• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

zenwhipper

I am looking for information on what trickle charger to buy for my new RT. I just came from an FJR and I used a Battery Tender for years. But, I think, given the CANBUS system, one needs a special type of charger? Lastly- my RT did come with an SAE battery connector tucked under the right side of the trellis frame - I assume this is a direct link to the battery and this is where one would plug in a charger?

Grazi. Appreciate the help.

Scott

Battery tender

I am looking for information on what trickle charger to buy for my new RT. I just came from an FJR and I used a Battery Tender for years. But, I think, given the CANBUS system, one needs a special type of charger? Lastly- my RT did come with an SAE battery connector tucked under the right side of the trellis frame - I assume this is a direct link to the battery and this is where one would plug in a charger?

Grazi. Appreciate the help.

Scott

Many battery tenders come with a quick disconnect plug that hooks directly to the battery. Run that cable to a readily accessible place on the frame or under the seat. Don't bother with expensive connectors that go through the CANBUS. Simplicity is reliable.

my RT did come with an SAE battery connector tucked under the right side of the trellis frame - I assume this is a direct link to the battery and this is where one would plug in a charger?

That's correct. With the pigtail going direct to the battery you can use your old battery charger.

Avoid the Canbus issues by running a pigtail, with fuse direct to battery
I put a BMW/Din plug in the panel behind battery on right side with a fuse, other location recommended is below the factory plug on right fairing. In either case no charging issues and doubles as connector for heated gear. Charger is a optimate4, both charges and conditions battery

Lastly- my RT did come with an SAE battery connector tucked under the right side of the trellis frame - I assume this is a direct link to the battery and this is where one would plug in a charger?

Scott,

We don't have an RT, we have an RS Wethead.

Those SAE connectors can be for batteries or heated gear or...

None of the accessories or options BMW offered for the 2016 R1200RS called for an SAE connector to be installed.

If the SAE connector came with the bike you might want to ask where you bought it what the connector was installed for, just to know for sure.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Scott,

We don't have an RT, we have an RS Wethead.

Those SAE connectors can be for batteries or heated gear or...

None of the accessories or options BMW offered for the 2016 R1200RS called for an SAE connector to be installed.

If the SAE connector came with the bike you might want to ask where you bought it what the connector was installed for, just to know for sure.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

My dealer routinely installs the SAE connector on new bikes. I made this discovery after the purchase of a new pigtail with fuse.

Is it a gel battry?

Just a note - I wonder if the battery on your RS is a gel, and my experience is that a 'standard' tender may not be able to charge. May need a charger that acomidates a gel battery - there's something different there. Yea, I ended up buying one as the old tender wouldn't charge it.

A more informed person on the forum may explain.

Good luck

Thanks for the comments. So -it looks like the dealer installed pig tail will do the trick by using a std trickle charger - cool. I'll just want to verify it goes direct to battery (and has an inline fuse).

Lastly- not sure how the RS information got into the thread. I swear to god my bike is an RT! :thumb

Thanks

Check Fuse

Howdy,
My RT came with a coax plug to the battery. Check the fuse rating installed. Mine was only 3 amps and left me cold on my first long ride with the bike when it blew from my electric liner. 10 amps should handle everything including the wire going to the battery, air compressors, battery tenders, etc.
Later,
Norm

Thanks for the comments. So -it looks like the dealer installed pig tail will do the trick by using a std trickle charger - cool. I'll just want to verify it goes direct to battery (and has an inline fuse).

Lastly- not sure how the RS information got into the thread. I swear to god my bike is an RT! :thumb

Thanks

The RT uses a different size AGM battery than the R/RS/GS models, but they all have a AGM battery.

I have a '16 RT, I ran the fused connector for my gerbing heated clothing directly to battery and use that same connector for my battery tender.

If for any reason you decide not to use the pigtail approach, the Optimate 4 is a Canbus charger that comes with a connector to fit the BMW. Easy to just plug in the accessory port.

If for any reason you decide not to use the pigtail approach, the Optimate 4 is a Canbus charger that comes with a connector to fit the BMW. Easy to just plug in the accessory port.

Even with the pigtail approach - the best way to go - the Optiimate is just fine. Do not overthink this. It is just battery charging.

CAN Bus charger

I find this quite confusing. My BMW dealer gave me a nice discount on an otherwise very expensive charger, 77 02 8 551 897, for my 2016 R1200RT. It appears that it can be plugged into the onboard socket to maintain the battery over the winter. Anyone have any experience with this charger? I don't want to fry the CAN BUS (whatever that is). Also do you recommend Stabil in the gas on the new bikes? Bike will probably be idle now for up to 3 months.

Gateway BMW (St. Louis) installs a CTEK pigtail on every bike they sell. Been using a CTEK charger for years with no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find this quite confusing. My BMW dealer gave me a nice discount on an otherwise very expensive charger, 77 02 8 551 897, for my 2016 R1200RT. It appears that it can be plugged into the onboard socket to maintain the battery over the winter. Anyone have any experience with this charger? I don't want to fry the CAN BUS (whatever that is). Also do you recommend Stabil in the gas on the new bikes? Bike will probably be idle now for up to 3 months.

You, and every owner of a bike that has a CANBUS, should read this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

You might not be an electrical engineer and be able to understand 100% of the article, but you will get a darn good idea of what it is.

If you go to the SLC Rally, and the Optimate guy has a booth there as he did at Das Rally, stop and ask some questions. I found him very informative.

My bike came with a direct connection dongle and I use an Optimate 4 in the direct mode. I could use the CANBUS mode, but prefer a simple direct connection.

I've used the OEM charger for years. I am currently using it on my 2016 RT. I ride the bike into the garage turn the bike off, plug it into the oem socket, walk away; takes 1.5 seconds, the one I'm using now has lasted 4 years no problems, I highly recommend it.
E1FA9B65-FBB8-4713-B58D-507D173FA9A5.jpg

Back