster but it will not come close to doing the job. I have about 2 inches of play at the end.

Are you talking about a slotted piece of metal that is beveled on one end? Because I think I remember seeing one roll away on the shop floor @ disassembly.

Hold the presses-I just found the little bugger on the shop floor and inserting it takes up the proper amount of slack. Thanks a bunch you have been a great help-Hope I have a chance to return the favor.

I would still like to know where you got the cd's for service and if there are any good publications on troubleshooting electronics or fuel management issues.

Last edited:
Vern,
Here's a link.. this is where I bought my Service CD and Electrical CD for my 2005.

There isn't a "list" of diag procedures.. but good data for pics, processes, etc. This is a journey of discovery..

Enjoy...

If there's anything else, send a note... I don't get to check here too often since I spend most of my time out on the BMWLT site....:brow

Peace..

Back