• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trip out west to Utah

boogerman

Booger Man
Planning a trip out to Utah this summer. I have a new RT and was wondering if anyone has taken their street bike down the Burr trail from Boulder Utah to Bullfrog Landing. I don’t mind dirt roads and a little gravel but not fond of a bunch gravel.

This video link below should give you an idea on what you will see out there. UT 12 is already a mind-blowing stunner to ride but Burr puts you into the backcountry a bit more. One word of advice, make sure to pack plenty of water and never pass up an opportunity to get fuel even if you have half a tank...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPeAuqCyvrs

Initially, the road is all paved and even with that, the scenery is stunning. As you enter the Capitol Reef Boundary, the road turns to dirt. Some is firmly packed and relatively easy to maneuver. But there are also some switchbacks and soft sand which can be tricky, if not dangerous with street tires. My suggestion is to try it, but not be afraid to call it off and reverse course if it gets too hard to handle. If you are into hiking, there is a trail not far past the park boundary called Upper Muley Twist Canyon, which leads to one of the most scenic views I've ever experienced, overlooking the Waterpocket Fold.

Pretty marginal for an RT, and if any rain out of the question. the switchbacks at the fold are dirt also. The bullfrog crossing and ferry are closed as the lake is the lowest seen since 2005. from Boulder you can find 2-3 mi of paving and thats it.

Did it 2-years ago, wish I had a buddy with me...

The road is a lot of gravel and I thought for sure I was lost several times (though there are no real turn-offs). I had 80-20 tires on and that was okay but if you ride normal RT street tires you'll be pretty tired when you get to the ferry crossing. It was also closed when I did this (the recording said it was open) so I too had to partially back track to the bridge to keep moving east. But I'll do it again...maybe next year.

This video link below should give you an idea on what you will see out there. UT 12 is already a mind-blowing stunner to ride but Burr puts you into the backcountry a bit more. One word of advice, make sure to pack plenty of water and never pass up an opportunity to get fuel even if you have half a tank...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPeAuqCyvrs

I second UT 12. I rode that after Das Rally in Salt Lake City 2017. The scenery is amazing.

Back